Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

SK spline rachet wrenches (new design)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SK spline rachet wrenches (new design)

Has anyone used these new design gear wrenches by SK?

They have a series of 32(??) teeth that grip all types of fasteners - 6 point 12 point, square, t-hex, rounded heads, etc.

The grippping teeth look like the splines....

Anyway, they are illustrated in the new Sears catelog that I received recently. They are sold in sets that are metric - 8, 10, 12, 14, etc....

Wild; right? Looks like a great new design!

I'm not familar with the new Snap-On wrenches that grab the fastner head on the side and not on the points but this design is likely similar....

Can anyone compare the two designs?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:39 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Snap-On calls their "flats, not points" socketing design Flank Drive®. SK calls theirs SureGrip®. SK sockets grab just fine; that's what my 3/8" and 1/4" drive sockets are, brand-wise.

Spline drive isn't exactly new. Given that I have never come across spline fasteners, I would never bother getting into that style of socket / wrench.

The wrenches at sears are not reversible direction, & thusly don't have a mild (12-15 deg) offset to the box end. Thusly, I would skip them.

On smaller fasteners, 6pt. is fine. On larger fasteners, 12pt. is the way to go in order to give better accessibility for latching onto a fastener.

Maybe one day Harbor Freight will carry spline drive items so you can invest in those.

Quick Reply: SK spline rachet wrenches (new design)