Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPT Noob ques / Chevelle LQ9 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default HPT Noob ques / Chevelle LQ9 Conversion

I emailed this to HPTuners but figured some of the experts over here could probably chime in as well since they‘re probably all going to be at the SEMA show this week and won‘t hear back right away (can anyone hook up pass to SEMA for me, I‘m in Vegas!). It’ll probably be helpful for others doing what I am as well:

"I'm interested in your tuning software/hardware for a 6.0L LQ9 / 4L80E combo that I am putting into a 72 chevelle. When I purchased the engine I was not given an VIN information or the year of the vehicle it came out of although it has Electronic Throttle Control. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need the VIN / year information to order your product or does it obtain this info the first time you scan the PCM?

2. If so how do I obtain this information from the PCM?

3. Will I be able to program this combination since an LQ9 did not come stock with a 4L80 transmission until recently in the Silverado SS (2wd version, I believe)?

4. The current engine harness is set up for Electronic Throttle Control. Can I switch to a cable actuated throttle body with IAC using your software?"

Max
Old 11-01-2005, 04:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've hooked my hp tuners to other vehicles and it has told me what they are(vehicle and year) even though i don't have a license for them. so worse case scenario you could complete your wiring and have a buddy with hp tuners tell you what year and model pcm you have then place your order.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3racer has a great idea for figuring out the specifics of your setup (VIN). As for the rest, I can offer some insight, as I am involved with a conversion currently that is very similar to yours.

1. Do I need the VIN / year information to order your product or does it obtain this info the first time you scan the PCM?
Yes!

2. If so how do I obtain this information from the PCM?
You can have some one scan the ECM and it will tell you all of that. If they have support for that vehicle, they can even start getting you ready for the transplant. If you have a buddy with an F-Body (Camaro/Firebird), ask if you can temporarily swap ECM, so you can have your's scanned. It only takes about a minute to swap on an F-Body, that is why I suggested that.

3. Will I be able to program this combination since an LQ9 did not come stock with a 4L80 transmission until recently in the Silverado SS (2wd version, I believe)?
Yes! You can go about it two ways. Either start with an LQ4 and 4L80E setup and copy the LQ9 specs over ... Or start with an LQ9 setup and transfer the trans settings over.

4. The current engine harness is set up for Electronic Throttle Control. Can I switch to a cable actuated throttle body with IAC using your software?"
Yes! That can easily be achieved.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I had friends like you guys! Unfortunately none of my friends (all two of them) are into what I am into. With that said is there another way to pull the vin information? I was thinking about pulling an OBDII port from a parts car and hooking it up to the PCM and a power source and a cheap scanner but this would be a pretty big pain. Is this something that I could do at the dealership without them looking at me like I'm a moron and trying to charge me $80? I can't wait to get this thing wired up!
Old 11-02-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if you know someone at the dealer ship, they should be able to help. They would need to have it installed in a vehicle or have a bench setup to turn the ECM on and access the OBD-II port. They can use Tech-II to find out for you. Where do you live out of curiosity?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm in Las Vegas, NV - wish I could go to SEMA dammit. I don't know anyone at a dealership either unfortunately, but I guess I could try that as a last resort. I'm just about sold on HPT, just have to finish reading the help file!

Max