Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega Squirt

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 01:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mega Squirt

I know a few people are working on getting the LS1 Coil on Plug system to work with mega-squirt. Was wondering if anyone is done? Talking about a non-wasted spark system using the stock crank sensor, cam sesor, and timing wheel.

I'm really interested in using this on a 67' Camaro.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Here's an idea. I'm not sure that it'll work but it should. I'm planning on trying this on a lq9 swap in a 98 sonoma. Use MSD ls1/ls6 ignition controller, you can map timing curves vs rpm and MAP with the msd's prodata software. Then use the rpm output signal from the MSD controller as a RPM input for the Megasquirt. Then use the Megasquirt for fuel control only. The Megasquirt can then be programmed with rpm/map/tps tables. I believe Parish (turbo 10 sec truck) is using megasquirt for fuel control only. Just an idea, It should work, I plan on using a ton of nitrous in my setup and the programability of the pro-data software for timing curves should really come in handy. I beleive there are other options for the LSX ign systems using the megasquirt but I feel the combination of the MSD controlller and gm's inputs will be hard to beat reliability wise.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thats the thing im trying to stay cheap and a $300 ignition module isn't cheap to me. I heard v2 of megasquirt should support COP. You know anything about this?

It sounds like parish got the stock crank wheel working but id like be able to fire coils without a wasted spark setup (Ford EDIS) because at some rpm (which will be have that of a non wasted spark system) the coil is not going to have enough dwell time and therefore cannot make a hot enough spark. (this is my understanding correct me if im wrong)

Also got another question why not run the stock pcm with hptuners to control timing and then use MS for fuel and nitrous control? That is what I would do had if I had the stock computer. plus all your guages should work.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Still working on it Didn't touch it this weekend though, Saturday was spent running errands and pulling the engine transmission out of my Mustang in prep. for its new LS1 Sunday was spent at a friend's wedding.

BUT -- MS2 will not support COP, there's not enough I/O lines on the processor That's where my board comes in. Its an add-in module to the MS (or MS2, your choice) that accepts a single trigger input and fires all 8 coils.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

would you like a helping hand? I'm willing to do whatever it is that i can do to help. I need a solution for this camaro, might even do this to my car when i add on boost
Old 10-31-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you trying to make the solution sequential fire? Just want to know, im fine both ways.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sequential fire, yes. Sequential fuel, no.

However -- I've been talking with the lead guys for the MS project, and they're working on the "next generation" unit that will have both. No ETA of course.

As for help on mine, I'll post up when I have a box running so folks can do independant testing. Until then, its just me and my computer
Old 10-31-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol of course on the fire. meant fuel.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

just saw this...

We're waiting on an order from Jameco to show up... I'm assembling the flash programmer (it uses a parallel port on the laptop) and our software guy is working on it also.

My goal is to have it working on jim's truck by the end of this week. Well, my goal was actually to have it working last week, but Brains pointed out a problem with our first idea... and we needed to start over.

It's similar to an LTCC module (for optispark) with more input capabilities. It'll be a small board that fits inside the MS case, with an extra 8 wires going out to the coilpack harness under the hood. I haven't even looked into sourcing the connectors yet...

-scott
Old 11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Diesel - rename it and sell it with a connector(s) to the stock harness(close to the stock computer as possible) and make some cash. That would be an ideal solution if the stock guage cluster could be made to work, hmmm. alright well keep up the good work. Ill mooch off yall when yall are done. But if you need any testers id be willing.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

any progress yet? I'm about to order my MS I'm just waiting to see if you guys can come up with a solution.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've stopped all work on mine, and refocused my efforts on this site's performance (specifically re-coding the software to work on a postgresql backend) I'll start back up when possible.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Launching!

LOL

my software guy really just got started. Hope to test on a motor soon... he a contractor that works for me at my day job, and we had a project go 30+ days later than anticipated...

There is a company that is preparing to market s nicely done, professionally designed device to do the exact same thing we're working on. Sit tight for a few weeks...

You can always do an EDIS system in the interim. It's pretty easy and very stable/reliable.

-scott
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

scott?? dieselgeek??

... anyway, I left off at the point I had it decoding the GM crank trigger directly (ie. all four 90 degree sections, along with the 24x signal -- just like GM does) and resetting cycle position from the cam sensor. The only part I had left was to grab the MS fire! signal and sync it up. If I stuck a timing table in my box right now, it would be the equivelant to the MSD box sold with the Edelbrock intake.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

In the interm I ordered my stimulator so I'll spend the next few weeks gluein that together. I know you guys do this stuff for fun But thanks for sharing! It's because of guys like you (the support of the MS community) that made me decide to with a mega spark. ( That I will learn alot more about the inner workings of an EFI system isent bad eather)
Old 12-07-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, good work brains, this is starting to look like a viable option now.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw the site performance.
its fast enough for now.
prioritys get spark working first then you can make the site faster, or do both now and dont sleep

dont know why some many people complaining bout the site speed, sure it slows down when a million members gets on but its still faster then most boards i vist