New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1s worth anything in the future?

Old 10-30-2005, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1s worth anything in the future?

You guys think LS1 f-bodys will be worth anything in the future? WIll they end up the 3rd gen and lessen in value and can buy them for dime a dozen. I hate 5.0 mustangs but they seem to be still cool and halfway fast even 15 years old and still worth something unlike the 80's camaro. Im asking because i just spent $18500 on a 2000 SLP SS in mint condition with 11,000 miles and wondering if i shouldve saved about $10000 and just bought a Z28 with high miles thats not as nice.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Mmmm. Well, I think the third gens, along with your forth are bound to come up in price.... Its gonna happen to every car that's out there sooner or later. It could take 40 or 50 years, but if you plan on keeping your car, that's cool....

BTW, I would highly discourage buying a car to sell it..
Old 10-30-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

It wont be worth much untill maybe 20 yrs. if you don't drive it. If you do drive it, maybe 40yrs. from now? The fox bodies seem to have leveled off in the past 2-3 yrs, a clean stock 5.0 around here will sell for 5-7k....in the next 10 yrs. I would expect the price to slowly go up. You've got to consider, these cars are up to 28 yrs. old. and are rivaled by few in overall popularity.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my car for 5K with 138K .My car is in great shape, So i belive lt1s are starting to be the "new" fox body
Old 10-30-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

NICE 3rd gen TPI cars are starting to command a premium. I've seen the prices go up on them over the past few years. I also wouldn't say the 3rd gen cars are junk. Yes a lot of them are ragged out, but that happens with all old cars. I'd take one any day of the week over an ugly *** fox body, even if it was slower. They have a timeless style in my book.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

they might be worth something yrs. from now but dont expect to make any money off one.

cars are for fun not investments.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

cars are not going to become classics anymore. unless it is extremely rare, chances are your car probably won't ever go up in value, certainly not enough to make it worth while. don't forget that we will have exhausted our oil reserves in about 55 years....driving an LS1 will be so expensive no one will want one.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 PM

Man the pessimism and negativity here is enough to split a watermelon!! All these N-E-G-A-H-O-L-I-C-S. I would say yes they will be worth something. They'll be worth what someone will pay for it. The LS1 cars will appreciate in value too. They're fast ******' cars, it's just like it is and always is. People can't wait to trick the snot of these when they're new. They put alot into it $$$$$, and then some. Then they go back the opposite direction a decade or two later when they're rediscovered. Drive your cars and enjoy them. Collectors are after the car, and they don't care how they get it.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iwantanls1
cars are not going to become classics anymore. unless it is extremely rare, chances are your car probably won't ever go up in value, certainly not enough to make it worth while. don't forget that we will have exhausted our oil reserves in about 55 years....driving an LS1 will be so expensive no one will want one.
That's the same sentiment people had about muscle cars back in the 1970's.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

I would not count on it.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sawedoff
Man the pessimism and negativity here is enough to split a watermelon!! All these N-E-G-A-H-O-L-I-C-S. I would say yes they will be worth something. They'll be worth what someone will pay for it. The LS1 cars will appreciate in value too. They're fast ******' cars, it's just like it is and always is. People can't wait to trick the snot of these when they're new. They put alot into it $$$$$, and then some. Then they go back the opposite direction a decade or two later when they're rediscovered. Drive your cars and enjoy them. Collectors are after the car, and they don't care how they get it.
"my gf and mother call me a pessimist but i just call myself a realist."

