Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEEYY Manually Shifting an A4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEEYY Manually Shifting an A4 ?

What do I have to do to get my car to shift into gear exactly when I shift it? Im going to have a converter/ B&M shift kit put in soon and i think im going to do a rebuild depending on if i can make this trans shift when i want or buy a racing trans. But i rather rebuild mine. Is it better to shift manually or just leave it in drive??
Old 10-22-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Sure shift manually if you wanna f*ck up your tranny.

Wanna shift? Buy a manual.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dtuckz28
What do I have to do to get my car to shift into gear exactly when I shift it? Im going to have a converter/ B&M shift kit put in soon and i think im going to do a rebuild depending on if i can make this trans shift when i want or buy a racing trans. But i rather rebuild mine. Is it better to shift manually or just leave it in drive??
If you build up the tranny with tougher parts and a shift kit, it should pop right into gear very quickly, and could handle that better.

Now if you're talking about manually shifting a stock auto all the time, i wouldn't recommend it. you can manually shift it as long as you compensate for the torsen forces by giving the car more gas when you up or downshift (equivalent of double-clutching a manual) at WOT though, just leave it in D. Not OD, and not 1 or 2. in D.

Reason being if you start at 1 and WOT through to D, you could not possibly put more strain on the tranny. Also, if you do that, it won't be nearly as effective realistically as leaving it in D, and it won't make you go any faster.

Also, it's bad to WOT from OD, because your TC is locked in 4th, and when you go WOT, it has to unhook, then downshift all the way to 2nd most likely, then lock up again. takes a long time and is detrimental to your tranny.

Hope this helps you out some.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do not shift it manually, because the line pressure will not reach tranny fast enough compared to the computer shifting it.The only options you can do is leave it in 3rd or OD.I keep mine in OD and put it in third to get off the line.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

i keep it in 3 if im puttin around town, highway defintily OD, and also if im just cruising on a road with no stops even at like 35/40mph i put it in OD n put at 1300rpm to where im goin. reason i keep it in 3 is so it doesnt shift into OD while im about to come up to a stop some point soon, unnecessary shifting.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for the occational downshift, manually shifting a 4L60E isn't a good idea (built or not).
Old 10-24-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

I do not agree with most of you guys. I do agree it is not good for an at to shift manually, but It's noticeably faster to shift... Especially if you start in 1...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
I do not agree with most of you guys. I do agree it is not good for an at to shift manually, but It's noticeably faster to shift... Especially if you start in 1...
Do you have any proof of that? All manual shifting does is get you to the tranny shop faster.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hark_Z
the tranny is computer controlled and can shift faster than you will be able too.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

Actually im not by any means saying u should manually shift but, at the track i ran .08 faster while manually shifting. I used to manually shift all the time for racing but after seeing my friends tranny go a couple times i stoped and just left it in D.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dtuckz28

If your intrested in a performance rebuild kit then I have one for sale that I bought from Pro-Built.It has the shift kit and all upgrades needed for the 4l60e. I was gonna use it in my car but I have made new plans for a th350 install.PM me if your intrested and i will give you a full list of the parts included in the kit.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:41 AM
10 Second Club

do a goddam search

manual shifting= no. tune the fukin car so it shifts where you want it to.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I manually shify mine quite often... Everyone says it's bad, I don't listen. Mine's doing fine now that it's built (however, I did go through a couple stock ones). If I am at a stop I leave it in D, but if I am roll racing, I'm not going to leave it in D...I downshift to second and shift myself.
I have paid a lot of attention to where my transmission shifts and I know that it takes about 100 rpms before it will shift when I am manually doing so, so I shift 100 rpms before I actually want it to shift.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Restricted User

What I recently found out is that if you put the car in D and launch, all the torque is going through the foward sprag, if you launch in 1st then a set of clutches are applied as well taking some of the stress off the foward sprag. I launch in D at the track but after some severe wheel hop the foward sprag flipped. If you put the car in D it would not go anywhere, if you put it in first it would move. My tranny guy said putting it in first would relieve alot of stress off the foward sprag which is a weak point. I tranny is vaccuum modulated so line pressure being controlled from the computer isn't an issue. I don't see how upshifting at the track is hurting your transmission. I can see how it would if you constantly upshifted and downshifted though.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't guess I have ever seen that...
I don't think upshifting hurts the transmission, just your et because the computer is more precise than you could ever be.
That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that it would be better for the transmission to put it in first. When you are at a stop, it's going from first anyways, right? I'm confused.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by monicaz28
That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me that it would be better for the transmission to put it in first. When you are at a stop, it's going from first anyways, right? I'm confused.
When you put the car in D, all the forces to make the car move foward are applied to the foward sprag only. If you put it in 1st, a set of clutches are engaged as well as the foward sprag relieving some of the stress that is on the foward sprag to keep it from flipping.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I got it now. Thanks
Damn, I learn something new everyday.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

2001 pewter ws6 is totall right on this one. if you put it in first you engague an extra set of clutches and take alot of stress off the sprag. As far as shifting manually you can do it but only if you modify your tranny settings via hp tuners/ls1 edit otherwise the trans still shifts when it wants to. This is only good for a few reasons 1. if you want to jerk around on the street downshifting/upshifting. 2. If your at the track and you set the rev limiter to 6,500 and want it to shift @ 6,300 than you can do so with out reprogramming it. But all in all if your shifting it to get better times at the track forget about it and program the pcm to shift where you want it to shift, it will be more precise every time you race, also not that its very easy to miss shifts with our stock shifters as there is no lock for each gear. A ratchet shifter would be needed for this and currently none are avilable.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually there is a ratchet shifter for us...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...shifter+for+A4
Old 10-25-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats not for our cars its a modified one to fit, there is no direct replacement shifter as of right now. That thread is to try and get hurst to make a replacement shifter for us. You can use the old style 700r4 shifter for 3rd gen consoles and modify it to make it fit and work.