Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

making sure i am using my new toy right

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default making sure i am using my new toy right

ok just got a MITY VAC and did the search thing but didn't find what i wanted. so i want to make sure i am using this thing right. i have it set up with the line to the pump, the resevoir that comes with it and then another line with a cone at the end. i put the cone in the bottom of the mc resevoir and pump to 18-22" of merc. allow bubbles to come. its big ones at first then gets smaller and smaller. then pinch line and pull out. did this a few times till no bubbles came out. i went for a drive and it seemed to help my going into third prob. and if this is correct way i will do every couple of days untill can't get any morebubbles. IS THIS RIGHT? thanks for any and all input.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt for the day crew
Old 10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that is what I did. You didn't specify, but I assume you also had the line in the mityvac reservoir with some fluid in there as well? I pumped up to 25 and allowed the bubbles to exit the clutch reservoir. Once no bubbles, I released the pressure slowly so no air went back to the clutch and removed the line.

I also did it where I pumped up to 25 and once I was sure the pressure stayed, I pushed the clutch pedal to open the circuit and got some more bubbles. Again, once bubbles stop coming, release the pressure slowly as you do not want to send air back into the reservoir. Top off fluid if you sucked any out, re-cap reservoir, pump pedal to firm it back up, and drive it.

I think my MC is worn out as when I pump the pedal now I get lots of air bubbles and my clutch has gotten worse throughout the year. So this winter may see me replacing the clutch and hydraulics on the car. Good luck with yours.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody else have any input
Old 10-26-2005, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

I've done my clutch several times w/o using the resivoir. Just a foot of tube with a cone on the end, sucked a couple inches of fresh fluid into the tube & stuck it down in bottom of the MC. Pumped it up & waited till no more bubbles, didn't pinch line & pull it out just released the vacuum. Repeated several times till I could pump & no bubbles. I pushed the clutch pedal in once when I had the vac pumped & it screwed things up, pedel stayed on the floor & I vacced many cycles thereafter to regain good clutch operation. Also used it with the resivoir in the system to bleed the brakes after ABS delete & that worked really well.