Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Wear Cam. Help me pick one please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Low Wear Cam. Help me pick one please.

Sorry to start yet another "which cam" thread but I don't see many threads that address the qualities I'm looking for. (BTW, I've read the cam sticky. Good info! But I'd like to hear from the masses.)

I drive this car every day when the weather is good and I only hit the drag strip once or twice per year. Good manners on the street is important to me. I don't need a cam that makes peak torque and HP @ high rpm. I want a decent increase in torque over a wide range of RPM, and I want a cam that will not destroy the stock heads and lifters any time soon.

I like what I've read about the TR224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA, performance-wise. But is this a cam that will go easy on the rest of the valve train?

Is there a cam out there that will be wear-friendly and still provide enough performance increase to be worth the money and effort?

Thank you in advance for any advise

Mark

Last edited by ShevrolayZ28; 11-06-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one I had back in the day. was the GM performance parts ASA cam. it is I believe 226/236@110 with only .525 lift. which made it easy on valvetrain parts. and It made around 390rwhp with all of the bolt on's. well not an electric water pump and on stock heads. but everything else. and now with the better heads that are out and intakes, throttle bodies. you should be way better than that. and it didnt ever buck or act crazy on the street. with a good tune that would be my choice.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your recommendation. That looks to be a more mellow cam, a cam that would be easy on wear.

I guess my first post is asking for a cam that offers middle performance but with mild cam wear, an unrealistic expectation I guess.

I'll do some more digging and take a closer look at the cam you've suggested. The survey continues.