Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is there a starter wire anywhere on the passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there a starter wire anywhere on the passenger side?

Well a few days ago, my friend's Camaro was stolen from the same parking garage that I park in. Needless to say, it's a little unnerving parking there now. So I figured i'd install a simple starter kill relay to tide me over until I can afford a nice DEI alarm.

Well I want to install something like Brent Franker's starter kill, where he put the relay on the passenger side. However, he performed this on a 96 Camaro, and there's a purple starter wire running on the passener side, just behind the glove box. However, on my 02, it seems there's no such wire. I tested most of the wires (the thicker gauge ones, at least) coming out of the BCM, and none of them are starter wires.

Is there a starter wire anywhere at all on the passenger side? Or at least the passenger side engine bay? Also, the starter wire coming off the ignition switch is supposed to be yellow, correct? I took a look under there, and saw no yellow wires coming out of the steering column?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The yellow with black wire in the 32-pin blue connector at the BCM is the starter relay control wire. It won't be a large gauge wire because it merely controls the starter relay. However, if you interrupt it (put a switch inline) the car won't start.

This won't stop a determined thief because they can always use a jumper cable from the battery to the starter or bypass the relay under the hood. For that matter, they can always push start a manual transmission car. You might want to consider some kind of ignition interrupt that would be harder to bypass.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

To revive a thread.....whats the best starter bypass other than the window switch mod ? Ive done the search and was wondering what everybody ended up doing.....

Last edited by Jayh; 09-25-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

maybe instead of a starter kill switch, a fuel pump kill switch or why not both for that matter