Midwestern Members - How many people in IL arent running a front plate?

Luna
10-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Just as the title implies how many people in Illinois (Chicago area preferably) don't run a front plate on their cars? Do you get crap from the cops ? Is it just a fix it ticket? I just got a deal on a plate filler for my bird on ebay and will be putting it on regardless, just wondering what I should expect.

I think if I get pulled over I'll say, "I didnt know you could put a front plate on this car!!"

Moparnos (The SLP Guy)
10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
i never had any problems on any car that i owned

LiquidFire350
10-27-2005, 10:05 PM
when i got the car, had a plate
shortly after i bought a new grill so i didnt have a plate
a year later i was followed for 2 miles before getting pulled over, ticket for no front plate only - EDIT: this was in North Aurora Airport Rd. and Lake St.
pull old grill back on with plate untill court date, showed pictures of having a plate on the car, ticket got thrown out, the next day the new grill was back in minus the plate

id say as long as you dont drive in a manner that brings attention to yourself, they are pretty cool about it

however my dad was in Dekalb and got pulled over by a state cop and was givin a fix-it ticket, he didnt even put the plate back on, just went to the station and told the police that hes got a plate on the car now, and they said ok

Matt D
10-27-2005, 10:08 PM
I do not runs plates in the front nor rear. ;)

Cephiros
10-27-2005, 10:09 PM
i have no front plate, my toher car (that didnt even have a holder) got pulled over adn ticketed for it, i put on the plate adn took it to court, and got a reduced fine, so ti all depends on what kinda dicks they feel liek being, but its not a moving violation so tis all good, personally i keep the plate inth e car, adn if i get pulled over i simply tell me its a show car and i had forgotten to put the plate back on, its right here *gets it from under seat*
(never happened, but prepared..if it works, i duno)

Luna
10-27-2005, 10:16 PM
What was the reduced fine ?

RPM WS6
10-27-2005, 10:24 PM
I didn't run a front plate on my WS6 for the first 4 years that I had it. Only got hassled one time for it, at one of those check points they setup looking for drunk drivers. Just got a warning. That was in either Hanover Park or Schaumburg, it was in '01. Then again, that car was not on the road very often.....

SLP CARS '98
10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I've never had a front plate on any car I've ever owned. I've been pulled over dozens of times and only once the police officer asked me where my front plate was and I just told him that I just got my car back from the body shop after having a front end collision. It was the truth what I told him but I left out the part that I didn't have a front plate on the car prior to the accident. Then approx. a month ago I was stopped by a road side safety check on I90 @ Arlington Heights Rd. W/B by the Illinois State Police. The State Trooper made a comment about me not having a front license plate. Then he asked if I have the plate and I just don't have it on the car or if someone stole it. I was honest with him and I just told him I don't have it on the car and he was real nice and said that he had to write me a written warning. After writing me the written warning he said that a written warning doesn't cost any money but it goes in the Illinois State Police computer system for the next year and if I get stopped by the Illinois State Police again in the next 12 months they'll write me a citation.

badhoopty
10-27-2005, 10:29 PM
i've never been hassled for it either, i live in lincoln square. i would think if you have other 'noticeable' issues such as open exhaust or tinted windows they might be more inclined to give ya crap.

scrmnws6
10-27-2005, 10:32 PM
You guys are lucky. In the first year that I had my Formula WS6, I received 2 tickets and was pulled over 4 times for no front plate. I just keep it in the window though, and if I get pulled over again, Ill tell them that it is a show car and that I drive it around 600 miles a year.

Had to go to court though, forgot what the fee was. Pulled over twice in Oak Brook and twice in Willowbrook.

CrawlinWS6
10-27-2005, 10:37 PM
I do not runs plates in the front nor rear. ;)

Ya, I noticed that saturday. But then again most race cars don't have plates.

CrawlinWS6
10-27-2005, 10:40 PM
As you can see, I don't run one either. I got pulled over from time to time and got a $20.00 ticket (Brookfield area). Then after I put the front decal on (reflective) it draws to much attention and I get pulled over more often. I had my front plate on maybe 2 times for a month at a time. But it just does not look right.

Beware of stone park though. One of my buddies got busted there for no front plate on his ta, and he got a $75.00 ticket. So just avoid stone park.

Matt D
10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Race Car...Race Car???...Yeah, I guess so :nod:

CrawlinWS6
10-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, I haven't seen your car on the street in awhile.

Luna
10-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Sounds like its kind of all in the luck, I am worried about Tinley Park though, anyone have experience w/ TP and no front plates?

