Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sd ve tables for big cam please

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default sd ve tables for big cam please

I'm trying to tune in SD but not having much luck. My car runs like total **** when in open loop even though I tried leaning it out. It backfires and hesitates like the block wants to jump out from under the hood when cold. Anyways, will someone please share VE tables, spark tables, and Open Loop F/A vs. coolant temp vs. MAP please. Just looking for something close for me to get started. I had a mail order tune but it looks like the above mentioned tables were left untouched (except the timing).
TIA
Old 10-29-2005, 07:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should consideer upgrading your OS to a 2001/2002 OS
it will make th etuning process a little easier..
with that said...

for a cam I usually start with the stock tables...
then I increase the VE by about 15% as a starting point
since you are a 99 you will need to do the Primary VE ...then copy the columns from the even # maps across to the secondary VE
I use the OL table as ALL 1.00 across the whole thing, and leave PE mode engauged as If I was Normally Driving the Vehicle...and of course..tune with a wideband

for the spark tables you need to get the A/F richer than stoich for normal cells and Richer than your Comandd PE for the that area before you can say if its knocking or not....as fueling will clean up knock in a lot of cases..
once you get to that point..If your Fuel is Rich and you are knocking then you should pull timing unitil it stops knocking..also consider getting a couple of gallons of 100 octane in a gas can so you can put that in to see if you are getting false knock or real knock

what are you doing to put the car in SD....
somepeople put the MAF codes to the wrong setting when they are trying to get rid of an SES Light...and then it runs like crap or not at all
Old 10-29-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Well after finding a stock tune for a '99 it looks like the "tuner" that did my mail order tune left the VE tables stock. I changed the low and hi octane timing tables to what another board member has (similar cam). I use MAF fail freq to zero to get in SD. I tried the OL fuel table decreasing the numbers by about 10% yesterday and it seemed to run even worse. Once in closed loop the car runs fine. I did notice that the LT's were around -15 after trying a fuel trim relearn after about 120 miles of SD driving. I looked at pasting the histogram into my VE but it would have made the numbers really low at low RPMs. I got so frustrated w/ the OL crap that I turned my MAF back on last night and reloaded the stock VE tables. At one point I was getting the flashing SES while it was bucking and popping in OL. I'll give SD another shot today and put the OL numbers all at 1. What the heck causes the mad backfires and popping?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:38 AM
8 Second Club

ok..so you are worried about "LOW" #'s in your VE....
some spots(especially LOW RPM) will be lower due to the overlap of a bigger cam
do exactly as I stated above...
it works well.
copy youer High octane tabel to the Low table for SD...in SD youc car only uses the LOW octane unless you have a 1 bar SD enhancement from HP Tuners that allows you to have SD with both spark tables
and dont start with somebody elses spark map...its different for every cam and every cars mods...
start with the stock table...
teh only spark table mods that seem to be pretty universal are the IDLE Spark advance in Park and in Drive tables
put all the OL vs ECT #'s at 1.000
completely disconnect the maf if you are going to tune SD....makes it immediately fall completely in SD...
sometimes MAF Fail of 0 doesnt fall into sd the first start up
add 15% to your Stock VE
it will be a little rich...but better to start out rich than to start out way lean
Old 10-29-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

so add 15% above 1200 rpms and go with the traditional reduction in the 400/800/1200 columns? I already copied hi to low octane. About to set OL to 1.000 and disconnect MAF and give it another try. I just hope the OL behavior is better this time. It was absolutely HORRIBLE when I tried it before. So I need to have PE enabled while SD tuning? Also I intend to order an LC-1 b/c I know it would make this MUCH easier. So how's the weather up in KC? I used to live in Overland Park...I bet it's a little warmer here
Old 10-29-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Well just tried it w/ bad results again. W/ MAF fail set to zero and unplugged I get the MAF high freq SES light and P0108 for MAP high volts. Car would not idle and was popping like crazy again. This is w/ stock VE tables and stock open loop table. I put the MAF fail back to normal and plugged MAF back in and reflashed and now both trouble codes are gone. Why am i getting P0108 for the MAP sensor when attempting SD and why won't open loop SD work for me!!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:20 PM
8 Second Club

weather is noce here today...bout 70*

can you send me a .bin or a .hpt....I might not get to it till about 2am..have to work all day and night...
but I'll look at it and see IF theres anything obvious....has to be something small that you are missing that I am just not thinking of right now...
Old 10-29-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

appreciate the help...sent you my .bin file
-Geoff
Old 10-30-2005, 06:18 PM
8 Second Club

Fixed
you are welcome

looks like your "tuner" had no clue what he/she was doing...many tables that didnt need to be touched(should have been corrected in other areas which are the correct areas)...were way screwed up...and there were problems that were fixed the wrong way....
so I Put things in line the way they should be...
Now it runs in SD.....
Old 10-30-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Well I won't list the name of the company that did my crap tune but you're absolutely right...night and day difference using your tables as far as running in open loop SD. The car ran like total crap in OL before but now it's all good. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anyway i can get a copy of the bin also. been having problems since mail order tune also, won't list company though. please help have some drivability issues still even though we worked some of it out.