Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not happy with Shilf Kit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 03:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not happy with Shilf Kit!

I had a Trans Go Shilt Kit put in my car today.Atfer they installed it we took it out for a test drive everything was find.
Then while driving hope I notice when I got on the turn pike it took awile to shilt into 4th gear It always shifts into overdrive with no problem, but I notice that it would take awile to shift into 4 th gear.
Also the SES light came on right after I put gas into it.
If anyone knows whats going on with this please help.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Overdrive is 4th gear, so I'm not sure what you're saying. My advice would be to drive it for a couple of weeks, pay attention to what it's doing, and see if you really have a complaint. Is your gas cap on tight? A loose one will give you a SES light.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find out what set the ses light off and theres half your answer.
What year is it?
Any programming done.
My guess is you're feeling the torque converter since it no longer has PWM.
The torque converter is going to lock up in third, when it commands a fourth gear shift it's going to unlock, shift, lock back up. It has always done this except before it would pulse the torque converter lock up so it would be smooth.
Thats my guess going with no vehicle information, no kit installation specifics, no other vehicle or transmission modifications, etc.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

I'd like to know how many miles on the trans and what other mods you have. I started to experience the same thing about 2 months ago. About a month ago I lost 2nd gear and thought it was the forward clutch going bad on me. Then about 3 days ago I lost 4th gear. Now I'm thinking I burned up the 2-4 band.

Check your SES light. It could be you didn't tighten up the gas cap all the way. Hopefully you are not having the same problem I did! BTW, I only had 23,000 miles on my trans when it went.

Good luck
Old 10-23-2005, 03:10 AM
11 Second Club

Went to Auto Zone ,and they scane it. Came up with PO 1880 Transmission malfuncion
They turn the light off for me. Going to take it on the highway tommorow. Could not today due to rain ,got BFG Drag radies on the back ,and they are not in good shape.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't P1870?
Thats the code for converter slipping or not locking.
The shift kit uses a tcc apply valve thats supposed to prevent this. If theres some trash, even lint from a shop rag on the valve it might cause problems until you run it for a while.

When I installed the kit in my car it was doing some weird stuff, like not starting off in first everytime, I was sure everything went in clean. About 50 miles the problems went away and it's been fine since.

What year is your car?
The kit comes with different tcc valves, I hope they put the right one in. If the kit is used in earlier transmissions the original tcc valve needs to be cut in half and used with the new valve.
If the transmission has been rebuilt they usually ream the valve body bore for a bigger tcc valve, if this were the case you need to order an oversized valve from transgo.
Whatever the problem is a P1870 code means a transmission component is slipping, check the fluid. It might go away when all the air bleeds out of everything thats been opened up. Plus some shops might use thick grease to hold stuff in place, this needs to get hot enough to melt away and can cause problems until then.

Last edited by jxaxsxoxn; 10-23-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kpowr82
I'd like to know how many miles on the trans and what other mods you have. I started to experience the same thing about 2 months ago. About a month ago I lost 2nd gear and thought it was the forward clutch going bad on me. Then about 3 days ago I lost 4th gear. Now I'm thinking I burned up the 2-4 band.

Good luck
Sounds like thats exactly what happened.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:21 AM
11 Second Club

My car is a 2002 Camaro SS, with a 3200 Vigalante stall speed converter.
Took it out today and every gear was find excepit 4th. I have to get on it to shift into 4th gear. A friend told me to downshilf into 3rd when crusing on the highway to see if it shilfs down. By the way I drove over 100 miles home ,so I think it sould have enough miles on it.I am very unhappy with this shift kit calling the shop tommorow.
If anybody has any answers please let me know.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont you just love trans problems, i had my share this week... Ok first thing where are you located. You said turn pike so that has me thinking NJ.. If so i could help you out.. There are several things you could be experiencing. Once you put a shift kit in you need to have the computer tuned for it meaning torque management(espically for 2001-2002 cars). Since you have a 3,200 stall thats right on the verge of throwing false misfire codes(note that might not set an ses light if it doesnt happen often enough) but misfire codes wont let the converter lock up which you might think is 4th gear. What are your rpm's when your doing 70mph on the highway?? Does the converter lock up in 3rd gear?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having a problem with mine, sounds similiar to this. My converter will lockup all day long, until I stop at a stoplight, or basically stop anywhere, doesnt matter how long I stop. Once I stop, the convertor will never lock again, until the car is parked, and the tranny cools for atleast 4 or 5 hours. If I start driving from a cold start, I can go 2, 3, 4 hundred miles with the convertor locking, as soon as I stop, it will not lock again. Locks in 3rd and 4th when it is working. Oring on the input shaft is good, suspected convertor, swapped, new one does it too. Trans solenoid harness(in trans) is new, solenoids are new(TCC and 2-3). Has a transgo shift kit. Plate between valve body and tranny is new, no blown out check ball areas. This has been bothering me for 2 summers now. According to my TechII, lockup solenoid comes on, convertor however does not lock. I can force the output on the TechII, still no lockup. Did this with a Vig 3200 and my current downgraded due to heat(caused by not locking) 2200 stall. Trans temp is at 170 or so until the bastard stops locking(for hours), then pegs the 240 degrees guage in minutes after driving unlocked at highway speeds. No codes, no light, just no lockup. Any ideas???? Id like to fix this POS problem so I can put my Vig3200 back in. Thanks ahead for any help!!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

I'M nocturnal SS friend.I'M going to drive it tonight and see if getting into 4th And if the TCC is engaging.I beleave that the PCM is commanding max line pressure,because with the SES light on is was shifting harder then before the SES light was on.so what do you guys thing went wrong with the shift kits install,because i'm thinking its the TCC soleniod is bad,stuck or dirty.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

should have let me put it in for you lol... where are you guys in nj. I could possiably help (i installed my shift kit myself). Do you guys have ls1 edit/hp tuners. Your going to need that with the shift kit...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:34 AM
11 Second Club

Default I should have!

I shoud have let you put it in. I am going to the place on Thursday that insalled the kit ,will let you know how I made out.
Me and my friend took the car out tonight ,and he said what I thought that the converter is not locking up.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

its probably not the install of the shift kit but more of the pcm that needs to be tuned for the shift kit for everything to work right.. When i had my conveter installed last week and i lost 3rd/4th gear i thought they installed it wrong or screwed something up but it turned out the pcm just needs some more tuning to allow for the new converter.. Do you care to say who installed it for you, how much did they charge(im going to guess 200-250 for the shift kit)
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 AM
11 Second Club

Ok I took the car back to the place where I had the shift kit installed.
It seems that some dirt got on the value body during the installment, causing the converter not to lock up ,and throwing a code. The guy at the place clean it up, and carefully checked everything.
It has been running great ever sinch.
I am now real happy I got it! The shifts feel wonderful.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:13 AM
11 Second Club

I should change this to happy with Shilf Kit.