Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub went out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub went out?

Over the weekend My sub suddenly stopped working and then came back on randomly a few times and when it did come back on it worked/souded perfect. The amp light and fuses seem to be fine. I am wondering if this could have something to do with the Head Unit? Is there a way to isolate the problem/fix it?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:34 AM
11 Second Club

Check for any pinched wires or bad grounds going to the amp.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

When it went out, had you been jamming on it for a while? Was the amp pretty hot to the touch? Maybe it's thermal protection circuit kicked in. Otherwise, I would check all your wiring- make sure all your connections are solid, and there are no pinches or wires grounding to the metal of the car. The last thing I would check are the tinsel leads on the speaker (braided leads going from the cone of the speaker to the push-terminals). Lastly, I would check your speaker's voicecoil continuity by connecting a multimeter to it's terminal, setting it to continuity test (meter sounds a tone when leads are touched together) then lightly move the cone in and out while the meter is hooked up to it. You should hear nothing but a solid tone. If the tone goes out anywhere throughout the travel of the cone, your speaker is done. So to re-cap, your problem lies in one of three areas, Amp cutting out (probably due to protection mode), Intermittent wiring connection, or bad speaker.
Hope this helps-
Old 10-31-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Snootch
When it went out, had you been jamming on it for a while? Was the amp pretty hot to the touch? Maybe it's thermal protection circuit kicked in. Otherwise, I would check all your wiring- make sure all your connections are solid, and there are no pinches or wires grounding to the metal of the car. The last thing I would check are the tinsel leads on the speaker (braided leads going from the cone of the speaker to the push-terminals). Lastly, I would check your speaker's voicecoil continuity by connecting a multimeter to it's terminal, setting it to continuity test (meter sounds a tone when leads are touched together) then lightly move the cone in and out while the meter is hooked up to it. You should hear nothing but a solid tone. If the tone goes out anywhere throughout the travel of the cone, your speaker is done. So to re-cap, your problem lies in one of three areas, Amp cutting out (probably due to protection mode), Intermittent wiring connection, or bad speaker.
Hope this helps-
I had just turned the car on when this happend so that would rule out thermal protection. And the voice coil is fine. So i would have to guess this is a loose / bad wire somewhere. I just don't know where. I'll check it out
Old 11-03-2005, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Correction. I had been driving for 3 hrs when it went out for the first time, then it came back on for a day then i started it up the next day and it was gone for good. I checked the connections and they all appear to be good not 100% though. What i did do last night was disconect the sub leads and hook them up to on of my 6.5" and the 6.5 went crazy so I am getting power! The sub just isn't working...is this a good test? Im guessing the broken sub is just trying to draw so much power b/c it is broke that my lights started dimming. The silver braded lines on the sub are fine. How do i check if the voice coil is shot? There is NO sound coming out of the sub at all! Thanks!