Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What would look better? need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would look better? need opinions

Ok. I hate the fact that the back of my car looks like its raised up on 2X4s. I have decieded that i am either a) going to get bigger wheels (18's) or b) Lower the car 1 and 1/4 inch and keep my 16's. What would u guys recomend? I am thinking about getting long tubes later (Pacesetters) I dont know whether or not springs would interfere with this? Any suggestions u guys? Thanks

Last edited by BlackEcho; 11-04-2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck w/ the speed bumps of you're gonna lower it w/ long tubes. a little over an inch isn't that drastic tho, and lots of guys go lowered w/ long tubes, so just do a search and get some headers with the best ground clearance. stay away from the slp's tho, they have the WORST clearance i'e heard.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:09 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
good luck w/ the speed bumps of you're gonna lower it w/ long tubes. a little over an inch isn't that drastic tho, and lots of guys go lowered w/ long tubes, so just do a search and get some headers with the best ground clearance. stay away from the slp's tho, they have the WORST clearance i'e heard.
I have the SLP LT's and my car isn't lowered. I don't have any plans on lowering it, but if I did I think I'd switch header brands. The SLP LT's are low, but with the stock height I've had zero clearance issues.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

At some angles my ride height isn't so bad.....but, sometimes it looks like I've gotta tiny as wheels with all the space.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Just so you know, going with the bigger 18'' wheels won't help much at all with the 4x4 look. In fact, it might make it even worse since the larger wheels will draw attention to that area of the car.

Some people don't know it, but 18'' wheels will have the same overall size (with tires) as a 15'' or 16'' wheel. If it's a smaller wheel, tires with larger sidewalls are put on. And if its a larger wheel, tires with smaller sidewalls are used. Either way, they end up being the same size. Tony has a picture to illustrate this I believe. It just goes to show that the larger wheels won't fill the gap, as many think they will.

I'd suggest getting some wheels you want (17s or 18s if you want), then lowering the car later on. If you just put new wheels on, it will just look better, but will still be high. If you lower it, the stance will be good, but it will still have far too much tire on some tiny wheels. So it's up to you, but I'd say get the wheels you want, then lower.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, the bigger wheels are not going to get rid of the 4x4 look. you will decrease the sidewall percentage as you get a larger diameter rim, so you maintain the same outside diameter of the tire. lowering is the only way to fight the gap. with about a 1"-1.25" drop i dont think you are going to have any trouble with the LT's. just do some research on here and make sure to get a brand that tucks up decent (which most of the popular ones now do fine). as long as you dont plan on running true duals, i dont see a problem w/ lowering and LT's.