Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure release valve?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pressure release valve?????

OK I when I start my engine oil pressure hits like 60lbs then it goes to 0. I did a cam, timing chain and oil pump swap so naturally I'm thinking O-ring, right. Well I'm tired of working on it cause I just swapped this motor into a truck so I hire a friend who works at the local Chevy dealership to fix it. He says that his shop foreman told him that it's not the O-ring it's the oil pressure release valve on the back of the block. Has anyone ever heard of this cuz I haven't. He says that even without the O-ring completely I should still have like 20lbs. of oil pressure since I installed a high volume pump. Can someone give me some advice, does this guy know what he's talking about?
Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an oil pump relief valve plug, also you would still have oil pressure if you pinched the o-ring, or didn't even have it installed, like he said. He seems to know what he is talking about.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Ya I think he might, I've done numerous searches on this subject and have only found 1 post talking about the oil relief pressure being 60 lbs. So if that's the case, when oil pressure surpasses 60lbs this valve is relieving the pressure but not closing back off or what? Although I've heard of people having over 60lbs of pressure.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

So where is this relief plug you speak of? Is it on the back of the block or is it in the pump itself? And if it's on the back of the block does it require the tranny to be removed?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Hey post up and let me know if this relief valve plug is a good fix. I have similar symptoms with my car. I start it up and have the normal 40 but it falls to zero shortly afterwards. If I hold the throttle down (1500RPM) to maintain 40 for at least 10 - 15 seconds the pressure will stabilize at 40 and remain at that for the rest of the time the car is running.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, I have revved mine up and it does sustain pressure but not 40 lbs. and it goes back down to 0 when it gets to an idle. I don't know if this plug or valve or whatever it is is getting stuck or what. I did find out that it is in the back of the block and the motor has to come back out to replace it. But will replacing it fix it? From what I can tell it's just a plug that looks kinda like a dumbell or something and it block off one passage in one position and another in the other position. No moving parts, how will replacing it fix the problem? Unless the bore can be honed out or something, I'm just guessing I've only seen a diagram drawing of it.

Last edited by motoxlifer; 10-25-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I will keep doing research on this problem and let you know if I find a fix for it.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Same here, and if anyone else has any info PLEASE let us know. Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

hi!
sorry to hear about the work you'll need to do yet
i just rebuilt my motor completely due to a stuck lifter,.(*and no the damn block didn't need replacing,.. just everything else...***to those who said otherwise in another thread***) ...some how that same part broke (dumb looking barbell) and turned sideways thus opening that area completely!causing the new comp 850 lifters too sound like silverware in my block do to starving for oil until i found that damn thing broke,...the symptoms i had we're identical but i had weaker pressure mine would idle @ 0! and at best give me 20lbs @ 3000 rpm! now i have like 45-50lbs pressure fluctuations :-D.......that part will require tranny to be outta tha way,or engine pulled up and forward(you pick,lol)......now the oil pump also has a pressure spring/valve of sorts too...but i would check the one one the back of the block first......~mike~
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

You know it's funny cuz I actually wanted to hear that I needed to replace the O-ring. So I guess that thing is broken in there or something. How does it break? Better yet, why did GM put such a stupid device in an engine. I think I'd rather have too much oil pressure than NONE! Thanks for everyones input, I guess I know what I've got ahead of me. motor's comin out...again!!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil pressure relief valve is in the pump itself. So... you will need to take the pump out to get to it. So you will need to take out the o-ring also. You can shim the spring in the oil pressure relief valve so it releases under higher pressure. However... I am betting that its not the pressure relief valve. I cannot contemplate a situtation in which the valve would open too soon, unless something got stuck in there.

Where did you buy the oil pump? I am guessing its the o-ring.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I bought the pump from Lingenfelter, it's their hi-vol pump. But dude their is definetly a plug in the back of the block that opens or closes off 2 different passages; why, I have no ****** clue!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well then their are two pressure relief valves.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

tell me more about this valve in the pump. Believe me I would much rather keep my motor in the truck. But it kinda makes sense to me now, that even with a bad O-ring I'd still have some oil pressure, it wouldn't go up to 60 then drop to 0. There is something releaving all that pressure. Could I have gotten a bad pump? The thing is I don't know much about this relief plug, I just learned of it today. What is the purpose in it if you already have a relief valve in the pump itself?
Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pressure from the pump passes thru a hole from the front of the block to the back. The plastic barbell in the back diverts the oil down into the oil filter, then it comes up and passes around the thin section of that barbell, then up into the motor. You broke that thing. Damm, I have been fighting oil pump problems all year, maybe that barbell is broken in my motor. You have to pull the bellhousing and the back cover to get to it.
I have a wierd problem now. I can get 60 lbs cranking the starter with the spark plugs out, but when I put the plugs in and start the motor, the pressure goes to 20 then back to 10. Figure that one out.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

All I can think of is without plugs there's no compression so the motor will spin faster thus turning the pump faster creating more pressure. Sounds good anyway
Old 10-25-2005, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by racecar
Oil pressure from the pump passes thru a hole from the front of the block to the back. The plastic barbell in the back diverts the oil down into the oil filter, then it comes up and passes around the thin section of that barbell, then up into the motor. You broke that thing. Damm, I have been fighting oil pump problems all year, maybe that barbell is broken in my motor. You have to pull the bellhousing and the back cover to get to it.
I have a wierd problem now. I can get 60 lbs cranking the starter with the spark plugs out, but when I put the plugs in and start the motor, the pressure goes to 20 then back to 10. Figure that one out.
Oh wait I misread that, your saying with the engine running you have less oil pressure than when just cranking it over with the starter. Hmm, I better drink another beer and think about it for awhile.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

OK I found a good thread about this damn plug. It seems that it's not a relief valve, it's just a plug that diverts the oil into the filter or something. GM has apparently changed its design because thy've had problems with them backing out or something. Anyway here the thread, if anyone has anything to add please do. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=oil+plug

Quick Reply: oil pressure release valve?????