Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter question?

What does it mean by a converter is to loose?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

The term is usually associated with a bigger converteter, but what it means is that it feels like a M6 that the clutch is being let out slowly.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

So if my converter was tighter i wld be faster
Old 10-26-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blank
So if my converter was tighter i wld be faster
not always, loose basically means that you hit the gas and it feels like the tranny is slipping cause the rpms are going up but it is not moving, so basicaly the rpms have to higher to get the car to move. if you have ever felt a tranny slip that is the feeling just amplified.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loose = fast.

Search.

At partial throttle the RPM's run higher than stock. With my 4k stall speed converter I might turn 2,500 rpm to keep up with traffic on a busy road. To pass slowly maybe 3,000.

It HAULS *** when you mash the gas though.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blank
What does it mean by a converter is to loose?
How "loose" a converter is means how much pedal you have to give it before it really starts to move out. A bigger converter will be "looser" because it "slips" your motor to a higher rpm making you have to give it more throttle than you would with a stock or smaller converter.

Of course, quickly slipping your engine to a higher rpm range is exactly why bigger/looser torque converters get you down the drag strip so much faster.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

a loose converter is a converter with more stall. stall is the rpm at which the car starts to move when you hit the gas a stock c-60 converter (the one in all f-bodies is around 1200) but its just like if you drive a stick and dump the clutch at 4000 instead of 1200 you will accelerate faster. the dissadvantag is that a looser converter is less effecient on the upper rpm range meaning less mph (unless you use lock up then you wory about rpm drop during lock up) so looser not always means faster it depend on combination
Old 10-28-2005, 07:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by back4more
a loose converter is a converter with more stall. stall is the rpm at which the car starts to move when you hit the gas a stock c-60 converter (the one in all f-bodies is around 1200) but its just like if you drive a stick and dump the clutch at 4000 instead of 1200 you will accelerate faster. the dissadvantag is that a looser converter is less effecient on the upper rpm range meaning less mph (unless you use lock up then you wory about rpm drop during lock up) so looser not always means faster it depend on combination
Not exactly.

1. The stall speed is not the rpm at which the car starts to move when you give it gas. The stall speed is the speed at which the converter will hold the engine speed and not allow further gain, i.e., the point which the converter stops slipping. Your car will start moving well before your converter's stall speed is reached. Can you imagine your engine needing to reach 3500 rpm before you started to move with a 3500 stall converter in your car?

2. The stock F-body converter has a stall speed of 1600 rpm.

3. A higher stall speed may or may not mean a less efficient converter. For example, the Super Yank 3500 is more efficient than the stock converter with an efficiency rating of 97%. Lots of factors besides stall speed go into how efficient a torque converter will be including the tolerances between the pump, turbine, and stator (tighter = more efficient).
Old 10-28-2005, 12:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by back4more
stall is the rpm at which the car starts to move when you hit the gas.....its just like if you drive a stick and dump the clutch at 4000 instead of 1200 you will accelerate faster.
Very wrong, common misconception. I can drive my 4k stall converter around slowly at 1,500.

It's more like a 4k stall when you go wide open throttle though. That's the beautiful part.