Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 cam what else should I do

Old 10-26-2005, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default z06 cam what else should I do

I just purchaced a 02 z06 cam that I am planing to put in my car sometime this fall/winter I know I need to put new springs in but I am not sure what springs to use I am torn between the comp 918s and the Z06 spring I was leaning towards the z06 springs cause I can get a good deal on them(I work at a pontiac dealership) That and I was wondering if there was anything else I should consider doing while I have the car all torn apart. I am also doing LT's and a clutch this winter. Thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your giving up alot of hp by not putting in a decent cam...
since you have an 01 there isnt much else but maybe good pushrods to be safe..I personally would put in good rockers but other people here would say you are fine.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

The LS6 cam works well for the money.. mine doesn't run too bad.. considering the DA and lack of other mods..

I used Comp 918's on mine, but the LS6 springs will work fine.. most will also recommend longer pushrods as well (7.45 I believe).. but, I run stock length manley hardened pushrods with no problems.

Stock tuning will work alright, but a good tune is better.. especially to get the rev limiter moved.. etc.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:02 AM
11 Second Club

u are wasting money on that cam been there done that
Old 10-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Launching!

That cam is most deff a waste of money. I had the Z06 set up with the heads. I bought them back when i was a Newbie at this, & i really do regret it. I sold them both as soon as possible or as soon as i learned a little more of what i was doing.

Just remember, For all the work and time and money your going to spend for a cam swap might as well make it worth it or dont do it at all and just dump a charger or NO2 in it.

That cam @ most is gonna give you probley 20HP even with long tubes and all your bolt on's you wont see more then 375 RWHP.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

not a bad cam if you are going with the sleeper, i am doing the cam also, but i have a blower going on in 2-3 weeks, with full bolt ons i don't see why you wouldn't see 380+ rwhp, longer pushrods are needed, but not required, and you can spin that bad boy to around 6800...there are tons of write ups on this cam, just use the search button, a lot of ppl say its a waste of time, but its all on what your final goals are...good luck
Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I have a friend that ran 7.83 on this ZO6 cam and drag radials, with a small stall.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TWISTEDTA
That cam is most deff a waste of money. I had the Z06 set up with the heads. I bought them back when i was a Newbie at this, & i really do regret it. I sold them both as soon as possible or as soon as i learned a little more of what i was doing.

Just remember, For all the work and time and money your going to spend for a cam swap might as well make it worth it or dont do it at all and just dump a charger or NO2 in it.

That cam @ most is gonna give you probley 20HP even with long tubes and all your bolt on's you wont see more then 375 RWHP.
The sad thing is, there is alot of cars with bigger cams that don't make anymore power than that..

I've gotten about 30+ rwhp out of mine with all the valvetrain upgrades for less than the cost of a new cam.

I'll go bigger soon, but for the price it works and drives stock.. at a lower elevation track my full weight, stock suspension, stock rearend, LS6 clutch, drag radial, LS6 cammed car would run in the 11's pretty easy. (11.72 @ 116.58 corrected, just for comparsion.)

Its all in what you want to do with it..

Last edited by Chris81; 10-26-2005 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 PM

I would use 918's & new pushrods. I also would have gone with a bigger cam. My tr224 drives like stock. No loss of low end TQ, no Idel issues, Gas milage unchanged.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know some people are gonna bash my decision to get this cam but the price was right and right now I don't want a big cam in the car. I drive it a lot to work and other stuff just not over the winter when it snows so I need it to be reasonable for now and I am looking to do a few things to get a little more out of it with out being too noticable. maybe down the road go bigger but for now it is what I wanted to do.

Also does anyone know for sure what the longer length pushrod is that I should use? and what about doing the 1.8 rockers a friend of mine that has a nicely built 383 gta said he did 1.8 rockers on his old mostly stock motor and picked up like 4 or 5mph at the track? Just trying to get some info and ideas
Old 10-26-2005, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I know some people are gonna bash my decision to get this cam but the price was right and right now I don't want a big cam in the car. I drive it a lot to work and other stuff just not over the winter when it snows so I need it to be reasonable for now and I am looking to do a few things to get a little more out of it with out being too noticable. maybe down the road go bigger but for now it is what I wanted to do.

Also does anyone know for sure what the longer length pushrod is that I should use? and what about doing the 1.8 rockers a friend of mine that has a nicely built 383 gta said he did 1.8 rockers on his old mostly stock motor and picked up like 4 or 5mph at the track? Just trying to get some info and ideas
I've thought of 1.8 rockers as well, but if you do the Crane's I believe they come with a set of pushrods, or I think they do.

Do a search of LS6 cams and you will find the right rod length, I've always heard it was 7.45 due to the base circle on the LS6 cam being smaller, it seems like someone said it was like 7.425 or somewhere in there as well. Many people used the stock length, so thats what I did.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Teching In

i did a cam and head swap in a 03 zo6,people told me to get the money for a elec water pump,under drive pully and new oil pump because of the work involved,i did and im glad,476 hp to the tire and we still need to tune some more,im thinking 485 without the nos
Old 10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
I just purchaced a 02 z06 cam that I am planing to put in my car sometime this fall/winter I know I need to put new springs in but I am not sure what springs to use I am torn between the comp 918s and the Z06 spring I was leaning towards the z06 springs cause I can get a good deal on them(I work at a pontiac dealership) That and I was wondering if there was anything else I should consider doing while I have the car all torn apart. I am also doing LT's and a clutch this winter. Thanks
Throw an ls6 ported oil pump while you've got it all apart. A new timing chain isn't a bad choice either. I used to have the JWIS and it was nice.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

I'd go with a bigger cam. Something like the Futral F-4 at least.

Mike

Search this Thread