Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Finally, PRELIM numbers, home T76 kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally, PRELIM numbers, home T76 kit. VIDEO

http://users.wpi.edu/~oroberts/ktr_0001.wmv
EDIT: Here is the video. I'm a college student and this video was recorded and edited by a friend who really likes boosted LS1's. Enjoy the whole video, I'm pictured in the beginning looking at a Maserati engine and my car is towards the end.

It's been a long time coming, but I finally got some dyno time today. There were lots of pros and cons, but I have to say I am VERY pleased with the results.

To start, the guys running the dyno were great, but they wouldn't rev the car past 5000 RPM because they were afraid of the A/F ratio. I have to respect the fact that they respect my car enough to watch out for its well being, but I've made several full RPM passes on the highway in all gears and never had a problem.

This run was made with a Don Kinder tune (Slowhawk) that he did sight unseen with regards to the car. I brought him my PCM and he tuned it based on what I told him the car had. It was meant to get me up and running so I could get all the kinks worked out of it before I brought it to him for the final tune. That was back in April. Don I hope you remember me as I paid for half a tune (Mario Ferraro). Anyway, he told me he tuned it wayyyy safe, but I still baby the car around because I'm afraid of it.

Here are the specs:

Innovative T76
OBX intercooler
317 heads
222/218 114 cam
Comp 918 valve springs
Walbro 255 lph pump
42 lb/hr SVO injectors
Tial 40mm WG
1G DSM blow off valve
Spec stage 4 ceramic 6 puck

Results were 444.9 rwhp and ~510 rwtq. Spool time is slow and I only have 240 ft-lb before the boost kicks in, but I am willing to bet that is largely due to the tune. Car held rock solid at 9.5 psi, but the A/F graph looked way wacked out, so I guess I can see why the dyno dudes cut it short. This was at KTR performance in Ayer, MA. It was a Dyno Dynamics Dyno.

Feedback is appreciated, but I feel like it isn't too bad for a VERY budget conscious kit. I have video of the dyno runs and some pics that I have yet to upload to my server but I will get them up ASAP.

Last edited by EightBallTTA; 11-08-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hp was still heading up. i think it looks great. any pics of your kit? and once you get it tuned and rev it higher i feel those numbers will look a lot better.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KAOS
hp was still heading up. i think it looks great. any pics of your kit? and once you get it tuned and rev it higher i feel those numbers will look a lot better.
Thanks, I saw that it was still rising which is why I was frustrated with them not revving it higher. I also am very pleased because I was expecting a much lower number because of the type of dyno I was on, so the 500+ rwtq number is awesome, in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Launching!

nice numbers for a blind tune....you should be making 600rwhp no problem with precise tuning....what octane were you running and how much timing?
Old 11-06-2005, 07:38 AM
8 Second Club

I would put a real bypass valve on that thing.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by socalstreetracer
nice numbers for a blind tune....you should be making 600rwhp no problem with precise tuning....what octane were you running and how much timing?
This was on 93 octane, I don't know how much timing I was running. I'll find that out once I see Don again.

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
I would put a real bypass valve on that thing.
I know I definitely do. I've been meaning to get a new one for the longest time, but I don't have enough money right now for one... I have to prioritize, and paying rent and getting the rest of the tune done is more important at this point.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

can you post some pics of the kit, or do you have a link to another thread where there are pics of the kit?

sounds like a good base line setup, hopefully you pick up alot more power with the full tune though.

kinda sucks about them not revving it up all the way, but if they did and it blew wed be having another conversation all thogther
Old 11-08-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Video is posted at the very top of the thread.

I can post some pics now because since I put up some decent numbers I won't care about people seeing the horrible welds. (This was my first experience welding and fabricating anything, so needless to say I am a little better now) I plan on redoing the kit this winter to make it a bit better .

I'll get the pics up later tonight when classes are done.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool what kind of compression are running???
Old 11-08-2005, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Great job. I think you will pick up a lot of power with a good tune. Here is my dyno graph completley stock 98 ls1 @ 5 psi. Motor is in a ulitma not a firebird but at 9.5 psi you should make alot more than me @ 5 psi.

mark
Old 11-08-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkoch1
Great job. I think you will pick up a lot of power with a good tune. Here is my dyno graph completley stock 98 ls1 @ 5 psi. Motor is in a ulitma not a firebird but at 9.5 psi you should make alot more than me @ 5 psi.

mark
Mark, you're running 10.1:1 compression if your motor is totally stock, I'm somewhere between 9.2 and 9.6 compression. Second, 413 dynojet hp equates to about 350-375 hp on a dyno dynamics from what they told me (10-15% lower on a dynojet). Third, my power would have increased a LOT had he revved it past 5k. Not bad numbers though for you at 5 psi. Do you have any pictures of the Ultima?
Old 11-08-2005, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was wondering what happened to you If I remember correctly the tune was way safe so you could drive it around and work out the bug's before we final tune it.The timing is probly at 10-12 degree's and even low in the spoolup area which will bring out the lag. Either way it looks like a good start,just get to me and we'll get the tune spot on
Old 11-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Restricted User

Great numbers for a home built kit at only 5k RPM! Did you reverse your stock exhaust manifolds or fab up some log type manifolds?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I was wondering what happened to you If I remember correctly the tune was way safe so you could drive it around and work out the bug's before we final tune it.The timing is probly at 10-12 degree's and even low in the spoolup area which will bring out the lag. Either way it looks like a good start,just get to me and we'll get the tune spot on
Hey Don! Thanks I'm glad to hear that you remembered me, I was worried about that. It's been a looooong uphill battle that took the entire summer. Once I fixed one thing, something else would break and start giving me problems. I had to replace the clutch which wouldn't hold the power past 4k RPM, and I had to save up the money for that which eliminated all hope of getting the car tuned before the end of the season. But now I'm ready so I'll give you a call sometime soon. Thanks for responding
Old 11-08-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Great numbers for a home built kit at only 5k RPM! Did you reverse your stock exhaust manifolds or fab up some log type manifolds?
Nope, this is using the stock manifolds facing the stock direction. I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Quick Reply: Finally, PRELIM numbers, home T76 kit.