Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I need experienced opinions on the STS turbo setups

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need experienced opinions on the STS turbo setups

I've got a '99 vette w/a 8.8:1 CR 408 and right now I'm in the market for FI to add to the car. I've been leaning towards and F1R or possibly a vortech T or YSi trim. But recently a couple of vettes have come out w/some pretty impressive numbers. Cartek has a custom sts kit that is running nines, and just in the last week, there is a car out of Houston that put down 740rwhp, with the only limiting factor to be lack of fuel. I know the F-body kits have been out a lot longer and I was wanting to see what the general consensus was on the STS turbo setups.

Are they performing in conjuction w/the rwhp they put down ( or are they like most supercharged cars that sometimes can put down 600rwhp and only run mid 11's whereas a 600rhwp nitrous car can run low 10's high 9's)?

What is the customer service like at STS? If I'm having issues, are they the first to try and help me out, or will they back down and not take responsibility?

How have your turbo's held up over time since they are mounted where they are?

How often do you have to mess w/the tune? Is it finicky, or is it once you have it tuned, youre good to go?

What are some of the best track times you've seen as well as highest rwhp?

This is really just the beginning of my questions, but it's late, and I can't think of everything right now. Thanks for all replies!--Andy
Old 10-28-2005, 06:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really doubted that an STS Turbo equipped car could decent throttle response, but we just built an Camaro SS that we installed an STS on, and I was surprised. This particular car easily ran 11.2 last week on the low boost setting, loaded with tools, etc at a 3880 lb race weight, with what turned out to be a bad maf. We are now at 510 rwhp at 6-7lbs of boost, will be retuning it on the 14 psi setting, possibly today.

The STS install wasn't as straight forward as it should be, in my opinion. The turbo needed an extra hangar for support, directions weren't entirely clear, and the oil return into the valve cover is leaking. We reengineered the STS supplied intercooler plumbing, as well. My e-mail and recent phone calls to my STS rep weren't returned, and it turns out that this rep has quit, or was replaced. Nobody told me... I just found this out yesterday when I e-mailed him, and received a message back that he was no longer with the company.

The F1R that you bought most likely will be a smoother install for you. It is a well proven design. Bob
Old 10-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default i live in okc

If yah want I can take yah for a ride in my car

I live in okc right off may and nw 50th

I have a sts base kit running 5 psi!

I have 42lbs injectors a front mounted intercooler

and a walbro fuel pump.

it feels like a staged nitrous shot comming on .

the power comes on hard but gradual.....

the above guys "exotic performance plus" they do good work from the

pictures I have seen all. The things they did including putting a mount

on the turbo to keep it from sagging should come with the kit.

but their cusotmer put 24k yes $24,000

into that car and acheived around

510 rwhp at 6-7lbs of boost and im sure at 14 psi he will

get around 700-800 hp with that gt-67

so think about it 24k in install and engine work and parts

another 12k-15k for a 2000 + ss camaro

$36,000 damn turbos are the expensive way to go!

If i had to do it over again i would have just listened to rob at extreme

and gotten heads and a cam/ nitrous or a super charger!

I figure after the intercooler and injectors dual stage boost kit and tuning
and if i had to buy all this stuff new it would of costed me around 6000
and thats if you install it yourself and pay someone to tune

do yourself a favor get a supercharger!

the supercharger kits install clean and look great! or get your self a front mounted turbo setup. nothing like seeing 2 turbos under the hood!

I bet yah if the above guy went with a front mount setup and all that cash he dumped in the car he would have better results a better turbo and
more resale value to his car!
my opinion though
the sts kit is cool if you want to do something yourself in the driveway and have limited experience with working on cars. if your gonna pay some one
to install this kit go with a supercharger or a front mounted turbo.
youll be happier in the long run.
But if you have a need to have some thing different go sts
not too many people here in oklahoma have this kit.

if yah want a ride in my car let me know!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

just like on everything else, opinions vary on all products. How well the car will do on the drag strip will depend on your whole set up. The system will make the numbers and can perform very well. There are full size trucks running low 11's with not much done to them. You dont have to spend what was mentioned above to do it either. STS does have a twin rear set up for C-5's that is out now and includes intercooler, fuel upgrades, and tuning.
We are finishing an F-body with a built motor and GT-70. Feel free to come to Dallas and check it out and go for a ride. That is the best way to know first hand. p.m. me if you want more details on the car and directions if you want to check it out.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

My 4500 lb truck ran 11.35 @ 118 last sat. I have a gt67 Set at 12psi. No I/C. Meth inj. The STS kit has far exceeded my expectations. It took 2 of us 8 hours to remove a s/c and install the turbo. The instructions could have been better, but you can figure it out if you have commmon sense. Sts has the best customer service around. If you are considering a kit. I would highly recommend you give Billy at trtturbo.com a call. He can answer any questions you may have.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98Ztwentyeight
If yah want I can take yah for a ride in my car

I live in okc right off may and nw 50th

I have a sts base kit running 5 psi!