LiquidFire350
10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
You guys are lucky. In the first year that I had my Formula WS6, I received 2 tickets and was pulled over 4 times for no front plate. I just keep it in the window though, and if I get pulled over again, Ill tell them that it is a show car and that I drive it around 600 miles a year.

Had to go to court though, forgot what the fee was. Pulled over twice in Oak Brook and twice in Willowbrook.
dont put it in the window, i had a cop tell me this, the only legal place is displayed on the outside of the car on the front
putting it in the window brings attention to the fact that its improperly displayed, and now the cop is thinking about, if you dont put it in the window, 90% of the time they just wont even think about it

CrawlinWS6
10-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Sounds like its kind of all in the luck, I am worried about Tinley Park though, anyone have experience w/ TP and no front plates?

I have never had a problem in Tinley Park. Probably because of all the damn traffic that goes thru, it's not worth their time.

93camaroLT1
10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
When I was 17 I drove a civic loud enough to hear from a mile away and drove without a front or rear plate for 3 months. To add to this I delivered pizzas around 3 towns 4 nights a week and was even followed by cops from time to time and still never got pulled over, lol, I don't even understand how a cop didn't stop me for that but they didnt.

Cephiros
10-28-2005, 11:45 AM
i dont remeber waht it cost, it was a couple years ago, sorry.

OctaneZ28
10-28-2005, 01:39 PM
It really depends on the area, some cops care, some don't.
I haven't had a front plate on a car I've owned in 10 years.
I've gotten stopped three times for it... once about 3 miles from my house back in 1999 in my 1999 Camaro (verbal warning), once this summer downstate in my Z28(written warning), and once this spring in my town in my Grand Am (written warning - also for window tints).

JD1969
10-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't have one and have never been pulled over for it. I have been pulled over for other things and the cop mentions the no front plate but they have never done anything about it.

88monte
10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Well, I haven't seen your car on the street in awhile.

my cars back on the street. :engarde: i dont have a front plate either

flynlow3
10-28-2005, 05:06 PM
Never had a problem. I havent had front plates since i was 16. Thats been almost 5 yrs now. It helps that i have an Illinois State Police license plate bracket and my plates say: ISP 2566 For Illinois state police and the 4 digit id number. Never recieve any tickets that way. Ive been pulled over a lot because i simply have a lead foot but they think im on there side so they look the other way.

Jeff

SSPEEDY
10-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Illegal not to have one in the state of IL. It's up to the officers discretion, they can get you or not.

If you get a parking ticket for no front plate in Chicago you're fucked. You could show up for the hearing and it won't matter. $50 dollar fine.

BTW, you can't just slap it on temporarily with tape or velcro it on, must be affixed to the vehicle. Lot of guys place it on the air dam, technically that isn't the place for it so you can still get a ticket for that even.

Never park it on city property (always a business or private lot/driveway) and you should be ok. If you get pulled over, just tell the truth (and be polite) more than likely they'll let you slide on that one.

sixvi6-camaro
10-28-2005, 10:21 PM
.... If you get a parking ticket for no front plate in Chicago you're fucked. You could show up for the hearing and it won't matter. $50 dollar fine.

... Never park it on city property (always a business or private lot/driveway) and you should be ok. If you get pulled over, just tell the truth (and be polite) more than likely they'll let you slide on that one.

I learned that one. Got a ticket from the chity of chicago for no front plate. went to court and told the judge I put the plate on and expalined I was in an acident that tore the holder out of the bunper cover (which was the truth) but it was fixed now but it didn't matter and I had to pay the fine. I took the plate back off the car the same day. I also got multiple written warnings from forest preserve dickheads. All with the same, "this goes into your record and next time you will recieve a ticket for it rahter than a warning" but I never did get any tickets from them. those are the only times I've had any problems. even the drunk driver/seatbelt saftey checkpoints I've not been hassled. I've not run a front plate on any cars I've had for the most part since 1997.

CrawlinWS6
10-28-2005, 11:06 PM
my cars back on the street. :engarde: i dont have a front plate either

Man I haven't seen your shit out in awhile as well.

