Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged 370 for torque and boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Naked AV

Default Forged 370 for torque and boost

Preparing for the ultimate demise of my 5.3L, I thought I would start gathering intel now for my next motor, and perhaps acquiring parts along the way as they go on sale.

I was thinking a forged 370 would be ideal for my application: a 6,000 lb truck, that will have a Radix bolted on top, with a mild torque cam, that can pass CA smog. Other options (I guess) would be another 5.3L, or perhaps an LS1, but I would want to do either of those with forged internals as well.

The reason I was thinking 370 is because I really like the off-idle torque characteristics of the Radix blower, and it seems that the ideal volume for the MP112 is 6.0L. Any higher than that (i.e. 402/408) and the Radix seems to be more restrictive than helpful.

Other considerations would be longevity, maintainability, and decent gas mileage. I realize mileage with a brick such as mine is elusive, but when I had 3.73's instead of 4.10's, I actually got 19.7 MPG on the freeway. If I could generate a little more torque with a different motor, I might go back to 3.73's so I could get the magic 1900 RPM on the freeway once again.

I've heard that a forged 370 can be more expensive than a 402/408, simply because there are a number of rotating assemblies already packaged and available for 40x motors, whereas with a 370, they would have to be assembled, matched, balanced, etc., ad hoc, which takes time and money. Is this true?

Would love some input on this.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you think u'll never want to go bigger than 6.0L (because of the Radix) then go with the 370. But you also gotta figure in all the times you've said "never" in the past and have been wrong. I personally wouldn't limit the biggest part of my setup by a certain bolt-on that I currently have, but that's just me. Some people never change their minds, I do all the time.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Naked AV

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
If you think u'll never want to go bigger than 6.0L (because of the Radix) then go with the 370. But you also gotta figure in all the times you've said "never" in the past and have been wrong. I personally wouldn't limit the biggest part of my setup by a certain bolt-on that I currently have, but that's just me. Some people never change their minds, I do all the time.
It's not just because I have a bolt-on. I will have to pass CA smog, and I'm not sure I can do that on a 402/408 that's worth making. I think I could do that on a 5.7L/6.0L worth making, but I'm not sure. Plus I wouldn't mind getting as much gas mileage out of this setup as I possibly could. Not looking for 30 mpg, but 18-20 would be nice. I'm trying to be efficient, as well as make as much power as possible. I'm not making a drag truck...I'm making a sleeper.