Thinking of Buying This Car - Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying This Car - Please Advise

http://members.aol.com/BillyTFried/WV_Camaro.doc

I have a few questions so far.

By looking at the Carfax it seems to me that this car may have lived it's whole life so far as a rental car. Am I right? And if so would you consider that a reason not to buy it?

Also, they said the car is 100% stock, but is that exhaust really stock? It looks like an aftermarket catback to me, but maybe it came with the chrome wheels and CD changer in a factory option package?

And lastly, look at the pic of the convertible top. Is there something wrong with it at the top of the rear glass window?

If the car is still worth buying how much should I offer the guy? As it is I will need the car shipped from WV to CA, and he is already slightly above the TMV price for the car.

Thanks guys.

-Bill
Old 10-21-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks real clean! Def not a bad deal for a z28 vert with leather and all the options, but still def try to get the price down, no reason to not try and negoiate. In addition looks like an aftermarket catbaxck and the tips are def not that of a stock z28. Look under the car and see if it is a diff muffler as it looks like its a flowmaster cvatback with those tips (could be a stock exhaust system though with aftermarket tips). Listen too to see if it is loud at all if you test drive it. If it is this can also be a bargaining point. When I got my z28 the original owner left the car stock except he had put on an SLP LM catback and I used that as a bargaining point saying that it was too loud for my tastes (not the case at all but got them to drop the price a grand). Overall looks like a very nice car, def try to get it!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Whoops didnt see your away from the guy and need it shipped, either way looks real nice and id try to low ball him for the hell of it, see if he is willing to budge off the price, good luck though as it looks like a sweet ride!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

But was this car a rental car? And should that be a major sticking point if it was?
Also if the exahust is a factory SLP option shouldnt that be printed on the door jam?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

I dont see it as being a rental car all its life by looking at the car fax...to me it looks like it was a leased car, then sold several times. Also did any one else notice in the last picture, the front clip looks slightly darker in color than the hood...not sure if this is just the lighting or not. As for the exhaust, my guess is that it just has different tips, back when I had my Z28 the first thing to go were the stock tips, but I still had stock exhaust for a few months with different tips. Looks like a nice car though, deffinately work looking into buying.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try and find something more local... I mean, that looks like a real clean car. But take it from a person who made the mistake of buying a car without looking at it first, do NOT do it.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

it sounds like the car just got issued to one person so that the company could use it as a tax write off

private party retail (8,700) would be what id pay for it
Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

oh.. my bad I didnt realize the car wasnt local. If you cant see the car before you buy it I wouldnt recomend it. I have boughten cars that were 500 miles away but I drove to see them and then bought them. My dad purchased a '70 chevelle SS that was across the country, but we drove to see it before we bought it. Point is it can be risky to purchase a car without actually looking it over in person. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edit: By the way, if you are really interested in buying a car you would be better off flying out to the car and looking it over and drive it home, and if it isnt what you expected then you are only out the money you spent to fly there and back...if you purchase it without seeing it you will be out the money of the car itself plus the shipping costs.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Looks really clean for a 98. Chances of it being a rental all it's life are slim and none, more towards none, after a rental goes so many miles it's time for it to be let loose into society, probably was as mentioned earlier, a leased vehicle. I agree with what a lot of people wrote, look for something local. The price their asking is too big of a risk, they need to lower their asking price if you ask me.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

find something more local and cheaper. ive seen a whole lot of 98s lately going for 8-9k. im not a fan of convertibles either.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

The problem with finding a local car is that it seems I just can't.
I will only get the car that is exactly what I want:
STOCK, Silver Convertible Z28 or SS with leather and 6-speed.
Under 70k miles and around $10k.
I don't think I am ever gonna find that down the street from me and I have been looking for months.
And I want a damn car already.
Do you really think there's that much I will be able to discover about the car by flying from CA to WV to kick the tires and look under the car, maybe sit in it and rev the motor a bit? Take it for a spin?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

The problem with finding a local car is that it seems I just can't.
I will only get the car that is exactly what I want:
STOCK, Silver Convertible Z28 or SS with leather and 6-speed.
Under 70k miles and around $10k.
I don't think I am ever gonna find that down the street from me and I have been looking for months.
And I want a damn car already.
Do you really think there's that much I will be able to discover about the car by flying from CA to WV to kick the tires and look under the car, maybe sit in it and rev the motor a bit? Take it for a spin?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd try to hook up with someone from that area in the regional forum here and offer maybe $50 to someone to go to that dealership and look it over and take it for a drive.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

The dealer says it was not a rental.
He says it was owned by a business owner who registered it as his company vehicle for tax purposes.

Yeah, a 5.7 liter V8 SIX SPEED STICK SHIFT Rental car does sound odd to me too.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me, pictures can be deceiving...
And obviously if the car has other problems, they aren't going to tell you about them.
Does the car come with a warranty, that would make it a little better.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BillyT
Yes, a picture won't tell you if the motor knocks like crazy, or it smokes going down the road, or it veers left above 50, or the trans grinds like hell going into 3rd, or the rear whines like a 2 yo with no toys, taking for a drive (even if you're not Mr Goodwrench) can tell you alot more about a car than a bunch of pics on the net
Old 10-21-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Yes, a picture won't tell you if the motor knocks like crazy, or it smokes going down the road, or it veers left above 50, or the trans grinds like hell going into 3rd, or the rear whines like a 2 yo with no toys, taking for a drive (even if you're not Mr Goodwrench) can tell you alot more about a car than a bunch of pics on the net

I've been in that situation...