Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed Energy Susp Trans Mount OH NO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed Energy Susp Trans Mount OH NO!!!!

I have some banging of my Y pipe that I was trying to get rid of. I installed an Engery Suspension Tranny Mount. I got the generic GM one from AutoZone and even ground off the humps per a recommendation off this board. The banging is a lot better, but my car now sounds like a Briggs & Stratton engine is running inside the cockpit. The vibration is fine, it's just the noise! Some people say it will get better with time. I'll give it a couple of weeks, but this is not good.

Anyone had this noise and did it go away??
Old 10-29-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are trying to fix the banging Y-pipe problem, then I believe you bought the wrong part. Proper fix for that is Motor Mounts, not the trans mount.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Default Tranmission mount

Had the same problem with the y-pipe banging and installed the same energy suspension mount. Only difference is i took a die grinder and cut out the opening on the bottom of the cross member and drilled holes and used allen head bolts to were I have bolts going into all 3 bolt holes on the bottom of the new monnt. Now my y-pipe doesn,t bang any more.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, but I am not complaining about the banging, it went away. I'm asking if anyone has the added noise from using such a stiff mount and if the noise went away?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I replaced my tranny mount with a new rubber one and put poly motor mounts in. That is a good combo.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 'noise' went away for me after a month. However I get bad vibrations if I go WOT with the AC on. Even though the pump shuts off at 4K.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

mine seemed to quiet down, but there is some vibration. I dont care, as long as it holds up, I love it. That rubber one is a piece of ****.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:54 AM

A friend of mine put one in his A4 98 Z and it lasted a week and he went back to the old one. I guess the vibration & noise were pretty bad.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine on for about 4 months and finally took it off. It was so damn noisy and made the whole car shake at 60-70mph, I forgot how quite it was with the rubber one it was so much better than that poly. If you ask me the poly is a total waste unless your car is a full built race car.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried retorquing the mount and it still is making my car sound like a Diesel inside the car! I put my stocker back on. The only good news is when I was under the car I loosened the Y pipe, moved it off the bottom of the car, retightened it and it no longer bangs even with the stock trans mount.

Does anyone know if they still make the 1LE? The stocker is starting to tear on the edges and I know I'm living on borrowed time.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by glennhl
I tried retorquing the mount and it still is making my car sound like a Diesel inside the car! I put my stocker back on. The only good news is when I was under the car I loosened the Y pipe, moved it off the bottom of the car, retightened it and it no longer bangs even with the stock trans mount.

Does anyone know if they still make the 1LE? The stocker is starting to tear on the edges and I know I'm living on borrowed time.
They don't make the 1Le any more.
Some web sites still sell what is supposedly a 1Le mount, but it is actually an LT1 mount, and it is taller than the LS1 mount. So you have to space the tranny crossmember down to use it. I tried it, it is not much, if any stiffer than the stock mount. Another POS, IMHO.

Quick Reply: Just installed Energy Susp Trans Mount OH NO!!!!