Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

alternator @$#%&!!! (please help!!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternator @$#%&!!! (please help!!)

ok a while back i did an underdrive crank pulley.. all seemed ok... after i bought new spkrs that allowed me to turn my 1500.1 rf amp up to its potential (seeing that i might need more power i also bought a 3 farad cap and installed it on the bass amp only) .. after all this i noticed my voltage was real real low (say 10-12v) and mabye 12-13 with the engine running 3000 rpm with no acessory drag... my prob is as of now im highs amp keeps cutting out beacouse my voltage is dropping inthe the low 11 volts.... furthermore i thought i could correct this prob by installing an alternator OVERDRIVE pulley after doing so the alternator does not seem to charge bareley at all.. voltage is still low if i rev it to 2000-2500 i do see the vo9ltage go from 12-13 volts but it wont hit 14 ever and seems like its not really charging....IS MY ALTERNATOR BAD????????

also could this be the pulley is loose i used a screwdriver to stop the internal blades and hand tightened it as much as my stregnth alowed.. at the first startup after this i swore for a seccond it was at 14v but then it dropped back off.... Whats going on??????
Old 10-21-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try beefing up the cables from the alternator to the battery, and battery to chassis ground. That's the only thing I can think of that might help. If that doesn't work, I think your going to have to look for a better alternator.

Use a voltmeter to compare the voltage at the alt/batt against the voltage at the amplifier power input. It should be close to the same reading. If it is not, the problem is power cable from the battery to the amplifier, or the amp doesn't have a good ground.