Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Helping me on my system PART II

Old 10-21-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Helping me on my system PART II

(picture below of new system)

Alright guys.... I have been messing with my audio system after i noticed that i was getting a annoying feedback noise, and my music just didn't sound right. I realized that one channel on one of my 2 kenwood amps was dead (kec-746 a 35X4 RMS amp @ 4ohms)... so i saved up my $$ and picked up 2 JL 300/4 amps for a reallly good deal

Now i have a few questions/concerns for you audio masters....

1) My tweeters are 6ohms and im wiring each side together so the amp will pick it up @ 3 ohms. All of my other stuff is 4ohms, will this be cool for the jl's?

2) my old amps had a RMS of 35 watts, which was cool for all of my speakers, but now the monster jl amp will be delivering 75X4 RMS @ 4 ohms to my speakers, but that is way over my pack seat set of pioneer midranges that have an RMS of 35 watts. Im thinking i can just turn to my electronic crossover and make sure that i wont give it as much power?!? is this possible?

What should i do with the speakers and the MB Quarts with i dont know the RMS of. I dont want to blow any speakers with my new system.

3) I will actually be hooking up my massive 2 JL subs, but i didnt bother to put them in the picture becasue they are not of my concern right now. But they will be there for thoes of you who are wondering if im going to have a "complete" sound system.

4) any other suggestion comments about the system....?!?

Thanks guys your the best!

Old 10-21-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Regular

ttt anybody?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

tweeters will be fine at 3ohm

don't stop your amp from feeding the extra power to those speakers

I have 100 watts going to each of my door speakers

the extra power will help it prevent from distorting under high volume
Old 10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

ttt anybody else?
Old 10-23-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

ttttt
Old 10-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FLAWLS1T/A
1) My tweeters are 6ohms and im wiring each side together so the amp will pick it up @ 3 ohms. All of my other stuff is 4ohms, will this be cool for the jl's?
Per JL's site those amps are rated at 75w from 1.5ohm to 4ohm. So your tweeters should be fine.
But I'm not exactly sure how you're wiring them?
They are in the kick panels, correct? Is there also a driver in those kick panels in addition to the 4 pioneer speakers? So then you'd be wiring the driver and tweeter in the kick panel in parallel on each side?

2) my old amps had a RMS of 35 watts, which was cool for all of my speakers, but now the monster jl amp will be delivering 75X4 RMS @ 4 ohms to my speakers, but that is way over my pack seat set of pioneer midranges that have an RMS of 35 watts. Im thinking i can just turn to my electronic crossover and make sure that i wont give it as much power?!? is this possible?
With those JL amps you can get rid of that crossover. The amps have good crossovers in them that are adjustable from 50hz to 5khz and have an adjustable slope as well.
I don't think you'll blow speakers by feeding them clean power from the JL's. Set the high pass on those speakers high enough to where you aren't distorting the lower frequencies and they should be fine.
Last, a crossover won't necessarily make it so that your reducing power to a speaker, just cutting frequencies that the speaker might not be able to handle cleanly at higher volumes.

What should i do with the speakers and the MB Quarts with i dont know the RMS of. I dont want to blow any speakers with my new system.
Just high pass them to where they aren't trying to reproduce frequencies that they can't handle.

3) I will actually be hooking up my massive 2 JL subs, but i didnt bother to put them in the picture becasue they are not of my concern right now. But they will be there for thoes of you who are wondering if im going to have a "complete" sound system.
Hopefully to another amp and not the JL's? Cause you've already got could be 8 speakers running off of them. You could do it though.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

thanks a lot SICK WS 6 for your help.... but im not getting to get rid of the passive crossover... i can fine tune my system wayyyy more then the jl's ever could... I just like that fact that an active electronic crossover processes your audio signal before it reaches your amplifier, so it's unaffected by speaker impedance and makes your system far more efficient. Installed at the preamp level, it lets your amp concentrate its full power solely on those frequencies it passes to your speakers. more more info in my crossover...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3275.html#

Last edited by FLAWLS1T/A; 10-23-2005 at 05:45 PM.

Search this Thread