Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start with MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold start with MAF

While tuning in SD, my car had no issues what-so-ever with cold starts.
After getting my VE tables right, took car out of SD, now it totally surges on cold startups...warm is fine, no surging.
I have the SLP 85mm MAF with the resistor removed..loaded Z06 tables & calibrated from there.
Anyone know why this is?...this cold start surging is driving me nuts.
I've tried about everything I could find...nothing made much difference with the cold start surging.
TIA
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you leaned out your OL F/A table? I had to do that when i put y maf back on and it started getting colder outside
Old 10-27-2005, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Have you leaned out your OL F/A table? I had to do that when i put y maf back on and it started getting colder outside
Ya I made everything 1.0 on that table and it made no difference...dumped the SLP 85mm & put the stock MAF back on...no help.

I've added timing...took away timing....my IAC is around 30 when warm...although it is around 310 during cold starts..I assume this is normal.

I've downloaded a ton of bin files & compared every aspect of idle items against mine...made some changes...no help.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

310 sounds a bit high even for a cold start... 310 is maxxed out completely. Do you have a ported TB filled in with epoxy? My guess is that the holes in the epoxy might be too small, as I had a similar issue. I opened my IAC hole up to a full 1/2" whereas before it was like 3/16" and no matter how much the IAC opened up the hole was restricting idle airflow.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

310 sounds a bit high even for a cold start... 310 is maxxed out completely. Do you have a ported TB filled in with epoxy? My guess is that the holes in the epoxy might be too small, as I had a similar issue. I opened my IAC hole up to a full 1/2" whereas before it was like 3/16" and no matter how much the IAC opened up the hole was restricting idle airflow.
Yup..ported it and filled it with epoxy...I believe I used a pen tube to make those holes...definately smaller than 1/2"....I'll give that a try tonight...I just assumed since SD would start just fine in the cold, this wasn't a TB problem, but at this point I'm willing to try anything.....just a PITA with that TNT kit on there.
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep us updated on this...I have the same problem w/ cold starts.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

310 sounds a bit high even for a cold start... 310 is maxxed out completely.
What are most peoples IAC count when starting from a cold start?...just want something to compare mine to after I open the IAC hole.
Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ya i have the same problem with coldstarts
hot starts are no problem

the colder it gets ouside the worse it is so i need some help haha
Old 10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I get about 180 - 220 IAC counts in the mornings with 40 degree IAT and ECT.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

Do you have a ported TB filled in with epoxy? My guess is that the holes in the epoxy might be too small, as I had a similar issue. I opened my IAC hole up to a full 1/2" whereas before it was like 3/16" and no matter how much the IAC opened up the hole was restricting idle airflow.
Well looks like you guessed it...old hole was around 3/16"....opened it up to 1/2"...put my SLP 85mm back on, loaded my 85mm MAF Table & it instantly started up...RPM went to 2000K, slowly moved down to 900...ABSOLUTLEY NO SURGING.
IACs were off, but luckily I flipped that screw a while ago, so adjustment was easy.
This was with the car sitting for over 24 hours...I hope it learns this new adjustment...I don't like this 2000 RPM on cold start ups...guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Keith
Old 10-27-2005, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

you sould have reset the computer first
Old 10-28-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, dude, the 2000 RPM starts arent permanent. Youre long idle trims are sky high because of the small hole you had. Now with more airflow and a high idle trim, its flowing way too much air. Like Jerflash said, you can reset the computer, but at this point, id just let it idle for a few minutes to relearn a new idle trim. (EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, resetting the computer will put you back at the IAC park position which is 310 - exactly where your IAC counts were pegged anyway, so not much difference.) Next time you start it should be pretty much right on. From there you should still do the normal idle tuning to get everything dialed in across all temps. Glad its working out for you.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

i think im going to do this as well if it works out for him

because i also ahve low rpm surging when driving in first gear which is probably from this aswell
Old 10-28-2005, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Started it up this morning...around 40 F ....fired right up to 1100 RPMs and slowly came down to 900 with no surging....this is fixed as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jerflash
i think im going to do this as well if it works out for him

because i also ahve low rpm surging when driving in first gear which is probably from this aswell
This will help with cold start surging because when the IAC is maxxed out is has no control, since its pegged fully open. This may help your rolling idle as well. However this is not likely to help get rid of low RPM, low load bucking. Ive tried just about everything and I cant get rid of my bucking. Cammed motors simply dont like to be unloaded. My bucking is worst around 3 - 4% TPS and about 1600 rpm. If you find a fix for that, please let me know!
Old 10-28-2005, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

ya thats when mine happens around 1600 and i ahve the f13 as well

the cam runs great and drives like stock other then low rpm first gear

i think that problem may have to do with the maf readings at that speed espesialy with maf ends or ported mafs. its like at that speed its addin to little fuel of fuel becasue it cant sence the extra air at that speed

i remember when i was runnin this cam on my old trex+heads tune the car ran rich as hell and i was using a buddies stock maf when it was tuned for a ported maf. like i said it ran really rich but no low rpm buckin and the car started up and idled awsome but it was also an open loop tune
Old 10-28-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dont know that it's got anything to do with the MAF. Pull it and find out for yourself. I was running SD for a while and I did see any noticable difference between MAF and MAFless. Are you using HPTuners? If you are, Id love to see your buddie's TRex tune and your F-13 tune and see what the discrepency is between the two, and why the Trex tune didnt buck on your f-13 cammed motor. I have heard that throwing a ton of extra fuel at it will calm it down a bit, but I havnt had luck yet. Its hard to trick it into adding fuel and keeping the closed loop. Also, a ported / ended MAF will be inaccurate until you calibrate it against a dialed in SD tune. Once the MAF is calibrated, the cam still has a lot of reversion in the lower rpms which actually makes the MAF read more than normal since the same air cools the hot-wire maf on the way in, then again on the way out (during reversion). This makes the MAF read more "gross airflow" that moves in both directions vs. the "net airflow" that actually goes into the engine. I hope I explained that correctly.

Originally Posted by jerflash
ya thats when mine happens around 1600 and i ahve the f13 as well

the cam runs great and drives like stock other then low rpm first gear

i think that problem may have to do with the maf readings at that speed espesialy with maf ends or ported mafs. its like at that speed its addin to little fuel of fuel becasue it cant sence the extra air at that speed

i remember when i was runnin this cam on my old trex+heads tune the car ran rich as hell and i was using a buddies stock maf when it was tuned for a ported maf. like i said it ran really rich but no low rpm buckin and the car started up and idled awsome but it was also an open loop tune
Old 10-29-2005, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

i had the trex cam with heads then changed to the f13/stock heads becuase of some problems i had

i does look like with alot of fuel and the stock maf the car stoped buckin though but as soon as i got my ported maf on there i got the buckin back

the tunes were done in hptunners but i ahve not gotten my tuning software yet