New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple car choices

Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple car choices

i need some opinons on some cars. the pros and cons if you will.
2000 Z28 stock white 5 spoke chrome rims 50,xxx miles all options
2000 SS stock silver 71,xxx
1998 SS Lightly modded with basic bolt ons and a beefier trans. went 12.3 at the track. 89,xxx miles

they are all the same price and this car would not be the Daily driver but the fun cruising car. im leaning tworads the first two because there stock and less miles but i dont know where to go from them. I need some ls1tech advice. Thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a cruising car that won't see alot of miles I'd say go with the SS. Changing over to an SS hood/spoiler/wheels is a pretty good chunk of change, so if you like the looks get them at day one. Insurance is a bit higher though. For me the 20k miles wouldn't be worth it, but I drive alot. If it was purely a weekend cruiser then I'd happily make the trade off.

If you live anywhere near salt then the GM 5 spoke chrome (smooth spokes) rims are a liability. They peel really easily. I know these were only supposed to be a 98-99 rim but some '00's got them as well.

Probably the most important thing, is to consider where you want the car to end up. Personally I'd go with the Z28 due to the lower miles and wanting to do my own mods, not drawing a lot of attention from smokey.

But the SS appearance package is a big deal. If you want it, get it now.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get what you want. it is not hard to do bot ons to an LS1, get a new intake lid (approx $100) cat back exhaust (anywhere from 400-800) headers...if you go stainless steel youre looking at 800 bucks to 1200, but if you go pacesetters i think they are around 400-500....are these cars autos or manuals? if theyre a manual id say at least get a rear end cover if not a 9" rear end, but an auto would be fine with a cover, some Nitto's or BFG drag radials for traction, and since these cars are pre 01 maybe an LS6 manifold or a fast manifold. those mods right there should send you into the mid-low 12's especially if its an auto...get a stall converter....those have dropped .5sec off of a quarter mile time on some cars. get whatever car you want though, ultimately...you have to drive it so it would make sense for you to have what you want.

Search this Thread