to the point...yes these cars are fast....right now anyway...but what about in 10 years when were probably gonna havea 270hp minvan? i mean, the charger, especially the srt-8, will give these things a run for the money. they wont win, but by god they dont get stomped either. the reason the 60's cars became worth something was because of all the new restrictions that came in the 70's and 80's. so therefore all the older cars were faster because they didnt have all the extra emissions BS on them. were through that now. these engines are so efficient (and comparitively cleaner)its not even funny. and theyre only getting more efficient. the new mustang stock wont beat one, but with a little work it will. what about when the GT500 comes out. the new vette, the z06, the srt8, the ford GT? all these cars are close to as fast or faster than an LS1. im sorry, i know its fast now, but look at computers. in 97 250 megahertz was flying...now were at 3.8 gigs is fast? i mean, its all relative to the times. i think due to their style they MIGHT (Note:slim chance on might) go back up sometime due to their styling thats just not around anymore. but no ones gonna buy it for the ungodly amount of money theyre paying for hemi cuda's, or 427 vettes or yenko's now adays. theres too many fbods, and theyre not that overly extraordinary that theyre going to still be faster than cars 25 years down the road. sorry for the book but thats my opinion.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bobby5
You guys think LS1 f-bodys will be worth anything in the future? WIll they end up the 3rd gen and lessen in value and can buy them for dime a dozen. I hate 5.0 mustangs but they seem to be still cool and halfway fast even 15 years old and still worth something unlike the 80's camaro. Im asking because i just spent $18500 on a 2000 SLP SS in mint condition with 11,000 miles and wondering if i shouldve saved about $10000 and just bought a Z28 with high miles thats not as nice.
i know your boat. i bought my car in sig in april of this year for 16,5. it had 10,452 miles on it. immaculant. BTW...what color is your car?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My crystal ball reads something like this:

Insurance rates, gas prices, and government regulation will kill the horsepower wars we have going on now.

I bet money that the governement mandates all cars must get at least 40mpg within the next 10 or 15 years. To reduce our dependence on foriegn oil. China is just going to keep on consuming more and more oil, and the price will become very steep. Horsepower is going to go to ****. Everybody will drive 3 cylinder Geo Metros. The American auto industry, using its current model of selling more trucks and SUVs, will completely collapse and what's left will be auctioned off to foriegn companies.

How can cars like the Camaro and Trans Am not become collectable?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bobby5
Im asking because i just spent $18500 on a 2000 SLP SS in mint condition with 11,000 miles and wondering if i shouldve saved about $10000 and just bought a Z28 with high miles thats not as nice.
Yes, you should have spent half the money for a high miles car. Sorry. :/
Old 10-31-2005, 12:54 AM
Launching!

First and foremost, cars are horrible investments in my opinion. However, I honestly feel that 4th F-bodies will be of value in the future. Consider this: There were many more 1st F-bodies produced than 4th gens. Looking at the price of 1st gens 30 years later, I think it's safe to say that over the next 30+ years, our cars will increase in value similarly.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Resident

Extremely rare like my 99 eh? I wish i wouldnt have the desire to have better all the time!? It would be too easy to just keep it!

I need to have something new as i get bored with "old" things. How will i ever get married? How will i ultimately be satisfied? I think i need a shrink!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AronZ28
My crystal ball reads something like this:

Insurance rates, gas prices, and government regulation will kill the horsepower wars we have going on now.

I bet money that the governement mandates all cars must get at least 40mpg within the next 10 or 15 years. To reduce our dependence on foriegn oil. China is just going to keep on consuming more and more oil, and the price will become very steep. Horsepower is going to go to ****. Everybody will drive 3 cylinder Geo Metros. The American auto industry, using its current model of selling more trucks and SUVs, will completely collapse and what's left will be auctioned off to foriegn companies.

How can cars like the Camaro and Trans Am not become collectable?

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe geo metro's are still in production. Regardless, I'm a little confused.....are you asking why cars that suck down gas and have high insurance rates aren't going to be collectables? Didn't you answer your own question? In 10-15 years gas is going to be so expensive there is going to be no point in owning these cars. And don't underestimate the power some of these fuel efficient cars are putting out, its damn respectable.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:38 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say with the Firebird being dead now, there's a good chance one of my cars will be worth something one day. Can't get a lot more rare, that's for sure.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 AM
Board Certified Idiot

ok CALL ME silly but i may have missed what i will say.. i think the REASON the cars BACK then 60 & 70's are worth what they are to day caz they was the 1st cars LIKE that and 2nd look at the production #### that is the MAIN KEY vry FEW compard today
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

personally, i think the ls1 fbodies will go up in value substantually in about 20 years

lt1 4th gens might just because they didnt make thme long, i dont see third gends going up very high tho, they are waaay to plentiful, and all around were not very pretty cars, looks or performance wise.....at least not without alot of work, ive seen a couple smokin' fast third gens.

Search this Thread