Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno

Anyone know where the nearest dyno shop is to Oak Harbor, and how much does it cost to run? Im curious I have never done it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

I know of 1 in Marysville. Little Monsters, 360-657-3659, talk to Mike, $75 for 3 pulls (a/f but no tuning).

Mark
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Launching!

what do you mean three pulls, and a/f but no tuning..?? What do I do on a "pull"? I have never been to a dyno shop .
Old 10-21-2005, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lunchbox01
what do you mean three pulls, and a/f but no tuning..?? What do I do on a "pull"? I have never been to a dyno shop .
The shop with the dyno will strap your car down with tow straps so the rear wheels are on the dyno's drums. Then they'll hook up some sensors to your exaust pipes and a spark sensor that clamps onto your spark plug wire. Then they'll run the car to redline in 4th gear 3 times (hence the 3 pulls). And on each run the computer will calculate the cars air to fuel ratio to see it its lean (more air) or rich (more fuel) along with a dyno graph that shows what HP you have at what RPM. Typically you use the A/F pulls to tune the car, but it's always good to see what your A/F is.

Go to the dynamometer section of this page and search for some dyno graphs so you know what one looks like.

Hope that helped.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Launching!

thanx!!! It did help.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I'll second WAHUSKER's recommendation. They apparently go by Marysville Speed 'n Custom now, but Mike is still the guy to talk to. Last time I was there they were able to get me in the following afternoon for a few pulls. I'll be back there probably late next week myself.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Really? I was planning to go next week also to get some post-stall converter, pre-stroker/blower numbers. Maybe I'll see you there....

PS excellent explanation Jon! One more detail, they 'drive' your car on the dyno, for insurance reasons & so you don't break their dyno. That usually suprises most people....
Old 10-21-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Really? I was planning to go next week also to get some post-stall converter, pre-stroker/blower numbers. Maybe I'll see you there....
Maybe so. I was going to shoot for Friday afternoon, but I haven't called yet so not sure if they'll have an opening...
Old 10-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

carb connection is my preferred shop. Alex is the shiz.

Nate
Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I know of 1 in Marysville. Little Monsters, 360-657-3659, talk to Mike, $75 for 3 pulls (a/f but no tuning).

Mark
$75 is a decent price for 3 dyno pulls! Is there anyone who has a dyno that does "good quality" dyno tunes around here? I will need to have my car tuned after I get my LT's put on. And I'd like to see what kind of HP I'm making.

Ellis- I'd love to have you tune my car, but I would like to know what kind of power its making as well. Maybe when we come to that bridge we can come up with something.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Regular

if anyone is going to the dyno with Ellis for the tunes, drop me a note, I'll join you. If we get a few people to go together maybe we can score a good deal
Old 10-21-2005, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by longdaddy
if anyone is going to the dyno with Ellis for the tunes, drop me a note, I'll join you. If we get a few people to go together maybe we can score a good deal
I'm up for that.........but it'll be a little while for me. Ellis is fixing some install mistakes made by another shop and then when I get it back, I have to drive it a little bit to see if she's all better before I got and install my headers. Then I have to save up some cash (way too much debt from this nightmare experience) to get the tune.

I'm guessing February at the earliest for me, maybe even later! who knows.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:36 PM
10 Second Club

Hows your car running? Do you like it?

I was thinking the other day after I met you at dyno day. Didn't you used to have a GTO? or am I thinking of someone else?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

it's running good and I am way more confortable giving it some go nowdays. Ellis leaned it out a little in open loop, this got rid of my morning backfires and I am getting slightly better MPG (since my commute is mostly cold engine, like 5-10 minutes each way, I really should be walking to work ).

You're thinking someone else though, I used to have a Z28

What did you guys find in your transmission?
Old 10-22-2005, 06:27 AM
10 Second Club

it's running good and I am way more confortable giving it some go nowdays. Ellis leaned it out a little in open loop, this got rid of my morning backfires and I am getting slightly better MPG (since my commute is mostly cold engine, like 5-10 minutes each way, I really should be walking to work ).

You're thinking someone else though, I used to have a Z28

What did you guys find in your transmission?
We haven't opened up the transmission.........and I hope we don't have to! Ellis has checked out everything else in the drive train though. What a mess.

So with the car tuned a bit, it should have quite a bit more power from last time huh? And can you feel more HP now?

What are your list of mods? Or are you going to keep it stock.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I used to organize dyno days at Turbo Tech. They USED to only charge $40 for 2-3 pulls at the group rate..
Old 10-22-2005, 12:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Compstall
I used to organize dyno days at Turbo Tech. They USED to only charge $40 for 2-3 pulls at the group rate..
Last time they had a dyno day it sounded like it was only $20 per pull! Don't quote me on that, but that was great deal. I was having issues with my car (still am) and also just had a new rear differential installed which needed to be babied. Shitty timing for me.........but it was fun to watch and meet/talk to everyone. I like **** like that. I wish we had car get togethers every week like the ford guys here in Puyallup. Unfortunately we are all spread out so much that it would be difficult to have a routine.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

It's staying stock for now... I'll do zip tie mod just before a dyno tune but that's it. The real mod in the works is some performance driving classes on the track, I am trying to find something in the area right now.

Not sure if it picked up any power after the last adjustment, I started chirping tires here and there, but I think it's because I actually feel safer now finding the right gear and pushing the pedal all the way down

I'm glad you decided to have Ellis go through your problems, I'm sure you'll be running like new in no time
Old 10-22-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

I'm glad you decided to have Ellis go through your problems, I'm sure you'll be running like new in no time
I hope so.........I really want to get these headers off my floor and into the car. Not to mention I miss her so much.

What is the zip tie mod? Is it worth doing? I have heard of it but don't know what it is.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

here you go

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29243