Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

93 firebird v6 to L98 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 firebird v6 to L98 swap

car 93 Firebird V6 3.4L TO L98 5.7L from 89 Irock Camaro

ok guys I am starting my swap this weekend and I have some questions for you guys. The L98 engine was rebuild and has onlya bout 8k miles so I am not planing on doing any mods at this time just doind the swap.

one question that I have is will the L98 engine fit on my car with the stock exhaust manifold? or do I need to get some headers?.

another question is do I need to change the fuel pump?

do I need the motor mounts from an Lt1 or for the L98 ?

I think thats about it.

Parts I have for the swap from 89 Irock and 93-LT1

L98 Engine & trans from a 89 Irock Camaro
ECU and wiring harness
Radiator & fans
Fuel pump
k-member (93-LT1 $100 at junk yard)
complete rear end (diff with disk brakes from the 89 irock)
driveshaft

I think thats it if you guys see something that I am missing and that I need let me know.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Its IROC (International race of champions) not Irock
2. The l98 has traditional small block motor mounts so the lt1 mounts wont work. You will have to go motor place, tubular k member, or make your own mounts
3. Fuel pump will be fine, but youll need a regulator probably. Stock l98 regulator should work.
4. You probably wont be able to use the radiator or fan setup from it
5. Rearend is too skinny for the 4th gen body, unless you ran 3rd gen wheels on the rear of the 4th gen
6. The exhaust manifolds will prob work but i dont know whether they will line up with the Y or not.
7. The ecu and harness isnt going to be plug and play, so good luck
8. driveshafts should be the same

IMO, you would be much better off to just buy an lt1 car or swap an lt1 in the one you have. But if you really want to do this then good luck. You will probably be the first. And that is for a reason. Most people wouldnt want to downgrade to tpi. If you are going to do anything, i would just remove the fuel injection and slap on a performer intake and carb and run that setup.

Quick Reply: 93 firebird v6 to L98 swap