Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: What set up would you reccommend i go with for what im looking for?
ATI D1SC 8-Rib kit on 8 psi
44.55%
A turbo kit on 6-8 psi (Post which kit you think would work best for me. Thanks!
55.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 07:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped

Hey guys. Well i have done my research and am set on going FI on my stock motor. I have asked many questions, gained much knowledge and finally decided iwant to take the FI route..... jsut which path down that road.... s/c or turbo? I plan on running about 8 psi in hopes of over 450 rwhp. After i get the kit (whichever i decide on) installed and running, i am going to start saving up for a rear end and to build my 4l60-e. After thats all beefed up ill save for the motor rebuild. I have gotten many quotes so i know the price. I am looking at about $7,500 for the supercharger route to start off on 8psi all installed, tuned and ready to roll (D1SC 8-rib). For the turbo route i am not sure which kit best would fit my needs, maybe someone can direct me. I have gathered the info that Supercharger is prolly a safer route as the companies have been around for a long time where as turbo companies fade out after a few months. Also i hear of people having more trouble with turbos over s/c. However i think i might like the sound and stealth of the turbo. However i can see sometimes i might be chillin at a stoplihgt and wish everyone could hear and no that im supercharged by hearing a whine. But when showing off, a turbo would be a total surprise..... Also i hear of turbos making a bit more power than s/c. So my goals for now are over 450 rwhp with 8psi and shooting for low 11's maybe a high 10 with supporting suspension......which set up and kit would you reccommend i go for. Price is an issue but its not. Ill be able to swing a kit, but nothing too extravagent. Hoping to keep it under 8 grand installed/tuned for 8psi. Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 11-04-2005, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Haha, wow. You know your addicted to your car and/or speed when you use "being able to swing spending 8 grand on a kit, and it not being to extravagent" in the same sentence HAHA

Old 11-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put It On Yourself!

get a ati supercharger and put it on yourself and then pay
some one to tune it!
then you can feel proud yah had some wrench time into your car..
and save yourself a ton of cash ...
Old 11-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Joel@

Originally Posted by Superman09
So my goals for now are over 450 rwhp with 8psi
If you plan on running 8psi with turbo your going to have more then 450rwhp easy. You ll have like 560+rwt.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok well i added a poll. I know most of the ups and downs of each kits...... turbo's make more power but seem to have mroe problems.... superchargers have that amazing whine but turbos sound stock at idle and a jet once spooled. Both make great power....... Reliability is probably my biggest thing...... I want to make over 450 to the rears but dont dont to be having problems all the time if ever...... Please post which type you would think would best suit me. Thanks guys

Old 11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

Personally, I would just get some lq9 heads (lowers compression) and the procharger. For the power levels you want it will do just fine. And its a little "safer" with the lq9 heads. You also want to make sure you buy headers along with the procharger. Makes everything more efficient. Of course thats just my opinion. GL with everything.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea well full bolt ons will be finished before this goes on........ Another thing, ill be able to keep my exhaust if i go S/C. How much does a set of LQ9 heads run? Thanks More input...?

Old 11-05-2005, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I see used ones on ebay for around 400 bucks. Before you put them on you might want have them checked out first. Or you can order a set of Patriot heads for around $900 I think. You dont NEED the heads but for the price of them they are a fairly cheap safety net.

And also...Make sure to upgrade your valve springs to prevent any float.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok thanks.....anymore input? Im looking to spend no mroe than $8 grand TOTAL! Thanks. that price is not including rear, trans, motor build obviously. 8 grand for fully ready to go 8 psi set up. Thanks

Old 11-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Joel@

Ok thanks.....anymore input? Im looking to spend no mroe than $8 grand TOTAL! Thanks. that price is not including rear, trans, motor build obviously. 8 grand for fully ready to go 8 psi set up. Thanks
You can wait for our twin setup if you would like. Other wise are single is out. Thanks Joel @gmr
Old 11-05-2005, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ~RedLineLs1~
Personally, I would just get some lq9 heads (lowers compression) and the procharger. For the power levels you want it will do just fine. And its a little "safer" with the lq9 heads. You also want to make sure you buy headers along with the procharger. Makes everything more efficient. Of course thats just my opinion. GL with everything.

