Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Problems (98 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 Problems (98 Z28)

My 98 Z28 has 123,000 miles on it. While in neutral I have a very hard time shifting into reverse as well as any other geat. Their is no grinding trying to put it in reverse, but it takes 2 hands to do it. When I finally get it into reverse, I gotta yank it to get back to neutral. I cant get it into 1st w/ out slamming it and giving it a rev. It is also hard to get it into the other gears. I have the same problem downshifting. I put a new clutch in a few months ago and am wondering if it wasnt properly installed.....A couple of my dads mechanices put it in. From the information I have provided, can anyone shoot me in the right direction?

On another note, I have Hooker LT's, 2.5", X-Pipe, No Cats, 2 Flowmaster 1-Chambers dumped. IF they had to take the trans out, I would guess they would have to remove some of the piping?

Thanks!

-VortecLS1
Old 10-27-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try bleed the slave. sounds like its not disengauging fully. i would start there
Old 10-28-2005, 05:58 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah, It is not the slave at all... You either have 1 of 2 problems...maybe 3.

1.) Has that transmission been re-built...ever? If not your synchros are probably more than shot.

2.) If you have trouble getting it in and out of gear here is why in most cases. The T-56 has aluminum 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks. I bet that over the course of the synchros probably wearing out some the forks have been slightly bent.

3.) I had this same issue with reverse and all the gears. Turns out that the 6th gear was physically fused to the mainshaft.
You might want to see if you have good fluid in your transmission. It probably needs a good re-filling anyway. Just use the DOT 3 brake fluid in it if you don't want to buy the expensive crap and that should be more than adequate for your needs. There is a set of small magnets right on the other side of the drain and there could be some debris stuck to them due to your trans. just wearing out from being high mileage.

Hope this helps out some. And throughout the course of this typing I am starting to think that you might want to start with just bleeding the entire system with like a mity-vac throught the top of the master resevoir. Sutter is right, that is a great place to start before you go taking everything apart.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

orange peel i thing i might have possible seen you on 820 going west close to 377. saw a hugger Z about a week ago. might not have been you but it is possible i suppose.

vortech- let us know what you find out
Old 10-28-2005, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! No my trans has never been rebuilt. One of my dads mechanics is gonna take a look at it and start with the fluids like you guys said. I will keep ya'll updated!

Thanks!

-VortecLS1
Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Where on the floor does the clutch engage?
Is is really low and close to the floor?
Stock GM master cylinder?
Seriously, I think that SUTTERERMAN85 was on the right track here it is a master/hydraulic issue here. If your clutch engages really close to the floor it is likely a very common problem that many of us have had in the past with aftermarket clutches. What's happening is that your master is not able to fully disengage the pressure plate, your foot hits the floor before it can completely let go and so the syncros are still engaged a little not allowing the tranny to shift.
Unless you want to take everything apart and start screwing around with the shims . What I suggest for you is to get an adjustable master either the McLeod, or Ram (much cheaper) or you can even attemt to make your's adjustable if you want... But what you need is more pedal travel in that master. Also, if you haven't done it yet do the "drill mod" and once it's all back together, bleed the crap out of the hydraulics to make sure that there is no air in there at all.

Do this before messing with rebuilding your tranny.

Gool Luck!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep :d
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I live right off of Old Decatur, and drive down 820 to grapevine all the time. it prlly was me! Yes, and do the drill mod if you can.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

prob was not too many hugger Z's around you know
Old 11-05-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Nah, It is not the slave at all... You either have 1 of 2 problems...maybe 3.

1.) Has that transmission been re-built...ever? If not your synchros are probably more than shot.

2.) If you have trouble getting it in and out of gear here is why in most cases. The T-56 has aluminum 1-2 and 3-4 shift forks. I bet that over the course of the synchros probably wearing out some the forks have been slightly bent.

3.) I had this same issue with reverse and all the gears. Turns out that the 6th gear was physically fused to the mainshaft.
You might want to see if you have good fluid in your transmission. It probably needs a good re-filling anyway. Just use the DOT 3 brake fluid in it if you don't want to buy the expensive crap and that should be more than adequate for your needs. There is a set of small magnets right on the other side of the drain and there could be some debris stuck to them due to your trans. just wearing out from being high mileage.

Hope this helps out some. And throughout the course of this typing I am starting to think that you might want to start with just bleeding the entire system with like a mity-vac throught the top of the master resevoir. Sutter is right, that is a great place to start before you go taking everything apart.
I just want to make a note that you mentioned to use Dot 3 brake fluid in the trans. Its Dextron 3 trans fluid you want to use not brake fluid!

Quick Reply: T-56 Problems (98 Z28)