Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

what is the trick to weld collectors to headers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the trick to weld collectors to headers?

how are you supposed to weld the inside edge of the 4 tubes....

i am curious.

Thanks
Louie
Old 10-25-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

very very carefully
Old 10-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the inside of the collector.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

i had a feeling it would be from the inside...i couldnt think of a better way to do it...lol

Thanks
Louie
Old 10-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Launching!

You don't have to weld anything inside the collector!! First thing you have to do is slip the collector over the tubes and tack the tubes together, nothing heavy just a little to hold the spacing. You then need to weld a star shaped filler in between the four tubes that should be cut flush with each other. After doing that weld between the tubes on the outside then work your way towards the star you just welded in. When you get all that welded up then slid the collector back over the tubes and weld around the outside. Now you're done and shouldn't have any leaks. You can usually see any possible problems from light coming through any holes.

Don't know how you'll be welding but take your time and make sure you don't get bead buildup blocking a smooth transition into the collector.

Good luck,

Brett
Old 10-26-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

i also understand what you are saying and sounds like a great idea...i may never do it but i was definately curoius how to...

louie
Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by METAL MAN
You don't have to weld anything inside the collector!! First thing you have to do is slip the collector over the tubes and tack the tubes together, nothing heavy just a little to hold the spacing. You then need to weld a star shaped filler in between the four tubes that should be cut flush with each other. After doing that weld between the tubes on the outside then work your way towards the star you just welded in. When you get all that welded up then slid the collector back over the tubes and weld around the outside. Now you're done and shouldn't have any leaks. You can usually see any possible problems from light coming through any holes.

Don't know how you'll be welding but take your time and make sure you don't get bead buildup blocking a smooth transition into the collector.

Good luck,

Brett

this is exactly what we did
Old 10-26-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by METAL MAN

Good luck,

Brett
I wish it were that easy..............
I am in the middle of the same thing. Got a pair of stainless hooker collectors. Looks like some serious shaping of the collector is invoved before anything. They give you just a modest "dent" between the pipes. As far as I can see, the headers tubes probably should have been squared where they meet together first to reduce the valley between the pipes. Nearly impossible to do on 321 stainless once they are welded to the header flange.. Think slip fit merge collectors would have been better for me at this point. Might go that way.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

what metal man is saying to do is going to work pretty easily.

just takes time and everything mocked up easily
ed

Quick Reply: what is the trick to weld collectors to headers?