Old 11-05-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of H&C combo's that will get you over 450RWHP NA
Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

I might get whacked for saying this, but consider the STS kit... don't know if your lowered ride height would be an issue or not... even a front mount kit might be tough since you're lowered 2 inches.

I'm addicted to the turbo torque curve, so I'd go turbo!
Old 11-05-2005, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea well i decided i wanted to go FI.... for 2 reasons..... I can build my motor later and up the boost for more power.... can grow where as h/c cant. No im not spraying! Also everyone and there brother around where i am is doing h/c so i figured FI is my route..... now its just.... turbo or s/c?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Teching In

Reliability and power per dollar you can't beat a blower.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So how much more reliable is a blower than a turbo kit? on 8 psi about how much power will i put down with the D1SC and what about with a turbo kit..... roughly threw a stalled A4. thanks. Also....lets say i bought a used D1SC kit. Could i jsut follow the steps and install it all myself and drive it safely to get a tune.... or how do you go about that? Thanks

Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also poll is getting very close now...... some of the turbo guys.... chime in on why you voted that for me...im confused. thanks!

Old 11-06-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly, I would recommend driving a supercharged car and a turbocharged car to see what YOU like better. They're both pretty differeent... I like the overwhelming surge of mid-range torque you get with a turbo... makes driving REALLY fun. Go out and test drive a turbo car and a supercharged car... maybe a 1.8L Turbo VW GTI and a supercharged Cobalt SS... though not a perfect match, that's the best lineup I can think of right now. They're about equal on displacement, weight, etc... however the GTI has peak torque at 1950rpms while the Cobalt's peak torque is at 4400rpms... big difference!

And truthfully, the VW 1.8L Turbo engine is the MILDEST turbo engine on the market I can think of, nothing compared to the Lancer EVO, Subaru WRX, Volvo T4, etc. The Cobalt is pretty hearty performer for the price.

As far as reliability is concerned, if you get a reputable turbo kit, you should be fine. You will probably see reliability fall as you turn the boost up on both turbo and supercharged setups. ONE THING with a turbo setup is that you MUST change your oil at least every 3k miles. This is NOT negotiable on a turbo engine!

Also poll is getting very close now...... some of the turbo guys.... chime in on why you voted that for me...im confused. thanks!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went with turbo for a bunch of reasons. Fist of all, the setup I would want to run with a supercharger would end up costing more than I was willing to spend (FMIC and belt slip issues which need to be solved). Second was parasitic loss, really didn't want to deal with it. Another reason was drivability, down here in florida a perfectly sunny day can turn into a horrible thunderstorm in a matter of seconds. While some people think having 600rwtq a 1000rpms is a great thing, I'll pass on that while its raining. Another thing was upgradeability, I have a metric ****-ton of turbos to choose from, superchargers are rather limited. Wanna change the boost setting on your turbo? change the WG spring or boost controller setting. Supercharger? better go buy a new pulley. I feel like i'm rambling, so if you have any specific questions i'll let you know my opinion
Old 11-06-2005, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok thanks a lot...... Well see now i am totally unsure what i want....... Im in MI and car is only drivin half the year due to snow..... My goal is over 450 to the rears threw stalled A4...... Car is drivin 99% on street. It may see the track later once i get the trans/rear to support it. I jsut basically need something reliable that i can drive everyday and have a ton of fun with it on the weekends. Not real sure if i want my torque early like a s/c or wait for it to spool like a turbo but turbo does make mroe overall power...... As of right now i am totally unsure. Someone convince me.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo for me???? Totally stumped