Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock speakers dont sound as good

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock speakers dont sound as good

Basically like the title said ive installed an aftermarket HU and the stock speakers dont sound like they used to... (they are not as "full") acctually they sound like they would if ran on just deck power...is there something i missed... is there a remote turn on for the factory amp... (i just bought the wiring harness for the car and plugged it in) although if there is a remote turn on for the factory amp thats probably what i missed... any other ideas?

thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

no one knows >? ttt
Old 10-24-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

probably missed the remote turn on for the monsoon amp. happened when i replaced the HU in my old 94 firebird. I'll bet your sail panel subs and probably rears arn't working anymore. those run off the amp. fronts run off HU.

Couldn't tell you what the color is for it, its in the power harness.

I've gone to a full aftermarket system in my 97. far better.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Monsoon amp doesn't have a remote turn on wire like aftermarket amps do. It gets power through the RADIO ACCY fuse and uses current sensing on the audio input wires to turn on. You might want to check that the fuse isn't blown.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting, whatever the 10 speaker higher end stereo option was in the 94 firebird did have a remote turn on for it. seems the sails, rears,front woofers were run from the amp. the only thing run from the HU is the front tweeters... WTF?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

On the Monsoon system in a coupe both the front and rear (hatch area) tweeters are run directly from the head unit and all other speakers are connected to the amp. In a convertible, all channels run from the amp - none are directly run from the HU.

If the amp isn't getting power then there would be sound from just the tweeters (front and rear) so it would sound pretty bad - but it would be easy to recognize.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any chance you got the polarity reversed on any of your wiring? Having anything out of phase will hurt.

It also could be a bit of a placebo effect - you won't really see a sq improvement just changing the deck. The speakers need to go for sq improvement... then the amp... then the deck.

Maybe you were expecting an improvement so are disappointed...