Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hand held programmers

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand held programmers

Hello, im relativley new to the EFI world. My question is, how much experience is neccessary to tune a vehicle after (example) a cam swap with a hand held programmer? must you be an EFI guru or will the handheld have generic uploads for certain cams like a tr 224/224 114. Are downloads available from the manufacturer? In a nutshell is it more feasible to have your pcm sent out for tuning or can a hand held pick up the slack were experience left off? thank you

Last edited by raymondvp45; 10-23-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only handheld that i know of that comes with tunes for particular cam durations and LSAs is the vinci/crane tuner. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm have it for both cars. just installed the vinci 062 cam 210/218 .551/.551 112. we'll see sometime next week how it will tune it on the dyno. right now, just playing with it and using my scanner, i've gotten it to idle pretty well using it. i've also done some dyno and track testing with it. just do a search for me and read up.

now, will it outdo a person with an editor like LS1edit, HPTuners, EFILive, etc... most likely not. the handheld can't do everything. the tuner has cma profile tunes that you start off with. then you can make general changes to fuel and timing. with the editors, you can make very specific changes. it's a lot to learn how to use one.