Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Mod advice fora Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Mod advice fora Newbie

hey guys im kinda new to the ls1 world and what works best with these cars.So winter is comign up and im puttin my car in garage to start moding it.First off im looking for a cam i want one that got a good idle to it so i can get that cam sound and perform well at mid to high range.Second im lookin at headers so far im leaning toward hooker lts any info on this well be appreciated.and have i done any mods so far to my car to hurt its performance all mods are listed in my sig please help guys this is my first ls1
Old 10-24-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like you already got the basics down in your sig.
A Ls6 intake only takes a few minutes to change out and you can find them for sale cheap in the for sale section. good for 10-20hp (especially with a cam)
Hooker Lt's are good, and they dont cost much compared to others. I perfer them.
Cams, this can be a all day long suggestion and it has been asked numerious times.
Check out the ls1tech video section for the sounds of different cams to give you an idea, but also just scroll threw this section as well as the dyno to see what you might like. There is alot of good info here.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

great cam thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=20
Old 10-24-2005, 03:33 AM
10 Second Club

As for headers, I would go with pacesetter LT's, good quality and easy to install.. LS6 intake will wake that motor up even more and you're going to need it later on down the road.

If you're looking for mid to high range perfomance in a cam, look into something with a 224 duration or more, depending on your personal preference.

The thing about cams is not to get what everyone else has, go with something that is going to fit your needs (daily driver, street/strip, drag). Also pick a cam that you can work with for later mods, don't get something to small and step up to bigger and better mods and have to change it out. But on that note don't get something huge where you will hate it and make no power unless you have full bolt ons and juice.

Cams are a personal preference, do not pick one just because you see that it makes 400rwhp cam only, look into other parts of the cam. Just please don't look into peak HP, I see to many people looking into peak HP #'s and get sick of the cam because it doesn't perform down low at all and end up changing it. Look at behind the curve power and what you're going to need to make your goals.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLT4
The thing about cams is not to get what everyone else has, go with something that is going to fit your needs (daily driver, street/strip, drag). Also pick a cam that you can work with for later mods, don't get something to small and step up to bigger and better mods and have to change it out. But on that note don't get something huge where you will hate it and make no power unless you have full bolt ons and juice.

Cams are a personal preference, do not pick one just because you see that it makes 400rwhp cam only, look into other parts of the cam. Just please don't look into peak HP, I see to many people looking into peak HP #'s and get sick of the cam because it doesn't perform down low at all and end up changing it. Look at behind the curve power and what you're going to need to make your goals.
This statement couldn't be better said. Most people don't really research what they are sticking into their motor, they go off other peoples numbers. Even though it is the same motor, different ones react different ways. Please don't get sold on peak numbers. He is right. I have a waaaay top end performance cam and it is too much for about 80% of the people that I let drive my car. It fits me and my mods perfectly though. It is all in what YOU consider driveable. If you want a decent way to get a great personal opinion...use your own. See if you can find someone that has a setup that sparks your interests and test it our first hand if you can. Yeah, the media section is good to go listen to peoples cars in all... But a video camera or microphone doesnt pick up hardly anything that you actually would if you were standing there in person. I know that you said that you want a mid to top-end performer for your car. I believe that the MS3 or F13 would be the route it looks like you are wanting to lean towards. You can play the safe card and go with a 226/226 or the tradtional 224/224 .581/.581 114/112 route as well. I am not knocking on those setups at all for anyone that thinks I am bashing, because that was my first cam as well. It works really well for lots of people!

Headers:

LT's generally seem to be a favorite among the cammed world as well as people who want loud cars and deeper tones. That is why I did it to be perfectly honest. I had the hookers with a cam as well as FLP's (current).
Im not gonna lie and there are plenty of others that agree. Hookers are great for power and were designed for it. But certainly not ease of fitament! They are a regular PITA to take off and put on. My FLP's all though expensive, slipped right in from the top and bolted right up with no clearance issues what so ever...granted I never had a clearance problem with the slip fit '3 collector on the Hookers. I have heard great stuff about Pacesetters... But if you want a good longtube header, with no clearance problems, and great performance gains for a great price....DO NOT get SLP's!!!!!!!

As for your current mods you are off to a great start. I hope that de-screened maf doesnt come back to bite you with tuning issues in the long run though! Keep up the modding process! Dont be afriad to ask about anything during the process. We were all there at one time.

Good Luck!