Cephiros
10-29-2005, 01:02 AM
I learned that one. Got a ticket from the chity of chicago for no front plate. went to court and told the judge I put the plate on and expalined I was in an acident that tore the holder out of the bunper cover (which was the truth) but it was fixed now but it didn't matter and I had to pay the fine. I took the plate back off the car the same day. I also got multiple written warnings from forest preserve dickheads. All with the same, "this goes into your record and next time you will recieve a ticket for it rahter than a warning" but I never did get any tickets from them. those are the only times I've had any problems. even the drunk driver/seatbelt saftey checkpoints I've not been hassled. I've not run a front plate on any cars I've had for the most part since 1997.

man those seatbelt laws piss me off bigtime, if your over 18 thats the stupidset crap.

if your too stupid to wear it you deserve to die in an accident, whats next, mandatory 5 point harness and helmet for street driving?

mandatory retrofiting of side airbags?

all these damn "for your safty" laws are getting out of hand, thats what survival of the fittest is all about, no wonder the earths population is booming so bad, they jsut wont let the stupid people die like they would if the rules werent around.

Cephiros
10-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Man I haven't seen your shit out in awhile as well.

hes been having it out for awile, unless he put it away again.., ive seen it a number of times

97M6Formula
11-02-2005, 04:50 AM
I dont have a front plate and havent gotten pulle dover in this car for it... F the police f em

02WS6Bird
11-02-2005, 07:26 AM
been pulled over for no front plate on the T/A hadda put one on though...moms idea. Don't fel like paying for a lil shit tcket either.

Not for the Camaro yet but i think thats cuz it still has templates :dunno:

The real question is, can i get away w/ NO exhaust out here in IL and jsut run straight headers.

LiquidFire350
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
The real question is, can i get away w/ NO exhaust out here in IL and jsut run straight headers.
nope, anything other than stock is illegal, although soon im gonna be running LTs and duals, i dont give a shit

Luna
11-02-2005, 02:44 PM
my buddy ran straight headers on his 5.0L F150 for a while and never got shit other than that he only had glass packs on it afterwards never got shit for that either. I'm not sure w sports car can get away w/ it though

wrencher
11-02-2005, 04:04 PM
No F/plate & not gona run one either.....

SSPEEDY
11-02-2005, 10:15 PM
man those seatbelt laws piss me off bigtime, if your over 18 thats the stupidset crap.

if your too stupid to wear it you deserve to die in an accident, whats next, mandatory 5 point harness and helmet for street driving?

mandatory retrofiting of side airbags?

all these damn "for your safty" laws are getting out of hand, thats what survival of the fittest is all about, no wonder the earths population is booming so bad, they jsut wont let the stupid people die like they would if the rules werent around.

Those laws are made to protect people not piss them off. Look up some simple statistics (you can do it online) and see what kind of a difference seat belts make.

Drive safely.

Cephiros
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Those laws are made to protect people not piss them off. Look up some simple statistics (you can do it online) and see what kind of a difference seat belts make.

Drive safely.

all im saying is if we didnt have that law we would have far less stupid people in our midsts.

im not doubting your statistics i already know that, my point was simply your personal safty should be up to you, not big brother.

i feel under the age of 18 safety belts shoud be law, just because they are under an adults responsability (for the most part at least) where as 18 or older if your to stpid to wear a seabelt, the world is much better off without you

yes i dont have much hope for the majoraty of humanity anymore, and the fact that they feel the need for common sence laws is direct proof of why

Formula WS6
11-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I refuse to put on my front plate. Every time I get pulled over, I just tell the officer that the liscense plate bracket was on back order from the dealer. I've gotten off with a warning everytime.

PRAY HRD
11-05-2005, 05:15 PM
i drove my SS for 2 years and never had a front plate on it. not once did i get pulled over or even notice a cop giving it a second look other than to drool over the car itself! lol......yea right. but, never pulled over.

SmokedOutZ28
11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
It really depends on the area, some cops care, some don't.
I haven't had a front plate on a car I've owned in 10 years.
I've gotten stopped three times for it... once about 3 miles from my house back in 1999 in my 1999 Camaro (verbal warning), once this summer downstate in my Z28(written warning), and once this spring in my town in my Grand Am (written warning - also for window tints).
i have to agree, Im not running a front plate on mine but there are 2 surrounding towns im my area that have a fit about no front plate and then there is one that doesnt care. Same thing with window Tints...

ubnsmkd03
11-06-2005, 12:25 PM
stone part is the worst hands i know 4 people that have gotten tickets one of them got one and then another next day again... they love the no front plate and seatbelt $75 for either.... and they dont care who you are of any excuse you have you will get the ticket.... this is between (64) north ave and lake street cause station is right between there and they are always there so avoid it cause if they are in sight you will get one.... :bigun2:

phantomzer0
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
ive never had a problem, i live in lockport, i frequently travel to joliet, orland, and aurora and ive never had any trouble.

