Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed Asap!

Old 10-30-2005, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed Asap!

This is on my '00 Corvette

Ok, my heads & cam install was going pretty smooth until I tried to take the cam out without using something to hold the lifters up . A lifter fell, & sounded like it hit the oil pan, no problem right, nope, dropped the oil pan, but seems it got stuck behind the windage tray, which as you know, is behind the second oil pan. Using a magnet didn't work, so I thought I would remove the lifter holder (my heads were already off), to see if I could see it. Well, the other 3 lifters fell at that point, DAMN IT!! Ok, don't panic, yeah right. Well in order to remove the oil pan to get to the windage tray, you have to lift the motor up a bit, or so I thought. So I remove the bottom bolts for the motor mounts, & jack it up a bit, of course, the pan still won't drop. So I thought I would just drop the craddle, which I did. Ok, got the oil pan out, windage tray out, & recovered all the lifters. Now here's the next problem. As I was lifting the craddle back up into position, everything was lined up fine except for the drivers side motor mount bolt. SO now I've got everything in it's proper hole except the ds motor mount bolt. Cake right, just jack the motor up some more, line it up, & drop into place, wrong, I go to lift the motor up, & it lifts the whole car off the jack stands!! It almost seems that the motor is tweaked of center a bit from being lifted. But the passenger side mount lined up. Maybe it's the cradle, but all mounting bolts for it lined up, only the drivers side motor mount hole is off. After a while of wrestling with it, I called it a night.

Little help guys, i'm in need.

-Tucker

PS: I know all of this could have been avioded if I had used some dowells to hold the lifters up, what can I say, I'm a dumba$$.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

drop thr cradle and make sure the eng. is aligned when lifting cradle. get some one to help you on this. no problem,just take it slowand throw this in the "what to do before list". all is fine.

fuerzaws6
Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck, you made my cam install I screwed up a month ago not sound so bad, thanx for making me feel better .
Old 10-30-2005, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSDoubleK
Good luck, you made my cam install I screwed up a month ago not sound so bad, thanx for making me feel better .
No problem bro, I aim to please.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:15 AM

I just did a motor swap to an LS2 402 on a friends Z and we had issues linning up the new poly motor mounts.

Do you have the mount in 2 pieces?
* one on the K-member & one on the motor?
It might be easier to do it that way and use a pry bar to line it up with a friend.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Launching!

I don't have any specific advice for ya, other than to say "you had the heads off and you didn't remove the lifters!?! Why not?" The only reason to worry about holding the lifters up w/ pen magnets / sliding rods into the block is if you are doing the cam swap w/ the heads on.

It sounds like maybe the motor mount studs are hanging on the holes in the subframe (?)

A word of caution. Please be careful with this whole "motor unbolted from the subframe" business.. You could easily screw up your firewall w/ the back of the motor.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Not trying to add "salt to the wound", but I'm curious to know why you didn't just spend 30 seconds and pull the lifters out. You had the heads off and 30 seconds would have saved you a BIG headache. Sorry about your mis-fortune though, I'd be pretty bummed.

ps. Great time to do poly motor mounts if you havent already.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 10-30-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Got it back together guys, thanks. I'm an idiot.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

O.K., but you still didn't answer my question. Why didn't you take out the lifters? Glad it's back together.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
O.K., but you still didn't answer my question. Why didn't you take out the lifters? Glad it's back together.

The second sentence in my previous post with answer your question. I was dropped as a baby.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 PM

Glad to hear you got it back together.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Redneck Z

Not trying to add "salt to the wound", but I'm curious to know why you didn't just spend 30 seconds and pull the lifters out. You had the heads off and 30 seconds would have saved you a BIG headache. Sorry about your mis-fortune though, I'd be pretty bummed.

ps. Great time to do poly motor mounts if you havent already.
Im with this guy
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Launching!

BTW i know if you dont replace the lifter they have go back in exactly were you took them out.

Im still in shock why you didnt pull them out...

P.s i was dropped alot to man, Lol....But i still pulled mine out
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Well guys, we got it back together last night, & she fired right up. Unfortunately, I'm getting no oil pressure. I guess I'll start with the easy stuff first, & replace the oil pressure sending unit, & go from there. It could be any # of things, o-ring, pickup tube blockage, oil pump.... Is there a way to check for oil pressure without damaging the motor?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Take one of your valve covers off and see if oil has been pumped up to the rockers.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jub jub
Take one of your valve covers off and see if oil has been pumped up to the rockers.
I would, but I put a small amount of oil in there before I put the covers back on, to help with the initial start up.

Search this Thread