Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's the benefit's to a poly tranny mount ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the benefit's to a poly tranny mount ?

Hi there what is the benefit to a poly urathane transmission mount over the stock ?
I had one on my 1994 A4 and just felt like it put the power to the floor better and i stopped breaking them. Do you guys run these mount's ?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just tried an Energy Suspension mount and I could not stand the noise inside the car. Sounded like a diesel truck! Went back to the stocker.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The consensus around here is that the stocker is quiet, but a piece of crap and the poly mount is noisy, but well made.
The 1LE mount was preferred by quite a few people, but it isn't available any more. We need someone to make a higher durometer rubber mount for us performance guys.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I just tried an Energy Suspension mount and I could not stand the noise inside the car. Sounded like a diesel truck! Went back to the stocker.

How long was it in the car? You sure you installed it correctly? Many times people listen too much, and dont give the car time to settle in. Mine was a little loud at first, but quieted down. I think it was more i just got used to it, but it's worth it in my eyes for the more direct feel it gives. I am a little biased though, as all rear components are poly, and i am running poly tranny/TA/motor mounts a well
Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
The consensus around here is that the stocker is quiet, but a piece of crap and the poly mount is noisy, but well made.
The 1LE mount was preferred by quite a few people, but it isn't available any more. We need someone to make a higher durometer rubber mount for us performance guys.
Does anyone know if the Moog replacement is higher durometer than the stocker??
Old 11-01-2005, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Default how much does a tranny mount for a M6 cost and where can i get it?

how much does a tranny mount for a M6 cost and where can i get it? after i installed my spec stage 3, i broke it, lol
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

How is it a better feel ? What will you notice as a difference with the cars overall performance ?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
How long was it in the car? You sure you installed it correctly? Many times people listen too much, and dont give the car time to settle in. Mine was a little loud at first, but quieted down. I think it was more i just got used to it, but it's worth it in my eyes for the more direct feel it gives. I am a little biased though, as all rear components are poly, and i am running poly tranny/TA/motor mounts a well
I torqued the 2 bolts on the mount to the tranny to 34 ft lbs, the main bolt to 77 and the cross member to 43, so that was all good. I pointed the protrusion on the urethane to the rear of the car per the instructions. Nothing was bound up when I tightened the bolts. I did not drive it for more than 20 miles because it was just TOO DARN LOUD. It wasn't even a good sound, it really did sound like a diesel truck. The straw was when I got on it, the car ran like crap from pulling timing out of it I'm sure from the noise. I put the stocker back in and the car is running great again. Sorry, maybe I got a bad mount, maybe the difference in the height (the ES was taller) pushed the engine up where something was hitting and I didn't notice it. Whatever it was, I HATED it!
Old 11-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by glennhl
I torqued the 2 bolts on the mount to the tranny to 34 ft lbs, the main bolt to 77 and the cross member to 43, so that was all good. I pointed the protrusion on the urethane to the rear of the car per the instructions. Nothing was bound up when I tightened the bolts. I did not drive it for more than 20 miles because it was just TOO DARN LOUD. It wasn't even a good sound, it really did sound like a diesel truck. The straw was when I got on it, the car ran like crap from pulling timing out of it I'm sure from the noise. I put the stocker back in and the car is running great again. Sorry, maybe I got a bad mount, maybe the difference in the height (the ES was taller) pushed the engine up where something was hitting and I didn't notice it. Whatever it was, I HATED it!
Did you modify your ES bushing by griding off the bumps? Install with or without preload plate? I just purchased one of their bushings for myself and going to have it installed next week when my mechanic rips into my clutch system (again)...found a great thread by JasonWW that talks about modifying the bushing...barely an increase in noise for him. Not to say it works that way for everyone but I've seen where a few more people have done that. I'm going to try it for myself anway.

The thread I spoke of if anyone's interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/364694-poly-transmission-mount-tips-impressions.html
Old 11-02-2005, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I purchased part # BK 6201543 from NAPA for $14.95 and it is working great. Had a poly mount for a year and it never got any better on the vibration and noise. This was on a 99 Trans Am with M-6.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Does anyone know if the Moog replacement is higher durometer than the stocker??
Where can you get the Moog replacement one?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rush7
Did you modify your ES bushing by griding off the bumps? Install with or without preload plate? I just purchased one of their bushings for myself and going to have it installed next week when my mechanic rips into my clutch system (again)...found a great thread by JasonWW that talks about modifying the bushing...barely an increase in noise for him. Not to say it works that way for everyone but I've seen where a few more people have done that. I'm going to try it for myself anway.

The thread I spoke of if anyone's interested: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364694
Yes, I ground down the bumps, but I did not leave off the plate. I just think the thing is way too stiff and does not attenuate any noise whatsoever.