Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam instalation help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam instalation help

i have purchased a Mti C2 224/224 .571/.571 112. i am planning on installing it at the base auto hobby shop and i have read the cam sticky and install guide several times but i keep hearing about how people are not lining the two dots up exactly or not in the right sequence like the compression stroke, how do you tell if you have it right for sure? and how hard is it to install? i would appreciate any helpful hints and ideas for this install as it will the first major mod i will do myself. also i called a shop in anoka and they said to install the cam they would tear the motor down and take the oil pan off just to put the cam and springs in is this normal also?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jester177
i have purchased a Mti C2 224/224 .571/.571 112. i am planning on installing it at the base auto hobby shop and i have read the cam sticky and install guide several times but i keep hearing about how people are not lining the two dots up exactly or not in the right sequence like the compression stroke, how do you tell if you have it right for sure? and how hard is it to install? i would appreciate any helpful hints and ideas for this install as it will the first major mod i will do myself. also i called a shop in anoka and they said to install the cam they would tear the motor down and take the oil pan off just to put the cam and springs in is this normal also?
It's going to take a few days.

Lining up the dots take about 30 seconds. But it's just VERY important that it's done right. Very easy, but if you mess up (kabloooiieee).

I took the whole motor apart to do heads/cam. The cam is the LAST thing to come out, and the first thing to put back in. My oil pan came off to replace the timing chain (a good idea for $35). Then we cracked the oil pan because we put the timing cover back on first. $180 mistake.

I did it with a mechanic friend. It's quite a bit more involved than my header install. A bit difficult remembering exactly which bolts go where, and which wires connect how, especially if you've never done it before.

I was left with a block, and that's about it after everything came off. You need to be confident that you can correctly assemble the entire engine yourself. It was fine with someone who knows engines. But I wouldn't have done it myself.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Launching!

thanks for the advice. i will be using the hobby shop and have the staff mechanics there for help along with my cousine who has done it on other vehicles i was just getting worried about getting the dots to line up exactly right
Old 11-01-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would not worry the dots, it is not hard to tell if you are off. just make sure you have a good valve spring tool.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:49 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You just don't want to be more than a tooth off. So If you look at it (as head on as possible) and they look lined up...Chances are in your favor that they probably are actually lined up.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

dont rely on the mechanics there at the hobby shop its actually pretty simple. Remembering where the bolts go is pretty simple.... well for me atleast. After you think you have the dots lined up, spin the crank to make sure! also, remember to remove the rockers before trying to spin the cam i felt pretty stupid valvespring tool is key as well as the order you install them to keep the valves from dropping. (sounds worse than it is) dont get discouraged. just be careful about it and you should be fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Read this if you haven't already. It's not that hard and if the dots are lined up, the crank and cam are timed properly.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 11-01-2005, 07:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And remember...Take your time!