Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just had a U-joint blow out on me damaged yoke seal on T-56 how hard to replace this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just had a U-joint blow out on me damaged yoke seal on T-56 how hard to replace this?

My U-joint that connects the driveshaft to the yoke literally came apart on me at abut 120 mph,,, it took out the yoke, driveshaft, and when the yoke let go it slammed up into the T-56 crusing and ripping that rear rubber seal, question is how hard is this rubber seal to replace on the T-56 and could the yoke getting shoved up so far have caused any damage to the tranny? Sad part is this is a brand new D & D tranny too, good part is the splines are all ok and everythign looks straight, only visible damage is to the rubber seal where the yoke slides in.

So how bout it how hard is this to replace?

Last edited by Mike K.; 10-23-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not very hard. You have to gently knock the seal out. Should not be too bad.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
It is not very hard. You have to gently knock the seal out. Should not be too bad.

got any quick tips? do I have to take the tranny apart to get to it? what about the yoke getting jammed up there? you think that caused damage?
Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are it just damaged the seal. It would have to destroy the case to detroy the bushing inside. Most likely it is just the seal. You do not have to take it apart to replace the seal. Just use a hammer and chisel tool to remove the seal. That is the easy part. To install properly you will have to have a special tool to install it. Be careful not to nick the case of the transmisison.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ls1Joe
Chances are it just damaged the seal. It would have to destroy the case to detroy the bushing inside. Most likely it is just the seal. You do not have to take it apart to replace the seal. Just use a hammer and chisel tool to remove the seal. That is the easy part. To install properly you will have to have a special tool to install it. Be careful not to nick the case of the transmisison.

thanks, maybe Ill send it your way if wanna pm me a quote?

Quick Reply: Just had a U-joint blow out on me damaged yoke seal on T-56 how hard to replace this?