Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Did you know.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you know.........

The front of the harmonic balancer on the '98 and '99's aren't flat. When you put the SDCE pulley on it, it will wobble. But they can only tell you that information over the phone after it's all installed.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info...i'm about to order the SDCE but its going on an 01...maybe this is why my ASP pulley wobbled on my 98...
Old 10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SDCE has no runout at all on my stock 98 balancer I can see, most likely yours isnt seated all the way in the balancer or something is under it not letting it sit flat. The part that locates the SDCE pulley is right in the center and the size of that hole in the casting varies a little from different year dampers and some fit in vert tight and can get cocked before the seat all the way down. Also if you pinned the balancer and the pin is sticking out some the pulley wont sit flush.

FWIW the stock procharger kit crank pulley locates on the exact same part of the balancer as the SDCE pulley does.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Launching!

The seating and all was checked pretty closely. SDCE was called after we found the problem. They are the ones that told us of the problem with the 98 and 99's. That's why I posted here. Wanted to inform anyone else doing this to watch for this problem. I found a pulley off a 2000 SS we are going to replace it with. The crank was pinned and that will be checked also while it's apart. Thanks for the input.
Chuck
Old 10-28-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this a long time ago as well and was upset too at finding this, but realized the fault laid with GM's tolerances and not SDCE's. Its the manufacturing tolerances of the crank pulleys. Some are perfect others are "tight" and won't let the pulley seat into the crank pulley.

Wendy and Scott both were made aware of this when I was installing it on my car. I fixed the problem with a dremel and a good eye. The SDCE pulley was "machined" down around the seating collar, by me and I made fit perfectly on my crank pulley.

This set up is doing quite well on KP's car currently if you look at the times in his sig. A lil time and yours will seat great too. Its out of SDCE's control as its an issue with the GM crank pulleys and not an issue with SDCE set up. Making two different pulleys wouldn't be cost effective for SDCE's, so they make just one.

Very little has to be taken away and I had it done in about 15-20 minutes checking and rechecking the fit. I used a flap wheel, with a medium grit FWIW.

I can post pics of the crank pulley and where I clearanced it to fit. ALSO get a another flap wheel(semi aggressive) for a dremel and hit the inner part of your GM crank pulley, this will eliminate all the gunk like RUST, paint and dirt that accumulated in there over time and allow your SDCE crank pulley to seat very nicely as well.

J
Old 10-28-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep same here... i bought a new balancer when my old 6 rib crap dented the crap out of my old one...... didnt have a problem at all on my 98.......
Kyle