Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans mount giving me hell!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans mount giving me hell!

ok so i wasnt happy with the play i was getting in the shifter under heavy acceleration so i bought a prothane trans mount. now i have the worst vibrations through the whole car. it feels like i am running on 6 cyl's. anyone know what could be wrong? i am not getting any ses codes. the trans feels real solid, but the rest feels like garbage! HELP please. i had somebody at a local shop do the install for me. i am going to check it out tonight. any insight would be great.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

poly trans mounts are just terrible. The movement in the shifter is mostly from your torque arm (which is a long arm that connects the rear axle to the transmission). Go back to rubber and if the play in the shifter really bothers you, get poly motor mounts (which have no draw backs, unlike the trans mount) and get a torque arm setup that doesnt bolt to the transmission.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have the poly tranny mount, and mine does the same. I also have the poly motor mounts and does not make it any better.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

I have found if you grind the two rubber humps on the mount flat and install it without the spacer plate, it will reduce some of the vibration.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine never vibrated that bad. ever.. have a torque arm as well maybe that helped i know a local guy here who had it for a day then ripped it off
Old 11-03-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i inspected the motor mounts and the driver side show a small and what i would call a medium split in the rubber. if i go to poly motor mounts do they also cause similar vibration? anyone running poly motor monts and trans mount? or is poly motor mounts and the regular rubber trans mount a better street setup?
Old 11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigti99a
i inspected the motor mounts and the driver side show a small and what i would call a medium split in the rubber. if i go to poly motor mounts do they also cause similar vibration? anyone running poly motor monts and trans mount? or is poly motor mounts and the regular rubber trans mount a better street setup?
Evidently you didn't read my last post. I am running all poly mounts. It definately does not get better.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did read. just fishing for more info from others thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grind off the preload bumps. Helps alot. May want to take out the spacer plate too... some times it causes a slight mis-alignment in the drivetrain causing a vibration.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustin 98TA
I have found if you grind the two rubber humps on the mount flat and install it without the spacer plate, it will reduce some of the vibration.
I ground off the bumps on the Energy Suspension trans mount I put in a week ago. I like the 6 cylinder description, mine sounded just like that. It was not only much louder but made the car sound like a diesel truck that was running on 6 out of 8 cylinders. I ran it that way for 2 days and put the stocker back in. I was also getting false knock with the ES mount, car would pull back timing and fall on its face! My stock trans mount is starting to tear, so I ordered a new stock one on Monday.

Quick Reply: trans mount giving me hell!