Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you have your ram air system set up on your drag car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How do you have your ram air system set up on your drag car?

I was thinking about adding onto what I have now which is the Fast Toys ram air kit. I wanted to route some kind of lightweight piping from the holes in the front fascia up to the bottom of the ram air kit. Do you think that would make any difference as oppose to the way it comes? In my opinion, I think air coming from the front of the car straight into the piping would have more pressure and more volume as opposed to air just scooping up from under the car. Please post up pics, thanks.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm intrested as well. My FTRA is deffinatly pretty heavy. Wasn't there a company making a composite ram air set up?

I'd like to get rid of the whole lid set up. Maybe could get something fabbed up out of turbo piping. Wouldn't be light though.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Mad Man cold air rand into one of those big round holes in the front bumper with a 9in K&N filter.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

GM Muscle, I wasn't necessarily meaning replacing the FTRA, just simply adding to it for more air volume and possilby a little more pressure.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Here's a picture of my "ram air"/air intake

David
Attached Thumbnails How do you have your ram air system set up on your drag car?-engine1.jpg   How do you have your ram air system set up on your drag car?-engine2.jpg  
Old 10-30-2005, 09:19 AM
9 Second Club NA

Navy David SS, are you still running a MAF? Did you see any gains at the track or on the dyno from the factory style setup using an aftermarket lid and filter? Looks good, any more pics?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

As you can see the piping goes where the window wash/battery use to be. The MAF is under there. I personally seen the very significant gain. Only real change from last year to the beginning of this year, was droping 250lbs and the air intake. It gained me over .4 in the 1/4 (best last year on engine only at our track was a 11.8, this year 11.4). Figure .2-3 for the weight loss, it gained at least a .1-.2. All the sensors just seemed to be easier to tune. Intake Temp was always cooler. All this was before I broke my totally stock bottom engine (due to the wheelie in my signature). With the engine's present set up, again it ran great - on the engine (best was 11.2). Never could get the suspension set correctly for the nitrous. It hit so hard that it wanted to bounce off the wheelie bars and unload the rear wheels. There is always next year. Yet another new set up for next year.

David
Old 10-30-2005, 11:53 AM
LC
TECH Resident

I'm going to try something with (extensible?) pipes from home depot and some fiberglass, but i need some free time first.. duh..
Old 10-30-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Navy David SS

David
That looks sweet, is that aluminum piping? I've been wanting to do something similar for a long time now...if I only knew how to weld!
Old 10-30-2005, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I'm intrested as well. My FTRA is deffinatly pretty heavy. Wasn't there a company making a composite ram air set up?

I'd like to get rid of the whole lid set up. Maybe could get something fabbed up out of turbo piping. Wouldn't be light though.
You could always use the SSRA setup which is made of plastic instead of sheetmetal. It's very light.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Navy David SS

David
I have something similar in my LS1 RX7 that doesn't look as nice. I want to re-do it like that with aluminum piping. I made mine the day before racing so didn't have much time. I cut a 3 5/8" hole in the corner of the engine bay and ran the air filter under the fender.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
You could always use the SSRA setup which is made of plastic instead of sheetmetal. It's very light.
That's the composite/plastic one I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. I think I'm going to try something like David's to go with a 90/90 fast intake set up.

BTW: David, How to you have your radiator mounted? Also, what radiator is that?
Old 10-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
That's the composite/plastic one I was thinking of. I couldn't remember the name of it for the life of me. I think I'm going to try something like David's to go with a 90/90 fast intake set up.

BTW: David, How to you have your radiator mounted? Also, what radiator is that?
I want to know the same thing. I am going 90mm, no MAF, and custom intake. only problem is how to mount the radiator. what fan is that as well?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have seen some cars at FMS while is was dynoing that had sheetmetal duct that you use on the back of your clothes dryer. You may find some at your local HVAC dealer or Home Depot. The stuff is flexable so it looked like it worked great.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Turo
That looks sweet, is that aluminum piping?
Yep. Aluminum. I can have Joey make one up for ya. Shouldn't be much more than $200. BUT the problem would be exactly where you want it.

The Griffin radiator is mounted in the "normal" place with 4 tabs.

The problem with any of the Home Depot specials would be heat and/or cold. I run a TNT wet system. Not sure if you can see it, but the nozzles are drilled and tapped down near where the battery use to be. I would NOT want to shoot nitrous through a drier hose.

David
Old 10-31-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

David, do you know if it would it be possible to have the pipe come over the upper radiator support and then down infront of the radiator (I have non of the factory hood latch crap left). Maybe using one of the oval shaped corvette filters. Just a thought.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

GM. I personally think - if you have taken all the front clip support and "foam" out of the front end, that would be the ideal place for an air intake. I would be afraid you'd loose some of the air flow if you get to restrictive with the piping. But it is a thought. Some of the turbo people put the turbo through the front - similar to what you are talking about.

David
Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that 4in piping?

SPAL fan?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club NA

Do any of you guys have ideas on what I could add to my Fast Toys ram air kit? I really don't want to do away with the FTRA kit right now or change the complete intake system because I just recently changed it all when I upgraded to the 90mm intake and throttle body. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Do any of you guys have ideas on what I could add to my Fast Toys ram air kit? I really don't want to do away with the FTRA kit right now or change the complete intake system because I just recently changed it all when I upgraded to the 90mm intake and throttle body. Thanks.
http://www.lmperformance.com/3476/1.html

That will extend teh FTRA's scoop to the front of the car, so you can grab more air. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: How do you have your ram air system set up on your drag car?