Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill mod necessary for '01 / '02 hydraulics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drill mod necessary for '01 / '02 hydraulics?

Like the title said. I read somewhere on here that GM did away with the restriction in the clutch Hydraulic line in '01 ??
What I'm getting at, is I just bought a new clutch MC & hydraulic line & slave cyl. a few months ago. if the later model hydraulics (which is what GM sells now as replacement for the earlier years) don't have the restriction in the line, then I would NOT need to do the drill mod, then correct or not??
Or does drill mod apply to ANY year LS1 hyd. ?
I hate to pull the MC to do the drill mod only to find I don't need to !
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is no restriction, then no you do not have to do the drill mod.
There is a little controversy about whether or not GM did away with the restriction on the 01/02 hydraulics, some say yes, some say no, best thing to do is look in the line for the restriction, since you're buying it new it should be easy to do.
Please come back and post the results, I and probably several others with 01/02 cars want to know
Old 11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
If there is no restriction, then no you do not have to do the drill mod.
There is a little controversy about whether or not GM did away with the restriction on the 01/02 hydraulics, some say yes, some say no, best thing to do is look in the line for the restriction, since you're buying it new it should be easy to do.
Please come back and post the results, I and probably several others with 01/02 cars want to know
Uh, well I didn't say I'm buying it new, I said I bought it new a few months ago. The Hydraulics are already on the car. I didn't know about the drill mod at the time I changed it all out.
There's got to be a way to find out if it is fact or not that after '01 the restriction was removed. Nobody knows for sure ??
Old 11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

yes you need to do the drill mod, I just bought a new one today for an 03z06, I needed to drill it.... only took about 10min. to do once its out.... seems like a mod thats worth doing, if it slows down the fluid from a clutch release while your at high rev's it'll slip the clutch... not good...
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 02 had the restriction in the line. I've seen on here that many other 01+ owners performing the DM. I would say that it's probably the same on all. After doing the DM I noticed the clutch engaged a little faster than before. Was most noticeable during the 6400rpm 1-4 shifts.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

so what was the 'hydraulic upgrade' in 01-02?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an '01, and had the restriction as well. Did the drill mod, and the clutch engages much faster. I think the hydraulic upgrade was just the slave cylinder, but I've never checked the part #'s on the master.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
so what was the 'hydraulic upgrade' in 01-02?

The upgrade is the slave cylinder..... If you stomp on the gas and have trouble between 2 & 3 or 3 & 4 you probably need to do the drill mod. I put on a mcleod adjustable master, 01-02 slave and the drill mod and shifts are much smoother at high revs....