Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

advanced turbo tech

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advanced turbo tech

ok so we all knw the basics.. exhaust is pushed out of the cylinders and through the turbo to turn it. heres my technical question. with the right setup, wouldnt the trubo be on the verge of creating a vaccum to suck out said exhaust or already be causeing a vaccum? and on that note, how can you tell if you actually are getting all of the exhaust out or is that not technically possible? it seems that you would want a very small amount of overlap to use the boost to push whats left of the exhaust out to make a more efficient burn. i dont know if what i said is physically possible but it just makes too much sense.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

go to the forced induction section and read the sticky about FI.and go to www.forcedinductions.com and read turbo 101.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo operates more off the intensely hot and expanding gases to turn the turbine, not just the flow of the exhaust over the vanes.

Jim
Old 10-30-2005, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeltaT
The turbo operates more off the intensely hot and expanding gases to turn the turbine, not just the flow of the exhaust over the vanes.

Jim
Like after having mexican food......
Old 10-30-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ddnspider
go to the forced induction section and read the sticky about FI.and go to www.forcedinductions.com and read turbo 101.
i knw how a turbo works, the question was could it create a vaccum or scavenging effect. its not exactly a common question. yes, i knw turbos create a lot of backpressure and i knw that they are also run by the heat of the exhaust, but can they be matched well enough or to be setup in such a way that would cause a sort of vaccum in the cylinders to pull fresh air in. im wondering if the physics of a turbo would allow a scavenging effect in the engine.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Pathological Modifier

Um, One word, NO.

When you realize that a Turbo charger "typically" creates exhaust pressures 2 to 3 times the Intake charge, there is no way that a turbo system will create any scavenging effect.

Ryan
Old 10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

The exhaust is what is turning the turbo, how could the turbo be sucking out the exhaust? Something else would have to be turning the turbo.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ryan K
Um, One word, NO.

When you realize that a Turbo charger "typically" creates exhaust pressures 2 to 3 times the Intake charge, there is no way that a turbo system will create any scavenging effect.

Ryan
so, a turbo not only relies on exhaust and exhaust heat, but also the exhaust pressure. so what is being said is, since the exhaust pressure is being itself, compressed, that can increase its temp, or keep it relatively close to what it was in the cylinder. so, if the blades/fins were designed to drop the pressure that would actually create a crap load of lag, be way less efficient AND make less power. my plan on a decent discussion kinda went out the window. i guess i over complicate things..

Quick Reply: advanced turbo tech