Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lockup speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lockup speed

Hey I got a question, I just installed a fuddle 3400, what should the lockup be in od right now it locks up around around 43 to 44mph, is that where it should be, or should I have it changed. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, Locks up between 40 & 45. This Winter am installing a B&M lock up controller so I can have control over when the converter locks. Can set it to lock from 30 up to 90 MPH.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Default lockup speed

I just took it out and drove it some more, lockup speed for 3rd is about 35 does that sound pretty normal? This may sound like a stupid question, but when you give it some gas while locked up at real low speeds, and the converter does not unlock it makes kind of a shuttering sound like when you go off the road. I was thinking that because it is not allowing the engine to rev up much, it is casuing it to lug and make that vibration sound. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think mine's ever shuddered before... Usually when it's locked up at low speeds and you give it some gas, it just unlocks again...
The mph that it locks up depends on how you are driving, and if you are barely pressing the gas, it would be possible to lock up at 35.
When driving normally, like not being too easy on the gas, it will lock up around 45mph.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steady part throttle mine locks at 38 MPH (in OD) as soon as ECT reaches 142 deg on Predator from cold. No shudder ever. Double and triple check your fluid level just to be sure - a shop installed mine and took me a couple days to get it just right.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ricehater2000
I just took it out and drove it some more, lockup speed for 3rd is about 35 does that sound pretty normal? This may sound like a stupid question, but when you give it some gas while locked up at real low speeds, and the converter does not unlock it makes kind of a shuttering sound like when you go off the road. I was thinking that because it is not allowing the engine to rev up much, it is casuing it to lug and make that vibration sound. Any advice would be appreciated.

John (Fuddle) explained the shudder to me after my install. Sorry, can't remenber exactly what he said, but, it had something to do with pressure &/or shift speed. Also said that it is not damaging. Call him, he can explain it better. I haven't had it since installing the wake up kit. Wake up kit is an intermediate servo, OD servo, & boost valve. Basically increased pressure & area of the surface where pressure is applied.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At very low loads and RPM (which is where you would
be locking at low MPH) the PCM gives the trans very
little line pressure to work with, the TCC gets even less,
and you can have a fingernails*chalkboard situation
(exactly the right pressure and you get some real fun).
Doesn't hurt the chalkboard or the fingnernails any, but
it's worth adjusting the TCC minimum duty up, most
most likely.

With 3.42s I upshift at 37 minimum and lock at 40 min.
You want to keep them from stepping on each other.
The stock program is pretty good about that. Once
you start sliding shift points and lockup around it can
turn into a hobby.