I have 42lbs injectors a front mounted intercooler

and a walbro fuel pump.

it feels like a staged nitrous shot comming on .

the power comes on hard but gradual.....

the above guys "exotic performance plus" they do good work from the

pictures I have seen all. The things they did including putting a mount

on the turbo to keep it from sagging should come with the kit.

but their cusotmer put 24k yes $24,000

into that car and acheived around

510 rwhp at 6-7lbs of boost and im sure at 14 psi he will

get around 700-800 hp with that gt-67

so think about it 24k in install and engine work and parts

another 12k-15k for a 2000 + ss camaro

$36,000 damn turbos are the expensive way to go!

If i had to do it over again i would have just listened to rob at extreme

and gotten heads and a cam/ nitrous or a super charger!

I figure after the intercooler and injectors dual stage boost kit and tuning
and if i had to buy all this stuff new it would of costed me around 6000
and thats if you install it yourself and pay someone to tune

the supercharger kits install clean and look great! or get your self a front mounted turbo setup. nothing like seeing 2 turbos under the hood!

I bet yah if the above guy went with a front mount setup and all that cash he dumped in the car he would have better results a better turbo and
my opinion though
the sts kit is cool if you want to do something yourself in the driveway and have limited experience with working on cars. if your gonna pay some one
to install this kit go with a supercharger or a front mounted turbo.
youll be happier in the long run.
But if you have a need to have some thing different go sts
not too many people here in oklahoma have this kit.

if yah want a ride in my car let me know!
Give me a call at 4052024120 sometime this afternoon, I'm going up to Extreme sometime tonight to pick up my car, they should be done anytime. I'd definitely like to go for a ride
Old 10-29-2005, 08:23 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Keep in mind my customer had us build a forged stroker engine for his car, for longetivity, including the bottom end stud girdle.
FAST 90mm intake.
Nick Williams 90mm throttle body.
We had the transmission built by Rodney at RPM Transmission.
New Powerstop performance brakes.
New Spohn torque arm
New BMR sway bar
BMR control arm relocation brackets
Coil springs
New shocks
New M/T drag tires.
Gauges, including wide band.
60lb fuel injectors
Two fuel pumps.
PST 3.5" driveshaft
STS turbo with GT 67 turbo upgrade
STS bov
STS intercooler option
STS electronic boost controller

Bob
Old 10-29-2005, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For a 408 Vette I'd do a supercharger instead of a STS. Shave the heads to 9.2-1 compression and run a F1 or F1R with a 4.0 pulley /8 rib setup. I see no reason you can't hit 800+rwhp since we hit 760rwhp with 346 street setup's
Old 10-29-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98Ztwentyeight

Another vote for the F1R... If you can afford it, go with a front mount turbo system (better performance, design, resale, and almost trhe same cost). That new single turbo system from FFHP looks like a great bargin as well!

BTW, the results on that STS car from TX were very impressive, but keep in mind the car had a completly built stroker w/ all the goodies and the numbers you quoted were run on 104 octane gas. Your 408 with the F1R could easily surpass those numbers w/o having to use 104!
Old 10-30-2005, 01:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

There really are no time tested (do it yourself install) turbo kits out on the market that I know of for these cars. More than likely this is due to the short life of the companies that have produced most of the turbo kits. Turbo mounts go through extreme heat cycles, and cracking can be a real problem. Are these companies going to be there for you if you have problems in the future? Many people aren't concerned as they can fix potential problems themselves, and figure the power potential far outweighs the pitfalls. Burt on the other hand, there are a lot of people who want to bolt a system on. and not have to worry about it.
The ATI ProChargers have been on the market for a long time, and have gone through many revisions and updates. If you are looking for a reputable company that puts out an awesome product, go with the ATI ProCharger for your Corvette. Bob

Quick Reply: I need experienced opinions on the STS turbo setups