Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

building my sound system...help me out.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building my sound system...help me out.

ok guys i am thinking about putting a little sound system in my camaro. what i figure i may do is this, tell me what you think.

HU:
Alpine 9827

speakers:
Infinity

DOORS- Infinity 6.5 Kappa perfect plus 6.1's(i already have these with custom tweeter mount in the vents)Infinity speakers

SAIL- i am thinking another set of the above speakers or other infinity or polk speakers(reason below)

HATCH-i am not sure if i am going to even bother with these...

AMPLIFIER(S):Infinity $ channel amplifier not sure on exact part number i know that specs are 111x4 RMS but i am sure that is a little overrated.
Infinity AMP

SUBWOOFER: I am thinking about getting the MTX thunderform enclosure that is preamplified and loaded.MTX enclosure

The reason that i chose the MTX enclosure and all infinity system is because i work at CC and can get this whole system for an EXTREMELY good deal. prob everything for like the cost of the MTX closure alone.

Let me know how you think this will all work out.

Also i do love the "tinny" sound of infinity speakers and have had them in cars before, i have had decent luck with that specific amplifier at work, they are great about never having engine whine and sound nice and clean.

I do not listen to rap very often, i listen more to rock/alternative(ie: Disturbed, Creed, 3doors down, 3 days grace, etc.) also a lot of dance/euro/hard house/etc.

Thanks
Louie

Last edited by half-n-half; 11-01-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get all that discounted from CC, sounds pretty good.

Just don't let them install it lolz.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

So what exactly do you need help with? If you like how everything sounds and you can get them dirt cheap, then it looks like you've got everything planned out.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thaar
So what exactly do you need help with? If you like how everything sounds and you can get them dirt cheap, then it looks like you've got everything planned out.

i am not a "know it all" and i wont act like it. i am looking into getting feedback on what others may think about the setup...sorry for that. is my mind made up? maybe but if others have had neg experience i would like to at least hear it.

Louie
Old 11-03-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO only.. I am a JL fan. Two sets of JL XR series componets and 2 JL 12" W3s powered by a 500/1 and a 300/4 will scream. I like Infinity for sound quality, but the above screams about my exhaust note..
Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by half-n-half
i am not a "know it all" and i wont act like it. i am looking into getting feedback on what others may think about the setup...sorry for that. is my mind made up? maybe but if others have had neg experience i would like to at least hear it.

Louie
I think you'll be happy with the system. I've never really been too big of a fan of MTX subs, but IMO its not the most important part of the system. Your front stage and install is what really is going to make your system shine. That being said, I would highly recommend using some sound deadening material. Second Skin makes some great products, but if you can get dynamat cheaper than that through CC, then go for it and use lots of it. Lastly, ditch the sail panel speakers. It's a waste of $ IMO.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ALPINE
IMO only.. I am a JL fan. Two sets of JL XR series componets and 2 JL 12" W3s powered by a 500/1 and a 300/4 will scream. I like Infinity for sound quality, but the above screams about my exhaust note..
Yes that will scream! I am running JL XR 6.5 components, JL XR 6.5 coaxials, 1 JL 10w3, powered by a 250/1 and 300/4 and the system sounds awesome!
Old 11-03-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue00WS6
Yes that will scream! I am running JL XR 6.5 components, JL XR 6.5 coaxials, 1 JL 10w3, powered by a 250/1 and 300/4 and the system sounds awesome!
I ran the same system just 2 12 w3s. A very good sound for the money.
-JC
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

i have strongly considered swapping the mtx sub out for a Jl w3...but i will wait to hear how it sounds.
i may consider some dynamat, i know that it makes a difference but i will choose to do or not to do at the time of purchase.

How would you guys suggest installing the dynamat. where are teh most important spots in your opinions?

Thanks
Louie
Old 11-04-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dynamat the doors. Most everything else, any rattles can be fixed by finding what is loose.

But doing the doors will help your noise levels alot.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by half-n-half
i have strongly considered swapping the mtx sub out for a Jl w3...but i will wait to hear how it sounds.
i may consider some dynamat, i know that it makes a difference but i will choose to do or not to do at the time of purchase.

How would you guys suggest installing the dynamat. where are teh most important spots in your opinions?

