Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Neo Changer - best CDR's?

Old 11-01-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neo Changer - best CDR's?

Hi all,

I have a Neo changer cd/mp3 changer in my trunk. If you are not familiar with this unit, it comes with a bunch of wiring harnesses that allow you to hook it up like the factory unit.

The problem is, I can't seem to find the best CDR's to use. The thing plays store bought CD's like a champ, but I'm having some real problems with copied CD's.

MP3 disc's are a mess, they barely play and it takes so long to read them sometimes I don't use them anymore.

Conventional style burned CD (wavs) play much better, but are still spotty.

I've tried using Fuji, Ritek, and Memorex CD's. Anyone got any tips?

Help?
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

One thing you want to do is burn the CDRs at 8x-12x rather than the top speed of your recorder. This will make more of a difference than switching brands of discs.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

x2. Reading Magasines like Maximum PC and others, they suggest doing what WhiteBird00 said. Seems to work about 98% of the time.

Other than that? I'm not too sure. I don't burn too many CD's anymore, but I think someone said Memorex is one of the better brands to use.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've tried down to single speed burns on Pioneer burners (typically regarded as some of the best). No luck really.

I once had an old Alpine head unit that would ONLY read Fuji CDR's. I'm thinking this may be the same amount of picky. Just need to figure it out...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the neo changer is not known for its quality. If you do some searching, you will see that they dont read burned cd's proplerly. You are lucky that it even works, i have installed a few, that wouldnt even work in customers cars
Old 11-04-2005, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks. I wonder if I can just take it back to Target. Ordered it from target.com, quite awhile ago.

Is target like wallyworld? Walk in a reciept and intent and they take it back? Cuz if so the money will just go to a aux input adapter and a ipod or something.

It's in a vert so I want to keep the factory h/u.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

i had one of those in my last ta for mp3 ability, it worked...ok i wasnt to thrilled with it, now i just use the stock 12 disc in my new car, eventually il throw an aux on there as well (01 radio) and get my mp3's that way
Old 11-04-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well target seems to have agreed to take it back (totally awesome).

Cephiros, did yours actually work? Mine is really, really terrible about MP3's. I even went back and encoded them at 128bps constant bit rate, burned onto a Fuji Japan CDR at 1x speed.

Even when I do that, it sometimes takes FOREVER to start playing the MP3, sometimes randomly stops, sometimes jumps from song to song, sometimes sounds all garbled. And there are some I burn that it just will not play no matter how long I try.

The fact that it loads and plays CD's though, makes me think that this is just the nature of the beast and mine is not actually defective. However I'd be really tempted to try another if they actually CAN work as intended.

So, did yours really work?

The AUX adapter and an ipod will come out about the same cost. But I really liked the changer...
Old 11-04-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

well mp3's work decent if they are CBR and encoded within the given birate range (dont remeber it..i think 160 was max) wandom didnt work at all which blew, mp3's when switching disc's takes forever but so did cd's, mp3's overall played fine but every now adn then youd get a second or two garble.

im gonna get a gm9-aux and hook it up to an mp3 dvd player i have, in adition tot he 12 disc in the car, the neo changer works, just not very well
Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Kenwood mp922 stereo and have problems playing mp3 discs, I found Phillips cds work great and verbatim. Fuji(doesn't), Memorex(they vary manufacturers).
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dude I totally tried everything under the sun to get that freaking pos to work, because I really wanted it to work.

I tried making CBR 128 and 160 MP3 cds. Tried burning down to 1x speed, iso compliant, single session blah blah blah. Japanese media even. Blue, silver, green ink media types. Across 4 different burners.

Mine just didn't work for ****. Maybe I got a bad one. Woulda loved it if it worked.

Played store bought CD's just fine. Played normal wav CD's pretty ok, though it didn't like some of those too. MP3's, it almost never worked.

Neo can suck it. I'm either going to go with an ipod through aux or deal with and aftermarket h/u and having to take the damn face all the time (vert).

Originally Posted by Cephiros
well mp3's work decent if they are CBR and encoded within the given birate range (dont remeber it..i think 160 was max) wandom didnt work at all which blew, mp3's when switching disc's takes forever but so did cd's, mp3's overall played fine but every now adn then youd get a second or two garble.

im gonna get a gm9-aux and hook it up to an mp3 dvd player i have, in adition tot he 12 disc in the car, the neo changer works, just not very well
Old 11-06-2005, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Burn FUJIs at 1x (close the disk) and let it sit for a while after you burn it.
Fuji is the only cd-r (that i know of) on the market that uses the blue dye which is the easiest to read.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tried that, didn't work. Fuji JAPAN native discs, even. Single speed on a Pioneer.

Anyways the point of the thread now is just be warned before buying one of these things.

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Burn FUJIs at 1x (close the disk) and let it sit for a while after you burn it.
Fuji is the only cd-r (that i know of) on the market that uses the blue dye which is the easiest to read.

Search this Thread