SmokedOutZ28
11-06-2005, 09:11 PM
I Heard a rumor that there was a law passed that allowed corvette owners not to run front plates, Any truth to this?

LiquidFire350
11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
i doubt that, why would they let corvette owners not have front plates but still make someone with lets say a ferrari have to have one

9T7 Trans Am
11-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't run no stinkin' plate.

75tonyA
11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
up until two years ago I never ran a front plate, I got pulled over too many times though. Most of the time they are looking for other things. What's that on your breath, do you have any _____ in the car. I have it on now so there is one less reason.

They should not be able to give equipment violations at the same time as parking tickets. I got a tint ticket on my 75 pontiac (exempt) at the same time as a parking ticket by buckingham fountain and it was thrown out b/c they aren't supposed to do that. Parking maids should only handle parking.

oohtwo WS6
11-25-2005, 11:32 PM
It sucks having to have the plate on......but I dont want no reason to be f'd with...I have it on. My cousin runs his with the filler in, got pulled over once on I-55, cop looked right at the front of the car, walked away and wrote a ticket for speeding.....never said a word about the plate.

I want to be left alone.... :)

Jersey_TA
11-26-2005, 12:40 AM
While I'm stationed in nj the plate is off, but when I come home I throw it in the dash. I got pulled over last time I was home for no front plate....just got a warning. It depends on the cop though.

408LS1TA
11-26-2005, 08:35 AM
I live in central IL... and have never ran a front plate on my F-Body's. Been pulled over for window tint, loud exhaust, burning tires, speeding, etc... but they never once mentioned the plate. In my T/A I do have it in the back seat and play on saying "The mounting bracket is on order" if I get pulled over and they mention it. Probably wouldn't matter but that's my plan.

Cephiros
11-26-2005, 10:18 AM
I live in central IL... and have never ran a front plate on my F-Body's. Been pulled over for window tint, loud exhaust, burning tires, speeding, etc... but they never once mentioned the plate. In my T/A I do have it in the back seat and play on saying "The mounting bracket is on order" if I get pulled over and they mention it. Probably wouldn't matter but that's my plan.

i can see that working on a camaro, not a ta since themounting bracket is..well, kinda molded into the front end.

monsterls1
11-27-2005, 10:06 AM
No front plate for almost 4 years now, and never had a problem!

IvIustarID182
11-27-2005, 10:18 AM
I have only been warned once about no front plate and this was when I was pulled over for 45 in a 40 in naperville. It seems to me that cops would rather add this on to a speeding ticket/moving violation than just pull you over for no front plate.

02WS6Bird
11-27-2005, 11:36 AM
you are correct sir lol

if they get you for anything they want to make sure you dont get away without paying for something

I've got a friend get, speeding, improper lane usage, no use of signal (one flash), No front plate, Noise pollution (both exhaust and system), and tints
all for going 55 in a 45 down Harlem Ave. w/ cars doing near 40 mph and pretty evenly spread out enough to squeeze and get in the wide open clear road ahead (sunday drivers) He was able to get out of all buuuuut the front plate and tints cuz of my dad but thats as far as it got not bad though got off w/ $75

s3gulit
11-27-2005, 06:21 PM
I got "stopped" at a 4way here about 2 months ago when the State Police were doing a safety check...i didn't have a front plate on my 99 Silverado and they didn't seem to care.

However they did write me up for Illegal Window Tint, Noise pollution, not having the stock exhaust (there was no exhaust on the truck...just manifold and pipes dumping before the axle), unsafe tire tread on the rear, not wearing a seatbelt, bunch of stupid stuff. never gave me a hassle about not having a front plate though. Thankfully my mom is a county board member and has a close tie with our represenative, so everything they wrote me up for was revoked. :)

When i had my 97Z i was broke and driving around on cold and bald ass tires and slid and started doing donuts (not on purpose) and got a warning for wreckless driving, loss of traction, and endangering people or some other bs since it happened in a school zone on my way to school. Never bothered to mention afront plate again.

I refuse to run a front plate at all...indiana doesn't run one, so i don't since we have tons of ppl from indiana drive 20minutes to work in IL (im about 25minutes from morocco, IN) and usually cops will just think im from indiana and i jus keep cruisin. I think it varies on county, etc. We have 6 cops total on patrol at one time...and we have like the 3rd largest county in IL as far as acres go so theres alot for them to patrol and theres uaully more crime going on with drug dealers than hassleing people about a license plate or speeding.

Dave

chpmnsws6
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
i've only been pulled over once in the 20k miles put on the car. he was more looking for other things though. he let me go saying "nice car, you have a good one"