Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Discussion wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Discussion wiring.

Ok the last discussion we had on hidden stuff " https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/397176-discussion-why-hide-your-system.html "
went rather well I thought so I thought about another topic wiring.

Did you do your own wiring or pay a shop to did it? Did you follow the instructions and warning laid out by your mfg system? And finally was there any problem during the wiring you wished you would have done something different.

Ricky
Old 10-26-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

I did my own

I usually read the instructions and follow warnings on any wiring job that is more than a basic kit. Although sometimes I may deviate slightly.

No problems...but things I wish I would have done different are usually routing issues I see after install
Old 10-26-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Did my own. Pulled everything on the passenger side interior out. Took 2 weekends to complete, car was down whole time. Actually very easy.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Was your car down by choice or was the wiring just in the way, so you could not move the car at that time.
Ricky
Old 10-26-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes schematics confuse people, but once you see how it gets set up it becomes understandable. Also, alot of people don't really understand the purpose of what a relay does either. Pin 87 86 30 87a SPDT/SPST ect. gets confusing. Once they grasp that its becomes simple and more clear of how the system functions.

Personally, I've built 2 kits out of parts and feel safe doing so. As long as the solenoids and relays are good quality everything should be fine.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
Ok the last discussion we had on hidden stuff " https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397176 "
went rather well I thought so I thought about another topic wiring.

Did you do your own wiring or pay a shop to did it? Did you follow the instructions and warning laid out by your mfg system? And finally was there any problem during the wiring you wished you would have done something different.

Ricky
1. Did the complete installation including the wiring on my own.

2. Followed the instructions though I did need a lot of C5-specific help that I thankfully got from a few kind folks on here.

3. I wish I had just used the WOT switch that came with my kit in the first place instead of the TPS switch I bought and ended up not using.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have done my own everytime and installed a hand full of other peoples kits for them.None of them have ever been a basic install and always had lots of other toys to wire in.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First let me say that I've done everything to my car myself from the brakes and shocks to heads and cam(and everything in between). But I paid someone to instal my nitrous kit. Just wanted to make sure it was done right and looked professional. I started on the instal and the bracket I had made to house the noids was immediatley tossed aside by the mech. I could have done it myself but it wouldnt have been of the quality instal that it is. Replacing parts is a lot easier than fabing in new ones. For me anyway.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest, I dont feel comfortable doing my own Wiring. Especially when its something like a n20 kit. I would rather a "master installer" wie mine up then me hooking it up.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

On my own, I spent 4 days wiring, soldering, routing cables/lines and making sure everything passed my own scrutiny

That doesn't count the laminated wiring diagram I made

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 10-27-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do all my own and alot of correcting from other shopp's. it really isn't hard but you need to pay attention and do it right!

If it does not look like it came that way from the dealer I am not happy!
Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Built my own kit and wired it in myself. I like to think I am very good at electrical, I have actually completely wired a few vehicles, so a few relays and a couple switches were nothing.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do my own wiring and my current set-up by far is the most complicated I have done.
7-relays
6-noids (more coming)
3-window sws
1-wot
1-1st gear lock-out
3-WS rpm indictor lights
5-toggle sws
1-LM1 wide band
2-elect pressure gauges
1-pair 95* elect transducers
1-bottle heater
1-elect bottle opener (currently removed)
1-purge set-up
and more.
The only problem I had was the complexity, meaning, everytime I thought I was done, I would have to pull trim and/or battery out again to make adjustments. So, getting to my mostly hidden wiring, i wish I would have made it easier to access. Here's a sample behind my homemade sw panel, which has since been cleaned up and more sws and indicator lights added. The green lights come on at rpm according to their respective window sw with one more to be added (great testing/diagnostic tool).

Robert
Old 10-27-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I try not to go much further than the basic wiring jobs, although if I really needed to do a big job I am rpetty sure I would do it my slef. I do want to get better at soldering though. I rarely solder in the car because I am clumbsy and scared I will burn the carpet or something.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robert56

Robert, have you thought of going to the 3M, Bussman, or simular line of terminal strips? Then you can save alot of space (all those terminal connectors) by going directly to the terminal strip/s and it'll help out in troubleshooting also.

Last edited by JoeyGC5; 10-27-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

I've been involved in wiring systems in cars for many (many) years. I do my own. I'm never too proud to ask for help.

My best advice is to:
0- FOLLOW DIRECTIONS!!
1- THINK OUT THE SYSTEM before running wire one. Grab paper and pencil and lay out what you are doing.
2- If you do this stuff yourself - get an inexpensive multi-meter from Sears. Learn to read resistance and DC voltage. You'll use it more than you think...in the car, at home...
3- Don't start one one end and lay out one wire at a time. If you have a bunch of wires like (for example Robert) try to find ways to keep them as clean as possible...connectors, molex plugs, weather proof connectors where needed.
4- Poor connections are a huge contributor to failures. I try to stay away from in-line taps. Clean metal at ground.
5- Know your fuse box and power connection points. You may not want to grab power at the closest location. If you do have a failure and kill power to engine management or equiv...it may have major consequences.
6- If you connect directly top the battery...put a fuse at the battery. If you get a short, you need to open the connection as close to the battery as possible.
7 - Grab a beverage of choice and an engineer: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Circuits are confusing, but make an effort to understand them before you run a single wire. These circuits arn't that tough if you understand what you are trying to do.

Last edited by Macon; 10-27-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Man all good points, and ROBERT dammmmmm,,,,, that is what you call NOT a quick check system.. I bet you started simple and just kept adding, and adding, and adding.. do like your indicator lights.
1 maximizer 2 and a few hours would clean all that up. lol
Ricky
Old 10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I do all my own and alot of correcting from other shopp's. it really isn't hard but you need to pay attention and do it right!

If it does not look like it came that way from the dealer I am not happy!
Holy crap I could not agree more! I hate wires. Everything is under the dash and pretty clean, although I'm going to go back and do it again. I used a blue wire for more than just one thing and hate that. Which brings up another pet peeve of mine... Red = direct battery power ONLY! Black = ground ONLY! And since the car uses pink for switched +12V, I got online and bought pink wire, for switched +12V ONLY and a big fat relay so I'm not sucking power from the ECU, etc. I followed the Maximizer II's color scheme for everything else. I don't use butt connectors or anything other connectors, everything's soldered and/or crimped (except weather connectors and spades for relays). Oh yeah, I did it myself.

Also, what Macon said is good too. Draw it first, then think about it, then draw it again. Then buy the parts and make sure you get the proper tools (crimpers and such).

-somebody
Old 10-27-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do all my own wiring. I pretty much disregard the factory wiring diagram and wire it up based on the users preferrences. I am an electrical engineer so holding wiring schematics in my head is really easy. I like using some weather pack connectors up by the relays so working on the car is much easier if things need to come apart. Wiring loom is also nice to hide wiring and gives a more factory look if routed well.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Robert, have you thought of going to the 3M, Bussman, or simular line of terminal strips? Then you can save alot of space (all those terminal connectors) by going directly to the terminal strip/s and it'll help out in troubleshooting also.
Yes, I did, but after the fact. It kind of morphed into a complicated mess. I did label all wiring, and behind the sw panel is the main jucntion point and not much room. I could have made more room, but later ligther/ashtray can be put back as stock.
Robert