Sponsored by:

Engine Tear Down

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Tear Down

Hey fellas,

I have some questions. My car has been running like a champ ever since I got it, however there has been a ticking sound always present. Its the kinda ticking sound that goes up with RPM's and dissappears after 2500 rpm, but maybe I cannot hear it. I done numerous searches on this site and have narrowed it down to a few options:
- Bent valve
- Bent pushrod
- Bad lifter
- possible loose spark plug but slim chance.

At any rate, I have been granted the opportunity to get my engine and car worked on by a very respectable mechanic who will actually take his time and explain to me what he is doing. He is an older guy whose been a gearhead his whole life and I think he enjoys teaching rookies like me some new tricks when it comes to engines. He's built a 8 second drag car btw which is freakin sweet.

Now to my question: Can a LS1 be dissassembled to the point where he can diagnose and replace whatever the cause might be within one day? My car is a daily driver so it would have to be a Saturday/sunday job. Also, would the engine need to be removed to gain access to all the components which may be the cause of my problem? Finally would it be worth it to have him diagnose and fix the problem, or just hang tough and get everything replaced when I get a cam? This might be a bit of a noob ? but I've searched alot and have found all kinds of solutions but none specific. I thank you guys for your time and any advice/comment/criticism is welcome.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes - it can be done.
You basicaly will have to tear out the heads, to see if pushrods, lifter or valves are bent.
(Actualy checking pushrods will take you only a couple hrs)
For lifters and valves you'll need to remove heads.

It's doable in one day

Consult www.ls1howto.com for detailed procedure writeup with detailed pictures.

Good Luck !!!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe a 22 hour day, if your talkin build up too, you wont be able to access/inspect the botom end without removal
Old 11-06-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, but he's talking about inspecting spark plugs, valves, pushrods, and valves - that's not "bottom end" All these involve removing heads at the most. Head removal and install is doable in one day. Once you rip the heads you have access to valves and lifters. Pushrods are removed way earlier when rockers are removed....

Trust me - I've been there....

p.s he mentioned saturday/sunday, so basically he has a whole weekend to do it - plenty of time !
Old 11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Dear Lunatic, (that's kind of funny when you think about it)

I would make arrangements for other transportation just in case. You never know what you are going to find until you open it up and thus you never know how long it will take to fix it for sure. Often there can be a delay just to get the right parts.

As for myself I try not to rush anyone who is working on my car. My C5 is my 3rd car so I have a definate advantage there. However, the guys who work on our cars are craftsmen and quality work takes time. Better that they do it right than they do it fast... within reason of course.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I once did a tear down in my t/a and well It hasnt started since august. haha although I am putting a 408 in it b/c I found problems in the bottom end. how many miles are on the car and how hard do you beat on it. mine had the same type of ticking but it would fall flat on it's face. have no power at all. and I tore it down and everything looked alright. and well now a whole new motor is goin in. so I never found what caused my problem but if you are in there and have the heads off might as well change out the lifters. I have had a few go bad on me from the large cam I was running. hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

My car is an 02 with barely 18K on the clock. Occasionally I'll get it on it, especially when GT's are around but its only seen the track once with 3 passes. I baby my car more then I get on it and it does not fall flat on its face when I do. My sig denotes how much hp and tq I have so I dont have any issues with that. Another thing which seems to be of concern when ticking is found is oilpressure. My oil pressure is always around 50, under acceleration around 60 and during wot possibly 65-75 ( dont know how accurate the gauge is) The guy who will be working on my car is a mechanic 5 days a week and owns his own shop. I have no doubt in his mechanical skills but just as I said, its a daily driver and I would need it during the week. He's cutting me a real good deal at $35 an hour so my modding is about to commence after I get the "ticking" sound fixed.

Thanks again guy for all your input, I really appreciate the input. I agree with LeMansBlue04, I was not really wanting to get another means of transportation but he makes a valid point. Has anybody ever have to pay for a rental vehicle? Do they charge you by day or week? What would I be looking at?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

rental fees are per day. You can get a cheap ford focus, or some hyundai for as low as $25/day Go see budget, hertz, avis -rent-a-car website. You can rent one for Monday-Tuesday, so that would give you 4 days :-)
Old 11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did lifters, which requires taking off the heads. Took me three solid days, but about half to 3/4 of a day was spent tracking down parts. Do yourself a favor and make sure you have gaskets, headbolts, etc before hand. A normal car parts place aint gonna have an ls1 headgasket for you. Might want to replace lifters while youre in there anyway. Better to have extra parts and consider returning them afterwards rather than to be stuck needing something on a sunday night.