Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/cam swap question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/cam swap question

Guys, I am thinking about swapping out the LS1 heads and cam in my car for an LS6 H/C setup. I saw a couple of nice ones from both Pace Performance and Summit Racing. Price seems okay for the swap. I'm also going for a full exhaust sytem in hopes of topping out somewhere north of 400 rwhp. Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? If so, what type of gains did you see? Have you had any problems with it so far? Has your driveability and/or mileage suffered appreciably since the swap? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve....
Old 10-28-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on what your goals are. Are you currently stock? I suggest taking a look at our sponsors to the right for a true heads and cam package. What kind of budget do you have? It takes alot of little things besides just swapping heads and a cam. Is your car an A4 (automatic) or M6 (standard)? Everyone has different setups, gains are always there, it just depends on what your comfortable with. Do you want a drag car? road racer? or a modified daily driver? With these kind of upgrades, problems are an everyday thing. Some upgrades will give you driveability and mileage issues. Your gonna get a lot of advice. Research, and you'll find your answers. One more thing. Once you start modding, you'll never be satisfied
Old 10-28-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would only recommend the ls6 h/c if you wanted absolutely stock driving manners, otherwise your money will be much better spent buying other aftermarket items. the 405 HP is rated at the flywheel, not RWHP. I would start by doing exhaust and long tube header, and an ls6 intake if you have a 2000 or earlier car. As far as heads and cam, youll get a million opinions from this board. Id check out texas speed and performance h/c packages, or better yet, mix and match a futral cam with a set of TEA or PRC heads. Depending on what you go with, you could be anywhere from 390 - 450 RWHP in a m6, maybe a little less in an a4.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Guys, thanks for the info. For clarification, my car is a 2001 WS6, A4. I want a modified daily driver with relatively civilized driving manners that can back up the note coming out the back end. The first things I plan on are going with a completely new exhaust system, subframe connectors, and strut tower brace as the first mods.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

I would like to hear this aswell. This is the same thing I am looking for in my 98 T/A M6. I have the current mods below plus a ported ls6 intake and ported 85mm throttle body. I was looking at a ls6 cam and having mine ported or getting some ls6 head and have them ported.
No trying to hijack the thread just trying to share it since we are looking for the same thing.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Most responses will tell you to go bigger than the stock LS6 setup.

You can get MUCH better setups that will make quite a bit more power, for just about the same $$.

My setup, for example, drives just like stock under 2k, a bit more power from 2k to 4k, and screams above that to redline (around 6500). The idle is barely rougher than stock, and after a month so far, no one has noticed the cam just by sound.

But, I make quite a bit more power than just an LS6 setup.

Bottom line, you can get heads that flow much better than stock LS6 with absolutely NO bad side effects for daily driving (in fact, I'd argue the better the head, the better the daily driver). And if you go with a mild cam (anything 224 or under) you won't suffer driveability. But the LS6 cam is WAY too mild IMO to bother swapping for, unless you absolutely don't want anything even remotely wilder than stock feel.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

set of TSP/PRC 2.5 heads and a tr224 112lsa cam about 440rwhp 420tq, drives like stock until you hammer it. Of course you need all the supporting mods as well.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

probrably gonna go with a tr224 on a 112lsa