Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

stripped bolt hole in block...not ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stripped bolt hole in block...not ls1

The other day I was changing the water pump on my daily driver (87 Subaru GL). While I was in there, I went ahead and changed teh timing built (125k, original belts, took and extra 10 mins...so why not). Anyways, on of the bolts that maintains the position of the belt tensioner is stripped out. I couldn't get it to torque down, so I tightened down the bolt the tensioner pivots on, hoping that would work.

So I drive the car a little, and it sounds like the belt is loose....so I'm assuming its the belt tensioner and the bolt. When I take out the bolt, I'll replace it if it's stripped, but I'm thinking the block is aluminum and the block is stripped, not the bolt. How do you go about putting new threads in the block.

I've heard of helicoil, but have no experience with them. Any other suggestions or help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helicoil is definitely the simplest, fastest, easiest and best bet for the repair. It'll be stronger than the original threaded hole to boot

With the helicoil kit, you simply drill out the old threads, use the included tap to cut new oversize threads, and then thread in a stainless steel "coil" which becomes the new threads. Then you're done -- just put everything back together with the original bolts and motor on down the road.

Quick Reply: stripped bolt hole in block...not ls1