Thanks
Louie
Personally I like the jl sub more than mtx. My buddy has a mtx sub in his car and I think my jl hits harder and sounds nicer! But my car does have sound deadening in the whole hatch area to. So that might make a difference! If you are wanting sound deadening, it is cheaper to buy it from elemental designs. It is $1 - $1.50 per square foot! I know dynamat is expensive!! Here's the link to their site if you are interested:
http://edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=damp
Old 11-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

eDead is reasonably priced, but RAAMmat is probably the best value out there, but I think Second Skin is tops for quality and much cheaper than dynamat.

edit: fyi, many people were having problems with eDead falling off. I'm not sure if the problem has been resolved or not, or even if it were just installed wrong.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another vote for JL. The worst spots in mine were the rear speaker covers, the hatch below the windshield, the area inside the rear facia, and pretty much every seam in plastic in the truck area.
-JC
Old 11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have Kappa 60.5 Components up front, Kappa 62.5 coax's for the side panels, 2 10" Kappa Dual Voice Coil Subs. All powered by there 6 channel REF5760 amp. I went with this set up because I got a good deal on infinity. My head unit is the clarion DXZ945 MP.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good. The MTX sub is not that great, but should comliment the Infinities nice. You cna even look at buying an Infinity sub to swap into the MTX bax if you feel like it. Might be a slight difference.

I think CC sells the Bare enclosure also. I'd look into getting a second amp and build the sub side with the MTX box, infinity sub. Kappa of course.

But, the Powered MTX box is simple to install. IT's up to you. Everything else looks good. I stongly agree with the front choice. I would also look into some Coaxials for the rear sail to save some $$ and then spend it on upgraded wiring, BatCap or dynamat.

Also do the "Big 3" upgrade. It's the Alternator to batter cable, the Battery to Ground and the Engine to Chassis wiring. I can't feasably design, build and sell one myself, but I'm chatting with someone to make the kit for us that is more plug-n-play. Already cut to legnth and supplied with instructions and terminals to be crimped on.

Forget a regular capacitor. Either go for the Big 3 or a BatCap. I'd do both if you have the cash.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

ok well i was looking at some other things today, i figured that i could purcase infinitys 6 channel amplifier, the kkappa perfect up front, kappa coax in the sail, and a kappa perfect 10 Single voive coil. Then i would run the front four channels to their respective speakers, and bridge the rear two channels to the infinity sub.

I could then throw it into something along the lines of a Subthump "stealth" box. This way the whole car will stay infinity, and i am sure the infinity powered Kappa sub would sound better and get a little more power at my finger tips if i want/need the power.

In the end it will cost me about the same(even if i pay full price for the subthump box)

The discount i get on infinity is rediculous.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Those infinity subs are quite clean, but I still LOVE my JL 10w7 and I still have very little rattle... with little to no sound deadener.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah. Good sounding plan.

Should sound nice when you are done. If you can, get some decint form of Equilization for the whole system. Having the time and ability to adjust the sound will pay out in spades. Every car needs some form of Equilization.

Soild looking plan and something I would go for. Just get some good RCA's. They can make a difference between trouble and trouble-free install. Also see about getting some tips from the Install shop at CC. They may not be the best at what they do, but they can provide you with some good tips. You can also get their services at discount also if you run into a snag. You have alot of resources at your finger-tips working at CC. Just make sure to talk and get all Questions answered before you dig into the install.

It's not hard to do, but take your time and go Slow or stop if you are unsure of something. Like if a panel doesn't come off like it should, or too much pressure on something.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

i actually install at CC. so i know what i am doing...and i am not like most of the world prob thinks i am like...i do very well and i listen to others. i konw that most "installers" are cocky idiots and that is why CC installers get their name, i however came from a family owned shop that my dad clsed down due to illness, and now i work at CC. and i used to hate CC installers, but once you work their you realize that if you get the right group of guys together and a good manager(important) that some nice work can come out of there. I am mostly an alarm/remote start guy and in all truth there is not a car i cannot do perfect for remote start or alarm. i am good with systems, however not perfect, and i wont act that way until i am.

Last edited by half-n-half; 11-06-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

bringing this old thread back to life cause i installed my system about a month ago and came across this thread.

Well i went with a panasonic 7301 head unit.

Three sets of RCas running to the back to a DEI 500/4 amp and a DEI 400/2 amp.

The DEI 500/4 is powering the infinity Kappa perfect components in the doors and i installed 6.5 inch Kappa 3ways in the sail panels.

The 400/2 is powering one 10" Infinity kappa perfect VQ sub. the sub is in a subthump box that is .6 cubic feet and the Subwoofer has the Variable Q technology that i tuned for that size enclosure.
the amp is bridged to the sub which is 4 ohm single voice coil.

All in all i love the system it is perfect for what i like in my music and i am extremely happy with sub choice the most.

The only thing that i am somewhat unhappy with is that the kappas in the sail panel are 2 ohm...so i have the amp turned down on them, however it all still sounds great.

Louie

Search this Thread