Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hard Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running Hard Lines

I am thinking of running hard lines from the bottle in the fender to the engine compartment and couldn’t find any info after trying the search. The plan is to have braided stainless lines at each end of the hard line to make for easy connecting/disconnecting. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on doing this?

the reason for wanting to do this is that I have gone through 2 braided lines in just as many weeks. the 1st one had a pin-hole leak after being fine for about 8 months and the 2nd was the recent replacement which came from behind a heat shield and ended up getting fucked up by my headers. I think it be a much cleaner setup and possibly make for a fun project.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Restricted User

I havent seen anyone doing it either, but I would like to run a -6 or -8 hard line as well. GL,

Charlie
Old 11-01-2005, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

i haven't heard anyone do it either. getting it seal and not leak is something that I could see as being a problem but it might not be if you get the right fittings. gl
Old 11-01-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
I am thinking of running hard lines from the bottle in the fender to the engine compartment and couldn’t find any info after trying the search. The plan is to have braided stainless lines at each end of the hard line to make for easy connecting/disconnecting. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on doing this?

the reason for wanting to do this is that I have gone through 2 braided lines in just as many weeks. the 1st one had a pin-hole leak after being fine for about 8 months and the 2nd was the recent replacement which came from behind a heat shield and ended up getting fucked up by my headers. I think it be a much cleaner setup and possibly make for a fun project.
There is no reason why you couldent do it.. Its not common just because hard line can be a major pain in the *** to bend just right, especially 4 that kind of distance.. I would reccomend using the 1/4 / .250 stainless for up to 250hp and 3/8 for up to 600hp.. The down side to using the SS is it really needs to have some sort of hose to thermally insulate it.. Also only use the correct size line for the hp you are going to run.. Ie dont use 1/2inch for 100hp, unless you want to waste alot of nitrous being traped in the line when your done.. Nothing wrong with the idea though, David@TNT..
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

If you have access to purchase the OEM fuel hardline, and it is seamless... That would take a huge amount of the bending out.. Just lay it side by side and cut off what you do not want.. Flare the end connect your soft stuff and your good to go...
Good luck
Ricky
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the responses guys. Keep them coming.

The thought of using the fuel line is a great idea and i would have never thought of having to insulate the hose.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
Thanks for the responses guys. Keep them coming.

The thought of using the fuel line is a great idea and i would have never thought of having to insulate the hose.
The small HP shot under 200 you more than likely willnot see any difference, except the line dripping a little water.... David was correct in that hole insulating comment.. You could take some thermal sleeve or shrink tubing and cover it.
Ricky
Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

i have always used hard brake line you can get from almost any auto store. the size i beleive is 3/16 but not sure. The correct size will go into a compression fitting ,on the to soleniod and the side that comes with an inverted flare with a nos sleeve and a sleeve nut for the other end. With this it will screw right on to the nozzle with a jet in it. I know I probably didnt explian this very well but just try it out. It works ive used it on about 5 hidden kits.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTFORMULA
i have always used hard brake line you can get from almost any auto store. the size i beleive is 3/16 but not sure. The correct size will go into a compression fitting ,on the to soleniod and the side that comes with an inverted flare with a nos sleeve and a sleeve nut for the other end. With this it will screw right on to the nozzle with a jet in it. I know I probably didnt explian this very well but just try it out. It works ive used it on about 5 hidden kits.
You are correct, but he is wanting to replace the bottle line that feeds the sol with hard line..
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Restricted User

I didnt think about the insulating part, which is DUH to me since I currently run the NX Triple Black Insulated -4 line. I thought of using a refill valve on the bottle end of the line, so during bottle swaps, and such I dont have to waste any lbs or pressure. Now, need to find a 3/8" SS Insulated tubing...